Kenya Vs Uganda wc qualifier. 2023 Do or Die for Zim

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Kenya Vs Uganda wc qualifier. 2023 Do or Die for Zim

Post by Googly »

Donald the only thing I disagree with is Ervine. Those Namibian pitches would have suited him, technically very good and experienced and calm. I think he was injured.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's worth mentioning again. After the friendlies against Namibia they should have been aware that the pitches would not just turn, but hold. The ball not coming onto the bat is a big thing and every batter struggles. It means you generally have to play squarer. It's disappointing that the squad didn't get to practice on a holding wicket because we knew that's what we'd get.
The key game there really was the first one against Namibia and we weren't ready for them.
What really amazed me about their performances against us and everyone else is how few poor deliveries they have bowled. One 4 ball releases all the pressure and they just didn't seem to bowl them.
I mentioned it before but the stock deliveries should have been back of a length over middle, and off-cutters into the right hander. All our bowlers continue to bowl at least one really poor ball an over. I've watched their batters, they nearly all cleared slightly to leg which seems to be a good way of dealing with a ball not coming onto the bat when you're trying to hit.

Larry is getting lambasted on every platform for that poor over, but I can provide a list of world class bowlers that have gone for 20 and above in key moments that have lost their team the game. Cricket generally comes down to one person winning the game and/or one person losing it. That Ali Shah guy is a good player. How does someone like him appear out of a raw system? We should have posted a bigger total, that's where the game was really lost.

I'm honestly surprised how they've dealt with their problems up front. Clearly they've lost faith in NW after a mere week yet retained faith in Maru who has had a couple of years of not delivering. Doesn't make sense. I'm guessing Innocent must be injured? I'm almost guaranteeing their new plan is Wes and Maru for the Irish. Gumbie hasn't done a lot wrong in 50 over. Can't change gear is all.
I think Raza up front was a measure of desperation. If he goes out early then you'll see panic. He gives chances as well. He gave 2 or 3 in his last innings. Maru gave 4 in his maiden 50.

It's going to be interesting what their plans are for Welly, he's thereabouts in other formats but not in T20. Maybe they rotate him with Makoni so it's not too obvious that it's a family business? It would be a fine prank to hack the selectors' whatsapps telling them to find and pick 7 dwarves and a banana. There would be tears because they couldn't find the dwarves, but the banana would play.

Googly

Post by Googly »

We're mostly dead, but not quite. If I had the energy and enthusiasm I'd start a Uganda Rwanda Do or Die thread.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

I've a little bit of faith, stranger things have happened in life.

Googly

Post by Googly »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm
Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:44 pm
That's the problem. They wait until they're 19, it's too late by then
You should bring this to ZC. You’d be good at some pathways role for early high schoolers
They know, it's pretty obvious. It's an issue of money, personnel and enthusiasm. You get the wrong coaches in there and its a complete waste of time. One of the key issues in player development is buy-in from parents. It's why in the past you'd see better young white batsmen- they get the extra expensive private one on one coaching. They've all mostly lost interest. There are still a couple of good kids.
Milton Shumba's young brother is going to be good. Matsi's son looks ok. Andy Blignaut's two boys look good. But stand by for Barney Roger's youngster. A star in the making, but only about 8 years old, being coached by BT. He's looking like one of those Indian child prodigies.

Having said that someone in ZC is getting a lot of cricket together for the men. That they're doing pretty well now.
The only issue really is the NPL being made up of additional provincial teams that offer nothing and keep out better players, most of whom scramble for a spot in an NPL side if their side didn't qualify. That's untidy.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:07 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:49 pm
Googly wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:44 pm
That's the problem. They wait until they're 19, it's too late by then
You should bring this to ZC. You’d be good at some pathways role for early high schoolers
They know, it's pretty obvious. It's an issue of money, personnel and enthusiasm. You get the wrong coaches in there and its a complete waste of time. One of the key issues in player development is buy-in from parents. It's why in the past you'd see better young white batsmen- they get the extra expensive private one on one coaching. They've all mostly lost interest. There are still a couple of good kids.
Milton Shumba's young brother is going to be good. Matsi's son looks ok. Andy Blignaut's two boys look good. But stand by for Barney Roger's youngster. A star in the making, but only about 8 years old, being coached by BT. He's looking like one of those Indian child prodigies.

Having said that someone in ZC is getting a lot of cricket together for the men. That they're doing pretty well now.
The only issue really is the NPL being made up of additional provincial teams that offer nothing and keep out better players, most of whom scramble for a spot in an NPL side if their side didn't qualify. That's untidy.
The retired/retiring players are key here. They know what's needed. You would expect them to coach their kids or nephews etc. Good to see BT coaching at that age group. Maybe they can deploy the next retiring batch to focus on u13s

You would also expect Hami to know this.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Unless there's a top post or a Jarvis type job that requires 2 hours a week I don't think they'll go for junior coaching unless the pay is really decent.
BT has his own coaching thing going. I think he's busy as well. I've watched him- patient, repetition, knowledgeable, fun, completely hands on- top drawer coach.
He's a guy that invented himself as a batter against big odds. He has much to offer. If Craig and Sean retire (not sure they will or will be required to) BT's belated return to international cricket is a possibility.

Hamilton has a busy playing schedule himself, making some runs as well.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

The BT fairytale come back is on :lol:

Which says a lot about the state of play he’d walk straight back into the team.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I have no issues with any of the big 3 playing until next WC campaign if good enough
Including a BT return
When we sun it’s because of them.

Chatara is the one that must never see the national side again. He’s just embarrassing himself now. These ZC favourites just never know what their time is up. It is clearly visible he is physically not up to it anymore.
Or they do, but don’t know what to do next.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:47 am

Including a BT return
:lol: :lol: Yes!

The more guys backing BT to make a come back the better. Get the backing of this forum and you’re in the side basically.