VERMULEN and COVENTRY Back For Zimbabwe A

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

VERMULEN and COVENTRY Back For Zimbabwe A

Post by zimfan1 »

babwe A squad for Namibia tour named

MARK Vermuelen, repairing his career, has the opportunity to return to big time cricket after he was picked for the Zimbabwe A squad that is set to tour Namibia at the beginning of March.

Vermuelen was named alongside other players who have had a taste of senior cricket such as Charles Coventry, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Shingi Masakadza, and Regis Chakabva for the tour that runs from March 10-16 in Windhoek.

Zimbabwe A coach Steven Mangongo told the website on Monday after the first training session at the CFX Academy that he is happy with the enthusiasm displayed by the players during the work out and hopes to pick the right players for the tour of Namibia.

“We had our first proper session with the squad in the morning and tomorrow (Tuesday) we are playing national team and that should give us some points as to where we stand. It is during such practice matches that we hope to be finalizing on the 14 players and three reserves for the tour,” said Mangongo.

The passionate coach also said that he hopes Vermuelen continues to display commitment and hard work as he has been offering in training. “Mark is a good player whom I am working with to give the side what we believe he can offer.

“His fitness is fine and we are working with getting him the right technique so that he starts scoring runs for the side, something we believe he can do. If that happens, then our reconstruction on his career would be on the right path,” he added.

The team leaves on March 10 and will play three International One Days and one Twenty20 as a way of ensuring that the game widens its player base for the national team. Mangongo reckons that the level of national league is low and that eats into the quality of players produced so playing associate nations gives them the opportunity to grow.

“The best way of judging our strength is, as a Test nation, our A sides should be able to beat the national teams of associate nations such as Namibia. I believe there is no reason our A side should lose to Namibia as it is the only yardstick we can measure our progress with. We are going to Namibia to win and if that does not happen it means we are not doing enough with our A squads,” said the Mangongo.

The coach expects to have the final 14 players and the reserves by Thursday so that he can start working with the traveling squad with minimal disturbances ahead of departure. Clemence Mahachi would be the team manager and Trevor Vambe the physiotherapist.

Squad – E.Chauluka M.Vermuelen R.Chakabva B.Mlambo T.Ngulube M.Mabuza P.Moore B.Chapungu T.Chimbambo M.Waller C.Coventry R.Chinyengetere S.Masakadza T.Garwe A.Manyumwa P.Charumbira T.Maruma T.Kamungozi N.Mushangwe T.Chisoro Reserves – C.Zhuwawo M.Chinouya J.Nyumbu B.Bala

zimfan1

Re: VERMULEN and COVENTRY Back For Zimbabwe A

Post by zimfan1 »

looks like 16 year old p j moor is also in the side

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

I am very much eager to see Mark 's progress, i hope he still has it in him. We should beat the Namibians

muyendesi

Post by muyendesi »

interesting selection. good to see conventy, mark and young moore in the the team. one wonders if these players would have been in the team if coltart wasnt the minister for eduction and sports.good for zim cricket. i hope to see more players being selected on ability and nothing else. it looks like dabengwa has not been dropped from the national team.it seems like chibhabha is replacing waller for sri lanka.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

It will get cut to 14 so a fair few of those guys will miss out. Probably Moor will miss out, seeing he hasn't even played in the Faithwear series yet.

I reckon, realistically: C Coventry, T Ngulube (wk), M Vermeulen, E Chauluka (c), M Waller, R Chakabva, A Manyumwa, T Maruma, T Kamungozi, S Masakadza, T Garwe -- R Chinyengetere, M Mabuza, T Chisoro

Somehow Chauluka always manages to a) get selected and; b) be named captain. Perhaps Maruma or Kamungozi are outside chances for the captaincy too, but I can't imagine Vermeulen would get the role even though he probably has the most credentials.

