2023 ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier Regional Final

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMFAN

Re: 2023 ICC Men's T20 World Cup Africa Qualifier Regional Final

Post by ZIMFAN »

Interestingly I see Zolsky has had a real go at Dave on twitter. Not a good sign...

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Zolsky :lol: he runs his mouth more than me and knows far less about cricket. Posts what he’s told like a dog rolls when it’s told.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya that's very ominous. Maybe he can be the next cricket director?

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Only thing he directs is Zanu pants down so he can suck dick.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:59 pm
Coltart should have known better too. He can actually trigger a reaction by starting to demand the board resign. Interestingly Mawoza also pointed out that Houghton had control over selection. If that's true then he is the obvious scape goat.

Its not just the world cups. Gary Ballance will obviously be blamed on him as well. Sad state of affairs.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

The Gazza Ballance shenanigans were a monumental error of judgement. Dave needs to hold his hands up for that. Selection at both qualifiers wasn’t just him though. Easy scapegoat blaming the murungu. Dave picked his best XI from a squad greater powers than he assembled for him.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

No matter what happened in the past the truth is enough was done to win those 3 World Cup Qualifiers. In the end it is the players who failed. You can't run away from that and blame the youth system when people were being bought out of huge county contracts etc.

The overall running of the game over the last 20 years is a different issue to 3 specific failures. Now people can also see how ZC pushing to host qualifiers was extremely useful as well. 1 qualifier in foreign conditions and it was a disaster.

I had wanted to exclude Dave from it as well but then somebody rightly pointed out that Wellington coming in at 6 happened under his watch. He can't run away from that

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:26 pm

I had wanted to exclude Dave from it as well but then somebody rightly pointed out that Wellington coming in at 6 happened under his watch. He can't run away from that
Ya that for me is the craziest thing in a crazy forgettable week in Namibia. The rest of it is same old story, guys bottling it, playing daft shots, bowling dross. Kadza at six though :lol: :lol: wow, who came up with that and what were they thinking yo. That’s the only thing I want answers on. In ahead of Wes and Clive, Eish somebody lost the plot there.

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

I don't see any really constructive alternatives. We lost a game that we shouldn't have lost. There's not a wealth of talent below the national squad. We can tinker a little bit but we're drifting and the others are improving. Blessing and Ngarava are solid but there's little else. Keepers are not lining up to threaten Madande. No pressure from spinners to demand a spot ahead of our batting all-rounders. No clear batting quality to push the big 3 anywhere.

Googly

Post by Googly »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:17 pm
Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:59 pm
Coltart should have known better too. He can actually trigger a reaction by starting to demand the board resign. Interestingly Mawoza also pointed out that Houghton had control over selection. If that's true then he is the obvious scape goat.

Its not just the world cups. Gary Ballance will obviously be blamed on him as well. Sad state of affairs.
I think Coltart made that statement to trigger a reaction, not sure why exactly. The ill-feeling between him and the Board runs deep. The Rhodesian statement is tired. If Zimbabweans perceived him as Rhodesian he wouldn't be Mayor of Bulawayo. Why make polarising statements like that. We are surely way past that now.
The fact is everyone has a go at individual players and coaches, but he attacked from a different angle. It was just a left jab because he knows full well the board isn't going anywhere. Mawoza won't write anything contentious without permission, so the fact that he had a dip at Dave is a heads up. They've trusted the murungu and he's let us down.

I wonder what that Ballance debacle actually cost ZC financially? If he had to be bought out of his Yorkshite contract it would have been significant. Only an unreasonable person would attempt to hold Dave accountable for Ballance's actions. Everyone is reasonable until there's an upset and then we start seeing the usual and unnecessary same old shit. It was well worth the gamble. It shouldn't have been a gamble. Ballance is a dipshit.

Mawoza saying that Dave had control of the selection doesn't necessarily make it true. If that were the case why was Mutendira (convener) in Namibia? I wonder if they'll withhold his daily allowance or fine him?
If it were true and I think its unlikely, then it's a bit disappointing because to me there were a couple of errors.
The strange one was putting Welly up the order and him getting 7 off 15. That wasn't good. We should have played the extra batter as well.
Picking Larry for the game was one thing, but bowling him at that point was on Raza. Jeez we've all seen countless times good bowlers get thrashed at key moments, it happens. Its a game and people make mistakes or play well.
We are dissecting a game we should have won comfortably by putting an extra 30 runs on the board. Failing to qualify yet again is truly a bitter pill for everyone. It's disastrous!
The players weren't good enough on the day and everyone is looking for scapegoats and reasons and solutions.
The solutions part is the tough one. The reality is there aren't many or any.
You have to break it down into short term and long term.
ZC don't have the ability to fix our problems. They're not accountable for their actions or mistakes, but they'll make someone else accountable.. The Batonka Stadium is going to compound and accelerate the demise of our cricket, mark my words.