Zimbabwe vs Ireland one day and 20/20 series

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Donald

Zimbabwe vs Ireland one day and 20/20 series

Post by Donald »

Next week chaps.

Who will make the squad.

Will we get a complete gonzo selection like Kamwembwa into the squad. I would not be adverse to this either 🤣.
Will mavuta finally break the Masakdza dynasty? 😃

Post here when squad is known and general thoughts.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs Ireland one day and 20/20 series

Post by secretzimbo »

I would think Munyonga, Shumba, Kamunhukamwe, Mufudza, Gwandu, Mavuta and Chivanga would all fancy their chances of selection based on their Pro50 stats. Gumbie will be in the ODI squad.

I think it's highly likely a number of the senior guys will at least have a 'break', even if not necessarily deciding their retirements or futures yet. I would be mildly surprise if Williams and Ervine both play. Is Raza missing the T20 series for the Abu Dhabi league or is he coming back?

We currently are not sure who our director of cricket, head coaches, assistant coaches, or selectors are - so lord knows how and who is selecting the squad or preparing the side for this series.?

It's surely going to be incredibly hard for anyone involved in Namibia to pick themselves up so quickly for this, against much stronger opposition than the opposition we just lost to (Uganda).

We need quite a few changes in the squad, even if it ends up not being our strongest squad or selection on paper in terms of ability, I just think you need quite a lot of fresh faces for the mental aspect after the bruising last couple of weeks. It's hard to imagine how much the guys must be hurting. It's easy for us to criticise them and others on social media to outright abuse them but none of them wanted to lose, I'm sure they all tried their best and they will be absolutely devastated. How do you pick yourselves up from that just 7 days later? Brutal.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Raza is tweeting about needing his bag lost by Airlink because he has international games in 4 days. I'm sure he is around. This is a critical time. He knows it. Watch him opening in both formats :lol:

Yeah the above names deserve a look

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I don't see him opening in ODI - he's had great success at 4/5 and should stay there. Gumbie & Kaia probably deserve a bit of a run opening in ODIs.

I don't mind Raza opening in T20, tbh he is made for it and maybe it's sensible having him open alongside a youngster (e.g. Marumani) - but the problem is if he is out early, we will likely fold for less than 100.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I would like to see Madande bat at number 5 or 6

Donald

Post by Donald »

Munyonga time is now. He led them to a win vs Uganda and recently his 153 in Pro 50 was excellent.

Kaitano I would be interested in coming into the side as well as Campbell.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

People get very excited about Campbell but I think the main reason is because he is white and has a famous name. I'm not convinced they've ever watched him play.

His Pro50 scores were; 28, 32, 10, 53, 21, 2, 50, 25. He consistently gets good starts which is nice and better than some guys, yes, but he has never demonstrated any ability to be able to kick on - at any level. Maybe it's a mindset thing. He looks set and then just seems to do something stupid, time after time. So far we have seen plenty of ability to get in and score a guaranteed 30 runs every time he bats - which is why he has a good average - but no evidence of an ability to build an innings or be a match winner. In truth he would struggle big time in international cricket currently.
His bowling is also inferior to say Burl so as an all-rounder he is sort of blocked by Burl, who is a superior batter and bowler but plays the same role and bats in the same position. Unless Burl retires or gets injured I'm not sure I see a route into the team unless Campbell starts producing centuries with regularity in the domestic game. Equally Bennett is obviously coming up behind as well for a similar role in the team.
I'm not writing him off because he has potential for sure, and I've a soft spot for the offspring of former greats as well, but I don't think he's even close to ready currently. It might not be trendy but Shumba and Munyonga have proved themselves to be better players.

Kaitano did well when he first played international cricket but then suddenly had a horrific two years out of nowhere. He's had a better Pro50 which is good but he'll have to do it for a bit longer to dislodge Gumbie and Kaia, especially with K-long and Welch also able to open.
Hopefully he continues his form into the Logan Cup and creates some good competition at the top of the order.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Madhevere needs benching while shumba and and munyonga can come straight in.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

How good is Bennett a chance for a call up SZ? Are you saying he is still not ready?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

He's great, massive future. But then we've seen throwing the other youngsters in hasn't really worked has it. Madhevere is the most talented of all of them but his confidence and form is now below zero as a result of perservering with him at international level.

It's an eternal debate over whether you throw youngsters in the deep end or you let them grow up and mature first. I don't know the answer. He is very very young. Probably not ready in reality.