Manyumwa, S Masakadza and Garwe to share pace duties. Maruma and Kamungozi (the spin duo has worked so well in ODI's, it would seem logical to use it here too) for spin. And Vermeulen if any part-time spin is needed.

There is enough talent in that squad to beat Namibia, but the bulk of the runs should be coming from the experienced campaigners Vermeulen, Coventry, Chakabva and also Waller too. Probably an expectation that Maruma will be the most dangerous bowler as he has the most decorated career of the bowlers.

Sir Mupariwa

Post by Sir Mupariwa »

zimfan1 wrote:Mangongo reckons that the level of national league is low and that eats into the quality of players produced so playing associate nations gives them the opportunity to grow.
is it? Well lets hope we dominate Namibia like we did Kenya
12.4 Odhiambo to Vermeulen, FOUR, that's an appalling long hop, Vermulen had plenty of time to get into position, drink a cup of tea, and pull the ball towards the long leg boundary- his first boundary today

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

From brmtaylor.com:
Fixture rundown: For anyone wondering what the upcoming fixtures look like:
Tour: Namibia away (Feb 28 - Mar 4)
Tour: Deodhar Trophy away (Mar 13 - Mar 18)
Tour: Sri Lanka away (Mar 11 - Mar 22)
Tour: Canada home (Mar 18 - Mar 26)

It's still not clear how Zimbabwe will juggle 3 tours at once (Sri Lanka, Canada and Deodhar Trophy overlap) - it is possible that Canada will play a tour match against a province, likely Northerns, which would allow time for the team touring India to arrive back in Zimbabwe. Lovemore Banda indicated that the national team would be touring India, but obviously this is not possible unless the fixtures are changed. So it would appear that Zimbabwe A will play Namibia away, then Zimbabwe A will travel to India for the Deodhar Trophy, and then Zimbabwe A will return to play Canada. Meanwhile the Zimbabwe national team will play an ODI series in Sri Lanka. Hopefully this becomes less confusing as more details come to light.
From zimcricket.org:
Vermuelen was named alongside other players who have had a taste of senior cricket such as Charles Coventry, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Shingi Masakadza, and Regis Chakabva for the tour that runs from March 10-16 in Windhoek.
Well, we sure are waiting to get a clearer picture. If the latter is true, then we need 4 teams playing at a time! :o :o :o

There will be Faithwear and Logan cups too, sandwiched between these. Few more observations:

1. Chibhabha not part of Zim A. Does this mean that he is an automatic choice for the national team, or does it mean that he is not even in the picture among the top 40 or so players? The official report in zimcricket.org had a damning review of his innings and shot selection in the national league final. I had never read such a senseless match report.

2. Does this Zim A selection of Vermeulen and Coventry effectively rule them out of national squad selection, even if there are no overlaps among the two series?

3. Is Dabengwa still an automatic selection for the national squad? Or is he out of top 40 too (how I sincerely hope for the latter...)?

4. If Namibia series is as indicated by brmtaylor.com admin, then what about the quality of matched played in Faithwear series? It would be deprived of all 'A' team players, whereas national team players can still participate. Doesn't this look like an obvious effort to better the winning chances of Easterns (this is the team which comprises of the Takashinga players, if I am not mistaken) ?

5. What about Roger Kahiya? Are there any plans of fast tracking him to national duties, by any chance?

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

I've not really looked that closely at the selections so far, but two names are clearly missing, Mujuru and Nyamuzinga.

