Introductions

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Introductions

Post by maehara »

New to the boards, or just want to make yourself known? Say hi and introduce yourself to the members here. We promise we won't bite. :)

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Introductions

Post by maehara »

I'll lead by example, shall I?

maehara, webmaster of zimcricketnews.com amongst others, main interests are cricket (obviously!) and anime (Japanese animation), which is the focus of another website I run.

Born in Bulawayo, raised in Harare, attended the same primary school as Doug Marillier and the Flower brothers (North Park Primary) - although they were all in different years from me, so I can't claim to having ever really known them. Herman Muller, who coached the Flowers there and identified their early talent, sadly failed to do my own woeful cricketing skills much good. :lol:

Now live in Northern Ireland, and am also a keep supporter of the Ireland cricket team. Which made a certain 2007 World Cup match a rare form of torture.

Over to you all...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

As my username suggests, I run http://www.brmtaylor.com so any time you see an article with "Posted by brmtaylor.com admin" that is me :) The website name was chosen because Brendan Taylor is my favourite Zim player, especially after the famous last ball six against Bangladesh.
I'm Aussie, so naturally I support the Australian cricket team. But when Zimbabwe played Australia in the ICC World Twenty20 I was barracking for Zim :4:

BWTaylor

Post by BWTaylor »

Like yourself brmtaylor, I was born and still live in Australia but have a similar enthusiasm in the Zimbabwean cricket team. I even travelled through Zimbabwe (Mutare, Chivhu, Gweru, Bulawayo, Victoria Falls) in 2007. I’ve been a keen visitor to your site over the last couple of years I think you guys do a good job of it and good to see that you can keep us updated on the domestic cricket scene as well, much appreciated.

I find it fascinating that a country with such a small player base (historically let alone present day) has produced so many quality players over the years. But observing the goings on over the last ten or so years there have been so many “what ifs” and tragic let downs, but I find the good times always reward me for my loyalty (the 20/20 win over Australia, Ray Price’s brilliance finally getting the recognition it deserves etc). The Zim boys make Bangladesh look silly considering that country has more players to choose from etc and let’s not forget how long it took New Zealand to build up a decent team (I was reading somewhere it was 50 years before they won a test match).

Some of my favourite players include Neil Johnson, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower, Brendan Taylor, Sean Ervine, Craig Wishart, Anthony Ireland, Tatenda Taibu, Andy Blignaut not to mention the others who were raised there: Graham Hick, Duncan Fletcher etc. It’s just such a shame that a lot of the ex players have had their international careers ruined by the powers that be and end up being cricketing nomads or having to give up cricket all together.

Keep up the good work.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Welcome to the forum BWTaylor :D
I agree with your point about the small player base, it is amazing that Zimbabwe has produced so many quality players. And continues to do so! Guys like Waller and Mutizwa have real potential, so it will be interesting to see where they are at when they have 100 ODI's under their belt.

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

Sir Mupariwa is the name, have been here for quite some time. Am in Zim and hardly ever miss an international match. I played cricket for sometime and the last match i played i was hit by a cricket ball after having taken my helmet off<i thought i was seeing the ball well> i was batting with Gerald Masakadza elder brother to Hamilton. I love cricket, infact im crazy about cricket...i can watch any match.
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Let me take Guard, Centre please sir? Excellent siteman love it!!! Bayhaus,(after the design movemnet of the 1920s) I am based in eJozi though havent been to the wanderers but managed to travel to zim for the Sri Lanka series and though we didnt win it was well worth it! I played a bit of cricket in Highschool one of my highlights being keepin wicket for Andy Blignaught when he was the fastest bowler in school by cricket,at Casuals cricket festival in Mutare, ealier had played against the late Trevor Madondo, Tafadzwa madondo in the same festival. Played with the Strang brothers and Kevin Barbour in the Manicaland league. My favourite players are Chigumbura, Taylor ,Vusi hamilton, of the current batch of players, and i really liked Tinashe Panyangara, man i hope those boys come back man.
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

right i was born in Harare lived there till i was 18, am now studying in Bristol in the UK but am undecided about where my future lies, would love to go back after my degree and help rebuild the country, am a cricket fanatic not a bad player. My favorite players are Malcolm Waller and Ed Rainsford and my hero is Andy Waller as he gave me a cricket bat when i was a kid

Eshen

Post by Eshen »

Hello guys and gals, a Bangladeshi fan here. I live in USA though.

syedmahm

Post by syedmahm »

Hi,
Just found this forum few days ago. Reading some of the threads and facinated by some of the member's writing, decided to join myself. I am from Khulna, Bangladesh. I am really happy to be here as this is an exceiting forum to share cricket thought specially when Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series going on.
Syed