Zimbabwe vs Ireland one day and 20/20 series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs Ireland one day and 20/20 series

Post by secretzimbo »

mnelson68 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:55 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:21 pm
I'm glad Bennett was not selected, he has had a taste, now go back to domestic cricket and the "A" side and work on his game.
Wow that's astonishing to me , you'd rather play guys who have been around longer and done nothing at international level than a bright prospect who if given more opportunity could become a long term player.
Well your approach has totally failed with the other youngsters particularly Madhevere. So I would say Zimfan has a point.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's a risk fielding a side without a 3rd seam option unless they prepare a spinners pitch. That would mean Luke or Faraz may well be in every starting line-up.
I wonder how far along the road Brad is? He's highly unlikely to get a direct call-up after such a long lay-off. The lack of seaming all-rounders in our set up is astonishing.
Obviously his like for like is Luke.
Faraz is actually a better bat than people realise.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:32 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:20 pm
Jongwe is a lucky boy, is selected in basically every job even though he is rarely used with the ball and bats 8.

I hope KLong opens, that is where is has had success rather than at number 3. Imagine Raza will be 4, Burl 5 and Madande 6. Hope to see Mauvuta get a run over Wellington.
I think they'll probably go with this tomorrow;
Gumbie, Kaia, Kamunhukamwe, Raza, Burl, Shumba, Madande, Jongwe, Wellington, Ngarava, Muzarabani

But then again they'll probably have Faraz opening the batting and bowling.
Ya that's my guess as well.
The spinning all rounders are Raza, Burl, Shumba, Mavuta, Campbell, Bennett.

Milton has put his hand up in the Pro 50 so deserves his spot. The only way Bennett gets a shot is if someone just backs the fact that he can do it. That's not going to happen. He's going to have to make some runs at domestic level.

Gumbie did a job in 50 over last time around, feels like a lifetime ago. Who will keep, him or Madande? The openers always have their work cut out for them. It's the toughest job there is.
I've got high hopes for Kamunhukamwe. He's a good player.
One of the few guys that can win a game if he has a good outing.

It's time Maru and Wes took a time out. There's a lot of guys that are at a similar level. Do well in franchise and don't deliver emphatically or at all at international level.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:55 pm
It's a risk fielding a side without a 3rd seam option unless they prepare a spinners pitch. That would mean Luke or Faraz may well be in every starting line-up.
I wonder how far along the road Brad is? He's highly unlikely to get a direct call-up after such a long lay-off. The lack of seaming all-rounders in our set up is astonishing.
Obviously his like for like is Luke.
Faraz is actually a better bat than people realise.
I had high hopes for Musikewa. Maybe he needs another season or two

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:18 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:08 pm
sam_ahm wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:18 pm
Terrible squad. Burl the only white player selected. No faith shown in Bennett or Welch (unless there are disciplinary issues). No Jonathan Campbell either. Akram's selection is baffling too.

Zimbabwe appear well set to have some very depressing results ahead.
Why the comment about race? Not needed at all. Shumba and Munyonga scored more runs than Campbell in the Pro50 series.
Exactly!!!
There are some bad selections here both black, white and asian. It's just bad selection, not necessarily racism.
No guys, I didn't mean to hurt anyone here. May be I was just a bit disappointed with the squad because I've seen the likes of Munyonga, Kaitano, Faraz before and so far I'm not impressed. We are trying out the same guys again and expecting bigger things. How is that happening?

However, there are some good selections too, Kaia is fine, Shumba, I was very much impressed by him earlier and I hope he has found his touch again and I hope K-long can be that big hitter Zimbabwe are so desperately looking for at the top of the order.

Some of those injuries are unfortunate. Evans especially will be a welcome additon once he is back because the bowling needs some boost. Williams will be dearly missed too.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

What really annoys me more than anything is the usual clueless bunch on social media or wherever ranting about 'jonithin campbull why not in zim team sir? zim is racist quota team fo sure' and yet nobody is furious at the constant snubbing of Tapiwa Mufudza.

Pro50 bowler of the tournament two years in a row, Logan Cup leading wicket taker last year, NPL leading wicket taker etc etc etc. Consistently the best bowler in the country for the past 5 years and yet he has never even been in a single squad, ever. Never even been in a 'A' or 'Select' squad, I don't think. Nothing at all. Did he shit in Mutendera's sadza once upon a time?

The idiots can keep fawning over white guys and saying selection is racist but it is not..... Selection is shit. That's what. Not racist, just shit. Literally just completely unfair to certain individuals and completely biased towards others.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Trevor Gwandu has a terrible domestic T20 record but a great List A record. So they pick him for the T20's but then decide he isn't good enough for the ODI's? :lol:

Are we really all supposed to sit here and believe Faraz is a better selection? Mumba? :lol:

I'm not that arsed about the batting selections because it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference which random combination of batters they select. If Raza doesn't score runs, we lose. So really it makes little difference.

But surely they could apply some logic, some consistency, some fairness, some intelligence to the bowling selections at least?

I don't know who is selecting, if Dave still has the final say like claimed then my criticism extends fully to him. Or whoever. It's nonsense.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It really says a lot about people and their knowledge when they are more outraged about Johnathan Campbell than Tapiwa Mufudza.....

Donald

Post by Donald »

It's actually a solid enough squad with the addition of gumbie Kaia and Kaitano. Shumba too has earned his chance and he seems to have more of a cricketing brain than Wes and can read situations better.

Mostly looking forward to chivanga getting in amongst the Irish and having words. We need those aggressive cricketers and he has that in spades

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

:twisted:
secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:02 pm
mnelson68 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:55 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:21 pm
I'm glad Bennett was not selected, he has had a taste, now go back to domestic cricket and the "A" side and work on his game.
Wow that's astonishing to me , you'd rather play guys who have been around longer and done nothing at international level than a bright prospect who if given more opportunity could become a long term player.
Well your approach has totally failed with the other youngsters particularly Madhevere. So I would say Zimfan has a point.
I'm glad you weren't on the selection committee when BT was playing international cricket at 18 years of age. It hasn't worked with Wes but what if Bennett is better than Wes ? We will never find out because they are too busy gifting games to spuds who are no good.