Introductions

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Auntu

Re: Introductions

Post by Auntu »

Hi Im from Bangladesh. Addicted to banglacricket.com. It is where tiger fans belong.
It's Naeem once again! Tigers roars back!
banglacricket.com

bullseye28

Post by bullseye28 »

This is Robin. I operate under username bullseye28 in this forum and Robin2855 in PlanetCricketForums where I mostly post.

I am a Canadian with my roots in Bangladesh.

I am an International Cricket fan. My favorite Cricket playing countries being Australia and South Africa as they are miles ahead of others in all aspects of Cricket although India has improved by leaps and bounds and lately I have also started to develop keen interest in them .But when it comes to any match between Bangladesh and any cricketing countries I am instinctively leaned towards Bangladesh..

I have a Chemical Engineering and Computer Programming background but now in Business development.

I have an insatiable passion for cricket and like to share my wealth of cricket knowledge with fans of different backgrounds by disseminating ideas via threads and posts.

I try to see things from a neutral aspect and like to give credit where it is due but at the same time speak my mind when things needs to be addressed and sorted out.

My all time favorites are (Imran Khan, Sunil Gavaskar, Sir Vian Richards, Sir Gary Sobers, Shane Warne, Sachin Tendulkar, Dennis Lillee).

My Asian Favorites : (Wasim Akram, Javed Miandad, Saeed Anwar, Inzamamul Haq, Kapil Dev, Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, Virendra Sehwag, M S Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh, Aravinda De Silva, Jayasurya, Mahela Jayawardene).

Bangladesh Favorites : Saqib, Mashrafe, Tamim, Ashraful, Rahim , Raqib and newbees: (Mahmudullah, Rubel and Nayeem).

As far as Zimbabwe is concerned the legendary Flower Brothers, Taibu and Raisnford and Chigumbura just added post last One dayer.

Since we currently have a Bangladesh and Zimbabwe one dayers on and another in October I thought it would make sense to get associated with a Zimbabwean forum and share views with other readers.

My favorite readers in this forum so far : Zimfan1, Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) and Detective RDS.

Any readers interested in getting enriched in their knowledge on Greatest Cricketers of all time (Batting, Bowing, Captaincy with variations) can have access to my Threads and posts in PlanetCrcketForums .Hints : type GREATEST in Search tool ) and look for username robin2855)or check my articles which is mostly about Bangladesh West Indies/ Zimbabwe Hints : Go to PlanetCricketForums website. Then go to Cricket Discussion and then to Member Articles :

It is still early days for me and I will see how things progresses.

Cheers!
Last edited by bullseye28 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Makhaya00

Post by Makhaya00 »

Hey, my name is Makhaya and I am a proud Zimbabwean. I love cricket and I love watching Zimbabwe play. My favourite all time Zimbabwe players would be the Flower brothers,Heath Streak,Henry Olonga and Dion Ebrahim. My favourite current Zimbabwean players are Prosper Utseya,Vusi Sibanda,Elton Chigumbura and many more.
Proud Zimbabwean

triedzi

Post by triedzi »

Hi my name is Triedzi and I am Harare born and bred though I have been in the UK for the last ten years. I have been a cricket fanatic all my life though unfortunately not a great player. I was however a scorer during my school years and was in the same year and school as Barney Rogers. As a result I came across almost all the players who are now playing for the national side and saw players like Taibu and Masakadza play from the age of thirteen onwards...

sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by sloandog »

Heyy my name's Sloandog. I've only just joined the forum but already i think i'm gonna enjoy listening and reading to everybody elses ideas. I was born in Harare but sadly moved when i was very little, and am now based in the U.K (Manchester to be precise.) I play my cricket at Woodhouses C.C 1st XI, making my debut with a century at the age of 14 :D

2 years on i was selected to play for for lancs under 18's, and i loved every minute of it. I opened the bowling and the batting, and was recently cloked at 80mph. Hopefully i can continue :P

I'm a HUGE zimbabwe fan !!! I first saw zim play against India in 2004 where Sean Ervine cracked a miaden 100. Since that day on, i've followed, whatched and even wrote about Zimbabwe cricket. My favourite players are probably Sean Ervine, Raymond Price, Heath Streak, Greaeme Cremer, Charles Coventry and Elton Chigumbura ;)

It's always been my life long ambition to play for zimbabwe, and my intentions are to back and play domestically. Hopefully they'll take me on. I'm still only 17 years old, so fingers crossed.

