Nigeria and Uganda tour of zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Re: Nigeria and Uganda tour of zimbabwe

Post by Donald »

Madande averages 34 in ODI. That's higher than say a craig ervine and in sean williams territory. OK he hasn't played as many games as them by far 😅.
Where he falls down is his wicketkeeping and in 20/20 where he isn't much of a dasher and has a poor average.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Averages depend hugely on where you bat. It gets easier the lower down the order you are. Sure there's game pressure and situation that is now getting to the sharp end and you have to be able to adapt, but batting itself is generally much easier.
If he ends up as good as Ervine it's a win. He'll never be a Williams, that guy has an extraordinary skill set.

A lot of people are pumping Clive up. Despite the fact that he looks fairly promising, there's a large dash of hope attached. Very few hundreds or fifties throughout his entire career and poor strike rates. Where he bats strike rate is almost more important than average.
If a Gilchrist pitched up with a Zim passport it would take him a year in domestic to displace Madande, he's fast becoming a Chosen One and that's never ended well.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:31 am
Averages depend hugely on where you bat. It gets easier the lower down the order you are. Sure there's game pressure and situation that is now getting to the sharp end and you have to be able to adapt, but batting itself is generally much easier.
If he ends up as good as Ervine it's a win. He'll never be a Williams, that guy has an extraordinary skill set.

A lot of people are pumping Clive up. Despite the fact that he looks fairly promising, there's a large dash of hope attached. Very few hundreds or fifties throughout his entire career and poor strike rates. Where he bats strike rate is almost more important than average.
If a Gilchrist pitched up with a Zim passport it would take him a year in domestic to displace Madande, he's fast becoming a Chosen One and that's never ended well.
Gee I'm surprised you think he has become a chosen one like Wes , Marumani , Shumba and Munyonga have been . Madande hasn't done a thing wrong at international level , very harsh call.

Googly

Post by Googly »

How's it harsh? It's just facts. He's hopefully up and coming. Technically sound, has struggled under pressure so far, but let's hope he can go to new levels. I wish him well, nice guy, good cricketer.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:47 am
How's it harsh? It's just facts. He's hopefully up and coming. Technically sound, has struggled under pressure so far, but let's hope he can go to new levels. I wish him well, nice guy, good cricketer.
Struggled.under pressure so far ? His back to back 50's against the Dutch back in March were both under pressure. I'm obviously watching a different player

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

mnelson68 wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:39 am

Gee I'm surprised you think he has become a chosen one like Wes , Marumani , Shumba and Munyonga have been . Madande hasn't done a thing wrong at international level , very harsh call.
He's definitely in the same group as those in terms of recent chances and support and status.

He's good though, as are all of the players you list. The problem is Williams and Raza and Craig are GREAT, not good. We need all of the above including Madande to really go some to be able to replace them. People don't appreciate just how good the big three have been and how unlikely it is that we will find replacements of a similar calibre. And even with those big three in the team we are at best 10th in the world. The group of players you mention are all amongst the very best prospects we have, and yet it probably still won't be enough. These are facts. Depressing ones, yes.

I like Clive, he's shown plenty already. I mention this almost every week but that maiden Logan Cup century 2 years ago when Chivanga and Ngarava were literally trying to murder him took some balls. It was about the most impressive performance I've ever seen from a youngster in Zim.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Didn't he hit a winning boundary off the last ball to win a match at some point in front of a big crowd at Harare? it was against either Ireland or Netherlands.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya he did. He swung and missed about 4 times and then got a rank full toss that he mis-hit off the toe for 4 to cow to win it. That was the very innings that made me a bit skeptical actually.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Time will tell , I think he has been more than usefull in his short career so far .

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Back to back 50s against some wannabe associate is hardly a pressure cooker environment. When the pressure was really on vs Scotland the whole side crumbled even my main man Williams.

I wasn’t dissing Clive or Wes, though Wes does suffer from being a golden boy they’ll persist with out of sheer hope he’ll come good.

I was dissing the local new fans who jump on the band wagon after some limited success and come out with complete nonsense like replacing established guys with some murungus who had one decent showing in an under 25 match. What county in their right mind would look at Bennett or Jono and think them worth signing as an overseas at this stage in their careers. Knackers ain’t even Zim qualified so he ain’t being parachuted into the national side to replace Clive or Wes but the local boys seem to think he could be :lol: