End of an era that never began?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

End of an era that never began?

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

It could have been a glorious era for Zimbabwean batting. Sean Colin Williams was probably the most talented batsman to come out of Zimbabwe after the legendary Andy Flower. I would be lying if I said I did not fall in love with his batting skills the first time I watched him play. He was sensationally classy, and he continued to show his class, whenever he made up his mind to turn out for Zimbabwe. Not to forget more than handy and under rated left arm spin bowling, and magnificient fielding skills he possessed. But he made up his mind very rarely, and when he did, it was sure to be broken very soon. What a waste of imperious talent...

This is one era that should have begun a couple of years ago, but now it is almost certain that it will never take off. There have always been players like Andy Blignaut, Shahid Afridi, Virender Sehwag, etc., who have not done justice to their immense talent, but that is mainly because of their wayward approach, and lack of focus. In a way, we love them sometimes, and their wayward ways. We don't always sit back and wonder what they could have become if they had cricket on their minds always. Their different approach towards the game make them superstars in a way.

But in case of Sean "Enigma" Williams, it hurts like hell, when you see him abuse talent so mercilessly. If his focus was not on cricket and if that was very evident, then it would not be so painful. But he chooses to come back every once in a while and showcase his batting spectacle, keeping us, the fans, on our toes. And then, he disappears. This time though, it seems, he has left Zimbabwean cricket for good, and I don't see him coming back. He shouldn't. Nobody is gaining anything from his see-saw battle with his own mind. ZC might want to close the door on him forever, if they have not done so already. With great pain again, it is time to realize, one of our greatest talents might not turn up for Zimbabwe anymore.
Last edited by CrimsonAvenger on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: End of an era that never began?

Post by zimfan1 »

i 100% agree

great player rubbish attitude and in my eyes good ridence id rather have people in the side who are committed such as vermulen who has jumped through hoops in order to try and play for zimbabwe again

im confident sure taylor will return this year for the home series against india and if we get him back then williams will not be missed

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Can it get any more frustrating ?, but unless Williams actually makes a proper statement then we are unlikely to know what is really going on.

The PR skills of ZC are absolute rubbish, we have the continuing saga of Taibu, the non-return of Taylor, Williams missing, Sibanda missing, it just goes on, i can only assume that there is nobody within ZC that really gives a damn about supporters of Zimbabwean cricket.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find Williams playing in the Logan Cup, although whether Taibu will make it to the IPL without any socks or pads is another question entirely :roll:

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

Well pointed,Train Driver and well said,Crimson Avenger...

This is really a rubbish reason to show about Taibu's non appearance.I dont think Taibu has to remain without food if he buys another cricket kit bag or ZC gives him another for temporary use.These are simple options.I think he is overlooked for his problems with ZC authorities.I hardly suspect...

Sibanda is in Australia.I think he hasnt done enough to remain in the national side.For the last 10 or more ODIs,he averages just 10-14 probably.

It takes a lot of time to produce such talented player like Williams.Williams played a decent number of ODIs for the national side averaging around 30.He is really a big miss in terms of the batting of Zimbabwe is concerned.He really cant set up his mind tp take proper decisions.I have said previously it's better to play for the national side rather than playing for club sides of UK permanently as a professional.

Though there will be many good replacements of Williams,he was a player who can be turned into a batting star of Zimbabwe in the future.If Taylor will return,Zimbabwe will get Taylor,Vermeulen,Coventry,Chibhabha and Chakabva all together.They all will want to stick in the national side and it will lack the feeling of non appearance of Williams.

But I want that Williams should think over his decision.He should play for the national side,my suggestion.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Imagine what players like Chamu Chibhabha and vermuelan who are knocking on the door of the national team feel like when their is a player ( Williams) who is so indecisive about playing for his country yet is selected ahead of them. I mean if williams felt like leaving all along then he should have went pre- sri lanka touring. It would have given Chibhabha a chance to get some form again or even another player