Oh by the way, my favourite people on this facebook has to be Detective RDS, BRMTaylor.com, Sir Mupariwa and zimfan1. Keep going guys,
:W: :W: :W: :W: :W:

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Detective RDS, my actual name is Brendan. I am a student. I have got a great amount of interest in cricket and music. I support South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, England and of course Zimbabwe, worth to metion.

I used to watch cricket mathes in the television from my very childhood and from then I started to love the game very much. It has become my passion right now. From my boyhood, I started to like Zimbabwean team also. Zimbabwe was a much competitive side then. I was impressed with the players and liked the red Zimbabwean outfits very much then. A Zimbabwean bird was placed in the middle in it and ' ZIMBABWE ' was written over that.

If I recall correctly when I first watched a Zimbabwean cricket match (In the late 90's/Early 2000's), the side probably looked like this: N Johnson, A Campbell (C), M Goodwin, A Flower (WK), G Flower, S Carlisle, G Whittal, H Streak, P Strang, H Olonga, E Brandes.

I became a strong Zimbabwean cricket fan when I watched Zimbabwe playing in the VB Series in Aus back in 2004. Captain Heath Streak and then coach Geoff Marsh was setting the things right again after the loss of players like Campbell, Johnson, A Flower, Goodwin, Whittal, Strang, Murphy etc. I think, Zim was well upto the mark. I guess, Zimbabwe played 3 close matches in that series but unfortunately lost all of them. The 100+ partnership between Sean Ervine and Stuart Carlisle is still fresh in my mind. Zimbabwe eventually lost the match against India by just 3 runs. Streak, Blignaut, Price and all other players played well in that series. It was the series where Mark Vermeulen was stuck in the head by Irfan Pathan in Brisbane.

Zimbabwe was looking competitive again. After the end of Bangladesh series in 2004, the unexpected rebel strike came. 15 white Zimbabwean players quit and I think only Vermeulen and Ebrahim made themselves available for selection at that point of time. I became interested about the fact. I watched the 1st ODI match vs SL which Zimbabwe played just after the strike. I can remember, Brendan Taylor came with a good reputation even then also at the age of 18. But was cheaply bold by Chaminda Vaas in his ODI debute. Taibu played a good innings and showed some skills as a captain despite he didn't get much success. I can clearly remember that.

I really didn't like the idea of keeping the main players out of the national side. In 2005 in the 1st match of the Videocon Tri Series vs NZ, I didn't know that some of the players were back again. I was very happy to see Carlisle-Wishart opening, Streak and Blignaut in the team despite they both returned before it in the Sou series. I can remember, Coventry's blasted hitting in the tri series. I rated him highly then and knew this player is something. I wasn't wrong really after the world record ( :D )

But after the India series in 2005, all the players quit again. Carlisle, Wishart, Streak, Blignaut and even Coventry disappeared after that. Rogers was also out after the Sou series. I didn't find Ferreira also after he made his test debute vs NZ. Even Taibu quit some days after that. Panyangara suffered injury while playing against Sou and wasn't seen after that. Add Ebrahim and Ewing also in the list.

I completely lost my interest for Zimbabwean cricket after that. Even although Brent returned and Taylor, Duffin, Ireland, Williams were around for a while. I didn't support Zimbabwe in 2006, 2007 and early 2008. In between this time, Ireland quit after WC 2007, Tayor, Duffin and Brent also quit in early 2008. Williams quit and returned also. Taibu returned in late 2007, I think.

