Raza new T20I Captain

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
mnelson68

Re: Raza new T20I Captain

Post by mnelson68 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:01 am
DH said in a recent podcast that Nick Welch was only added to the squad at his request. I would be surprised to see him selected for the T20 qualifier if that was the case.
Well if he isn't selected then zim cricket is going rapidly down the drain

Googly

Post by Googly »

I think Ben originally came here with some expectations that were not realised.
The fact that he's now not opening for his franchise is a major set back because that's where he needs to make his runs if he ever is going to get a look in. I'm not sure what's going on there. Batting behind Knackerville in his current form means he's not going to get much time in the middle this season. It seems a lot of people now recognize that the gap in the national side is as an opener and suddenly a few people are giving it a go. Ben is a decent opener as well, but he's had a couple of poor seasons and he must be really low on confidence. My 10c worth is that if he's ever going to be successful here he's going to have to commit to staying a couple of full years here and also play some winter club cricket and basically immerse himself, fully integrate and bang some runs. There's no easy path.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:57 am
zimbos_05 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:08 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:29 am
Just to be clear, you cant play for Zim AND play in Eng/Aus. Unless they signed him as an overseas which is extremely unlikely, especially in Aus.
I'm aware of the rule, I'm saying it's dumb
Well it’s not within ZC’s power. It’s an ICC rule.
I still think it's dumb.

In saying that, can you provide the relevant ICC article that states this. All I can find is it says they must prove their primary residence for the last 3 years, not that they have to stay there all the time and play there.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

You are confusing two different things. International eligibility and domestic.

Cartwright could turn up and play for Zim tomorrow, as he was born here. No 3-year residency or living full time period required.

However as soon as he played 1 international fixture for Zim, he would then be considered an Overseas player for his Shield side in Australia. I don’t even know if Australia entertain overseas players at all in their domestics.

So he can play for us, fine. But that significantly limits his ability to play shield or county cricket. Unless they signed him as an Overseas.

Saint_Mel

Post by Saint_Mel »

secretzimbo wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:18 pm

Cartwright could turn up and play for Zim tomorrow, as he was born here. No 3-year residency or living full time period required.

However as soon as he played 1 international fixture for Zim, he would then be considered an Overseas player for his Shield side in Australia. I don’t even know if Australia entertain overseas players at all in their domestics.

So he can play for us, fine. But that significantly limits his ability to play shield or county cricket. Unless they signed him as an Overseas.
Yes, Paul Stirling had to forfeit his contract as a local player with Middlesex when Ireland became a full member. The same thing would happen to the Dutch who have county contracts of the Netherlands ever became full members.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

secretzimbo wrote:

Ok, fair enough, but can you still provide the relevant info on ICC ruling. I'm not arguing with you, just trying to see all the clarifications and rulings.

Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by 55727835 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:01 am
DH said in a recent podcast that Nick Welch was only added to the squad at his request. I would be surprised to see him selected for the T20 qualifier if that was the case.
any indication of where I can find this podcast?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Dean Du Plessis on Twitter, follow the link.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:

Weird with Oz. They almost exclusively reserve Sheffield shield for Australian players. You can understand why when there is only 6 teams.
However they do make some real random exceptions and Zimbabwe has been the biggest benefactor
Tasmania signed blignaut
South Australia signed flower
Qld signed Scott Brant (likely playing as a local though)
And WA had both Murray Goodwin and Sean Ervine with a declined offer to Stuart Carlisle
They also had or were going to sign Graeme Hick and I vividly recall Graham Thorpe being courted to play for NSW.
And they have had the odd Pakistani play too
Very unusual
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Waste of time and dollar this trip to Vic Falls was. Less than a month ago they were committed to Dave and the only heads on the block were Brent’s and Musonda’s pending their qualifier.