Introductions

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Introductions

Post by Jemisi »

G'Day Robbo

cricketfan

Post by cricketfan »

Hello everbody, after some hesitation I decided to join the forum as well :)

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Great, welcome, don't hesitate to participate and post

AngusBeef

Post by AngusBeef »

G'day all,
I'm a fairly new fan of Zimbabwe cricket. Though I've never been to Zimbabwe or have any real connection to the country, every since this year's World Cup I've found myself supporting this Zimbabwean team. I've lived my whole life in South-East Queensland, and when the world cup came to town it seemed only natural as an avid cricket fan to make it to as many matches as possible; including Zimbabwe Vs Pakistan at the Gabba.

Earlier I had seen the scorecard in the match where Zimbabwe were able to give South Africa a scare and being someone who loves an underdog I decided to give my support to Zimbabwe that day. I sat in with Zim fans and was surprised to see we had the weight of numbers as opposed to the Pakistanis. The atmosphere was tremendous, and easily one of the best times I've been to the cricket. The fans were passionate and weren't afraid t make their voices heard! :D

Although the result was short of a fairy-tale finish, ever since then they've had a special place for my cricket support. For the rest of the tournament I followed the Zim matches on ABC radio and became quite interested in the players. Before the tournament I wouldn't of even been able to name more than one or two Zim players but by the end of tournament I had done my research on the team and found players which I really liked. Blokes like BT, Williams, Raza, Panyangara all really grew on me.

More and more I found myself looking for info on these guys and following media to do ZimCricket. I streamed Zimbabwe's tour pakistan and watched every match. Though they won't able to jag a win, just about every match provided a good contest and was great to watch as someone who is a fan of world cricket. I did the same in the recent India series as well. More wins would've been nice, but what was better seeing how Zimbabwean players approach the game. I feel as though the Zim team play such an honest, hard fought brand of cricket which I really have a lot of admiration for.

I still support Australia, but for me following them has become stale as they are rarely challenged and winning is a bit so-so. I'd much rather have a team that puts in a good contest every match (well at most of the time :P ). My mates call me crazy, and they are probably right, but I don't care. I am now the proud owner of a Zimbabwean jersey and wear it while I stream games to show my support (much to cricket-crazy housemates' disapproval).

Our most recent match against India typified everything I love about the team. The team has no super-stars but everyone's energy and commitment in the field dragged them over the line against a team who thinks they're too good to send their proper team :) , a classic case of the underdog busting their guts to rival the favourites.

Since I discovered this forum it has been my go-to place to find the latest team news and analysis. I've found etiquette on the site quite good and surprised to see such a community existed, let alone one of this standard. From me you probably won't see the most active poster as I don't follow the domestic system though can I just say thank-you to the posters who do keep this site active as it provides me and plenty others with great insight where it seems to be forgotten about in most other cricket communities.

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Welcome AngusBeef, there are plenty of Aussies on here.

AngusBeef

Post by AngusBeef »

Jemisi wrote:Welcome AngusBeef, there are plenty of Aussies on here.
Thanks for the welcome! out of curiosity what proportion of posters would you say are currently living in Zimbabwe?

SpitfiresKent
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by SpitfiresKent »

AngusBeef wrote:out of curiosity what proportion of posters would you say are currently living in Zimbabwe?
There's probably a lot of them signed up but the regular posters seem to be from outside of ZIM.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly,Jimmylesaint,Gargamel,Tawac and Conant from my observation are the most active ground Zero zimbabwe residents.
Zimdan comes in and out as well. I think Bayhaus was a zim resident till recently.

In Zimdans absence, Googly is the lone white guy of the crew, i point this out because race relations and racial perspective is always big when talking Zimbabwean cricket.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Googly,Jimmylesaint,Gargamel,Tawac and Conant from my observation are the most active ground Zero zimbabwe residents.
Zimdan comes in and out as well. I think Bayhaus was a zim resident till recently.

In Zimdans absence, Googly is the lone white guy of the crew, i point this out because race relations and racial perspective is always big when talking Zimbabwean cricket.
Unless of course jimmylesaint is actually white.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

eugene wrote:
ZIMDOGGY wrote:Googly,Jimmylesaint,Gargamel,Tawac and Conant from my observation are the most active ground Zero zimbabwe residents.

Unless of course jimmylesaint is actually white.

My mouth is zipped.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*