Prosper Utseya - world class player?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Prosper Utseya - world class player?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I said recently in another thread that I think he can develop into an allrounder, and that it would be best for him if he bats at number 4 (and Taibu at 3) in First Class matches. He has the patience to make big scores (such as the 45 he made on his Test debut, and of late the century against SAC XI) and (from what little I've seen) the technique to support it. Also, batting up the order means he won't have to contend with tail enders at the other end. He made an unbeaten hundred with Maruma at the other end, how far would he have gone if Tatenda Taibu was able to stick around with him?

And it seems he's really developing into a very good bowler, he took 5-fer yesterday and I think he's taken a few other big hauls in recent times. My main criticism of him was that he was an economical bowler but not a wicket taker, it seems he is changing that (while still remaining economical).

I think 2007-08 has been very big for Utseya. After being thrust into the captaincy in 2006, he has really matured into a fine player. Teams like Australia have about 25 world class players. Guys like Brad Hogg are really fighting for places in the Test team. Then there are guys in the domestic circuit David Hussey who haven't even had a look in. In any other country they would be automatic selections. Zimbabwe doesn't have that luxury. To be a world class player, I think "Would another country besides Bangladesh and West Indies play any of these guys in their first eleven?". I think Tatenda Taibu has earned his title of "world class player". I am very tempted to put Prosper Utseya in that category - I think he is about 97% there. If he does well in Pakistan (15 wickets, and decent contributions with the bat if needed) I think he will be in that category. Ray Price would be close, if he wasn't out of the picture for so long I think he would be well and truly a world class player. Having said that, I think there would be a few countries that would play him. If he was Australian he'd probably be next in line after MacGill and Hogg. Despite being without a doubt the best FC batsman in Zimbabwe, Sean Williams is still a few years away from "world class". Brendan Taylor is still a few years away as well, but what he has going for him is that he can play some really magical innings. During the Twenty20 World Cup, there wouldn't have been any team that wouldn't want him. But consistency is a problem, he is pretty hot/cold - in the last FC match against SAC XI he made some pretty low scores, but the next time he plays he is just as likely to make 50 or more. He's the sort of bloke who must be in the team because when it comes down to it, he averages 30 in both forms of the game and Zimbabwe can't afford to drop a player of that experience and skill.

So, the discussion points:

1) Should Utseya bat at number 4, at least as a trial?
2) Who are the genuine world class players for Zimbabwe?

zimdan

Re: Prosper Utseya - world class player?

Post by zimdan »

I dont feel any zimbabwe players are world class, that tag should be reserved for players like Hayden, Tendukar, pollock and so on.

However Zimbabwe do have some top class players....

Taibu
Taylor
Utseya (ODI bowling)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I dont think Utseya is worldclass. I would rather have Ray Price than Prosper Utseya. Utseya is a good container and keeps the runs down but he isn't really a wicket taking bowler on the international scene. I am not sure he is the best person to be captain of the team either. Someone like Gary Brent or Ray Price would probably be better. Or perhaps Taibu again if the politics allow.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

zimdan wrote:I dont feel any zimbabwe players are world class, that tag should be reserved for players like Hayden, Tendukar, pollock and so on.
In the Johnny Walker Super Series match in 2005 I think Tatenda Taibu was pretty close to making the World XI team. I think that is a pretty good indication of how he is seen by the cricket community. Utseya wouldn't make a World XI team while Harbijhan, Kumble, Kaneria, Murali are still around but who knows in 10 years time.