UK PLayers in Zim?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: UK PLayers in Zim?

Post by Pat_Bee »

He’s the joke yo.

Fine; PM some bird called Jenny Smith on Facebook and she’ll hook you up with something. Can find her commenting on the ZC official page usually. Tell her Pat_Bee directed you her way.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Has to be Don Butchart. His dad surely knows who's who here in Zim. I've seen him play a couple of times. He's OK, certainly has the genes.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Best bet for the current season would be to try and get in touch with Campbell or Brent and play a few games for Rangers in the club comp.

And build your network whilst here, ahead of the next NPL season next year.

PieChucker
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by PieChucker »

Thanks for the feedback fella's

The lad's name is Josh Pistorious. Went to school in RSA (Rondebosch). Born in Zim.

Will pass on the advice.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Interesting, that’s a name I haven’t heard before!! Like I say he’d probably have to do the hard yards and work up from club cricket and make some connections. But if you back yourself to perform and can tough it out there are rewards like
Professional and international cricket available here that in hindsight are easier to come by than they are in England.

Do keep us updated on his progress and if he does find a way to come over and play!

Googly

Post by Googly »

There was a Paul Pistorius from Prince Edward that was a decent seamer and a good sportsman, wonder if Josh is related.
I see he's a Kirsten Academy coach as well. Clearly he knows he's fighting an uphill struggle trying to make his way in SA.
Zim needs to not get a rep for getting guys trying to make their way at our expense. We want established good overseas guys coming here or if they've got some Zim heritage should they be able to breeze in and out hoping for a blinder of a season to benefit them elsewhere? How does that help us?

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

I don't quite understand this thread, is it about

a) Zim players based in the UK playing in Zim

or

b) UK born/qualified players in Zim to play as overseas

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

A Zim-born (and therefore eligible) UK-based player wanting to play in Zim.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Well the actual thread is probably about anyone with zim heritage playing anywhere else or not even playing at all but could potentially add something of value to our system.

I'm sure there are some sharp South African guys that could claim ancestry that nobody knows about. The number of people originally from here is astonishing.
The two most well known are probably Markram and Dale Steyn.

There is actually a real prospect down there called Dean Gibbs. He played some age group stuff here, family moved to SA when he was about 14 (?) and narrowly missed out on SA u19 for the usual beautiful reason. If he came back here for a couple of franchise seasons I'd almost guarantee he'd do very well. Top 5 batter and an even better seamer.
I would think he's in one of their franchise Academies. I mean he's really good.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Laddo get hooked up with a gig in the end?