One day while reading newspaper, I found that Raymond Price played agaisnt West Indies ! I was very shocked+happy to see that. I again gained interest in Zimbabwean cricket. I knew that Price was a world class bowler, aggressive in attitude and very successful in tests against stronger sides also.

I watched the ODI series of Zimbabwe against SL last year where Zim struggled lately to win though they were competitive enough with the presence of Price, Williams, Taibu etc. I searched in CricInfo about some former players, where they have gone, what they are doing, how they can be completely disappeared from the scene, aren't they playing any cricket at all ?

CricInfo wasn't able to give me enough current information about them. I searched about Barney Rogers in the net and found ZCF. I went through some of the threads and realized that this is the place where I should search and should be. I registered and joined here and now I am proud member here. I started to write about former players and they should be brought back for the betterment of cricket, cut out politics from cricket, forget black-white descrimination it's modern world of 21st century and above all they are all human beings like this. And finally my wishes have come true.

I am very happy now. Even some of my classmates also agreed that the Zimbabwean side which played recently against Bangladesh was much stronger and looked like the old Zimbabwean side.

Anyways wrote a lot...

My favourite Zimbabwean players are:

Raymond Price, Barney Rogers, Andy Blignaut, Mark Vermeulen, Brendan Taylor, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower, Heath Streak, Tatenda Taibu.

My favourite international players:

Kevin Pietersen (ENG), Brendon McCullam (NZ), Shane Bond (NZ), Graeme Smith (SOU), Abraham De Villiers (SOU), Dale Steyn (SOU), Marcus Trescothick (ENG),
Adam Gilchirst (AUS), Mathew Hayden (AUS), Shane Warne (AUS), Brett Lee (AUS),
Shane Watson (AUS), Justin Kemp (SOU), Ross Taylor (NZ), Johan Botha (SOU),
Chritopher Gayle (WI), Geraint Jones (ENG), Mathew Hoggard (ENG),
Simon Jones (ENG), Shakib-al-hasan (BAN), Shahriar Nafees (BAN), Tamim Iqbal (BAN)

MY ALL TIME BEST PLAYER: SHAUN MACLEAN POLLOCK (SOU).
Last edited by Detective RDS on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

to be fair Detective i remember when you first joined and opended threads about former players returning and i read them more in hope than expectation. I remember one thread you did about Mark Vermuelen and have ZC should forgive him let him resume his international career, i remember commenting on it almost scornfully and saying that there was no chance, but one week latter the news broke that ZC were to give him a domestic contract and a path back to the international stage that he has now completed. God im glad i was wrong :D

My line is now that there is no chance that Sean Ervine will return to international cricket for Zimbabwe, domestic maybe but not international. I hope i am proven wrong, my theroy is that if i deny the chance of him returning then i will be wrong and he will return :D

americanzimfan

Post by americanzimfan »

My name is John and I think I am about the only American on the boards. I have been a fan of the Zimbabwe Cricket team since I was in India in 2001. I'm still learning the game, but it is quite fun to watch and I try to watch the matches whenever I can. I've been in touch with Maehara and some others before on email and appreciate them taking their time to explain some of the more basic points of the game and rudimentary information on the players.

Great site and thanks for putting it up.

john

Favorite players were Andy Flower, Heath Streak and Henry Olonga. Currently I'm a big fan of Brendan Taylor and Charles Coventry.

Really would like to know more about Peter Moor from the Under 19s and why it is nearly impossible to order a Zim ODI shirt.

MichelleMuko

Post by MichelleMuko »

Hi. My name is Michelle. I grew up in Zim and loved Zim cricket. I was forever at Harare Sports Club. I loved the greats like Alistair Campbell, Guy Whittal, the Flowers, Craig Wishart. I also have such faith in the young players like Utseya, Sibanda, Panyangara. Am happy Vermeulen is back :-). Whatever happened to Andy Blignaut?

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Welcome to the boards!
MichelleMuko wrote:Whatever happened to Andy Blignaut?
Working his family business these days, according to most reports. Chances of a return to Zim cricket? Unlikely. :(