Are they not available at the moment ?, i would have thought that they would both be well in the selection criteria.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

ill have a go at answering your questions

1. Looks like chibhabha will be a part of the national side especially as Malcolm Waller is in the A team squad for the Namibia series, the report on the national league final was a disgrace and was clearly written by people who know very little about cricket

2. Yes i imagine that Vermeulen and Coventry will have to earn there stripes for the national side section probably for the bangladesh series in august/September what is good news is that Charles Coventry had a meeting with ZC to asses his commitment to Zimbabwe cricket which must mean that he has committed his future to Zimbabwe in order for him to be selected for the A side

3. Yes i am afraid that Dabengwa will still be in the national side but looks like his days are numbered as with vermeulen and Coventry on the comeback trail i cant see him holding his place down over the next year

4. I am fairly sure that all the A team players will play in the faithwear tournament as the series finishes on the 7th ahead on the Namibia tour which starts on the 10th , as Zimbabwe cricket have made a big issue of the best players in Zimbabwe being available for this tournament

5. What about Roger Kahiya? Are there any plans of fast tracking him to national duties, by any chance?

5> i would like to of seen him in the A team squad but we need to consider he is 15 and will be in school, he may get a chance for the canada series but if not the hopeing to see him shine in the 2010 under 19 world cup in march in kenya

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:From brmtaylor.com:
Fixture rundown: For anyone wondering what the upcoming fixtures look like:
Tour: Namibia away (Feb 28 - Mar 4)
Tour: Deodhar Trophy away (Mar 13 - Mar 18)
Tour: Sri Lanka away (Mar 11 - Mar 22)
Tour: Canada home (Mar 18 - Mar 26)

It's still not clear how Zimbabwe will juggle 3 tours at once (Sri Lanka, Canada and Deodhar Trophy overlap) - it is possible that Canada will play a tour match against a province, likely Northerns, which would allow time for the team touring India to arrive back in Zimbabwe. Lovemore Banda indicated that the national team would be touring India, but obviously this is not possible unless the fixtures are changed. So it would appear that Zimbabwe A will play Namibia away, then Zimbabwe A will travel to India for the Deodhar Trophy, and then Zimbabwe A will return to play Canada. Meanwhile the Zimbabwe national team will play an ODI series in Sri Lanka. Hopefully this becomes less confusing as more details come to light.
From zimcricket.org:
Well, we sure are waiting to get a clearer picture. If the latter is true, then we need 4 teams playing at a time! :o :o :o

There will be Faithwear and Logan cups too, sandwiched between these. Few more observations:

1. Chibhabha not part of Zim A. Does this mean that he is an automatic choice for the national team, or does it mean that he is not even in the picture among the top 40 or so players? The official report in zimcricket.org had a damning review of his innings and shot selection in the national league final. I had never read such a senseless match report.

2. Does this Zim A selection of Vermeulen and Coventry effectively rule them out of national squad selection, even if there are no overlaps among the two series?

3. Is Dabengwa still an automatic selection for the national squad? Or is he out of top 40 too (how I sincerely hope for the latter...)?

4. If Namibia series is as indicated by brmtaylor.com admin, then what about the quality of matched played in Faithwear series? It would be deprived of all 'A' team players, whereas national team players can still participate. Doesn't this look like an obvious effort to better the winning chances of Easterns (this is the team which comprises of the Takashinga players, if I am not mistaken) ?

Wow, this behaviour by ZC is beyond belief. Now they are saying the Namibia tour has been pushed back to mid-March, which as you say would require a 4th Zimbabwe team! zimcricket.org of late they have been all over the place (even Cricinfo are outdoing them) - the National League final match report was a disaster.

On the whole I agree with what zimfan1 has said.

1. I think Chibhabha will replace Waller in the national team. That's how it would appear, but who knows.
2. For the time being I guess it does, but the Sunday News article said Chawaguta was going to meet with Coventry during the Faithwear series to discuss where he is at commitment wise (presumably ahead of the SL tour). Who do you trust; zimcricket.org or Sunday News?
3. Of course he is an automatic selection. That would require more than your average miracle :lol:
4. It would seem no matter what happens, there are going to be at least a handful of tours or competitions that suffer quality wise. :(
5. Only if Keith Dabengwa requests it :lol: In all honesty, probably not. He's only 15 or 16 (depending on which website you believe), so it is far too early to fast-track him in my opinion. Especially when we have a couple of proven Test performers in Vermeulen and Coventry on the fringe of the squad.