Who's got the higher ceiling..Nick Welch, Bennett or Matty Welch?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Who's got the higher ceiling..Nick Welch, Bennett or Matty Welch?

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Googly wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:41 am
You guys are forgetting Clive, Wes, Bhawa, Myers, Shumba etc.
Plenty of good black young guns.
Clive has a bit of something in him but he’s early days.
Wes, Bhawa, Shumba are not progressing as needed.
Myers- is he committed?
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Googly

Re: Who's got the higher ceiling..Nick Welch, Bennett or Matty Welch?

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:16 am
Converting potential to success requires a lot of hard work, determination and discipline. Over the years I have learnt that high ceilings are overrated. Its even harder to rate cricket potential because you need to be a little bit sharp as well to consistently deliver at the highest level.

I think you only really know where a cricketer is going once they have maybe played 100 professional games. You start to see a pattern. In other words I'm saying we need to see more of Welch Jr and Bennet at a professional level to see where they are going.

I also don't think we will will ever get to point where racial quotas are a thing again for Zimbabwe cricket. The numbers won't allow it. The moment 3 or 4 kids kick on you will see the big 3 retiring. It doesn't matter what colour the guys who kick on are. What you will also see after the big 3 leave is that you will not get a guaranteed 11 for a while, none of these guys really separate themselves from the pack like that if we are being honest.
Yeah the last bit is 100%. Nobody really putting their hand up yet. Obviously it's early days and maybe someone will.
Ideally Bennet and Welch Jr need to get the same domestic opportunities afforded to Wes and Co because there's no doubting they're of similar calibers. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. MW has been out a year so he may get less exposure than Bennett, which would be tough because he's got big potential. Anyway let's see how this season rolls out.