Zimbabwe vs Ireland | 1st T20I | 7 November 2023

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Zimbabwe vs Ireland | 1st T20I | 7 November 2023

Post by Crastle_cog »

In T20s highly yes, the gap gets lesser as you shorten formats. You can say the same about us and the aussies for example. I'm not saying that we would necessarily snatch a win in a 5 match series :lol: but there is always the chance of the odd game being close. More often than not we'd lose to the same team by 200 runs in a one day and within 2 days in a test.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

tej_27 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:30 am
Crastle_cog wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:27 am
I would disagree, even if they're better it's very less in between. I feel we edge Ireland and this series will show it. Yes we've had hiccups against the likes of namibia, scotland and uganda but that's more to namibia, scotland closing the gap in the last few years. Uganda match was just one of those days, they're uae oman levels at best.
Unpopular opinion but I think Namibia is better than both ireland and zimbabwe in t20s. We will see it in next T20 worldcup
Thing is Namibia have a tiny player pool, even compared to Ireland and Zimbabwe. Nothing pass their top 13 guys.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

Did anyone else manage to find a highlights package? The one posted earlier has been taken down :(
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

tej_27

Post by tej_27 »

zimfan1 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:42 am
tej_27 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:30 am
Crastle_cog wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:27 am
I would disagree, even if they're better it's very less in between. I feel we edge Ireland and this series will show it. Yes we've had hiccups against the likes of namibia, scotland and uganda but that's more to namibia, scotland closing the gap in the last few years. Uganda match was just one of those days, they're uae oman levels at best.
Unpopular opinion but I think Namibia is better than both ireland and zimbabwe in t20s. We will see it in next T20 worldcup
Thing is Namibia have a tiny player pool, even compared to Ireland and Zimbabwe. Nothing pass their top 13 guys.
Possibly. But what matters are those 13 players . Player pool will eventually grow when team starts to perform globally

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

lol they got all the murungus in SA who can’t get a gig there with all their quotas.

ilovearsenal04
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by ilovearsenal04 »

ilovearsenal04 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:11 am
Did anyone else manage to find a highlights package? The one posted earlier has been taken down :(
Ok i found them here for anyone still interested:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8qconm
The higher you go the cooler it becomes.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

I've been travelling so only just caught the highlights from yesterday.

It's clear we still have absolutely no identity or plan for T20, we still absolutely looked like a team capable of losing to Uganda again tbh. We are so extremely reliant on Raza it is scary. He is unbelievable!!!

Those catches that Bennett and Ngarava got out to were amazing, wtf were they?!? Especially the Ngarava one. Sensational.

I'm glad they've improved the lights, it looked really good, and it was great to see a decent crowd in attendance and that not everybody has abandoned this team after the last few weeks.

Wes going at a run-a-ball 25 and Marumani with nothing again. It is concerning. I'm sure KLong plays next match.

Gwandu didn't look great, but first match so no criticism here. Good luck to him.

Raza is well and truly in the 'greatest ever zim cricketer?' conversation now. Also exactly the sort of captain we need right now. He appears willing to take numerous bullets to protect his team and he is clearly giving it absolutely everything. I don't think I've ever seen it mean more to anyone than it clearly means to him at the moment. When he was in the middle and speaking (shouting :lol: ) at Madande after Clive hit a boundary, crikey! What a leader.
It's really hard to imagine how tough it has been for the guys recently and how difficult things have been. Getting that win yesterday must have felt like a world cup win for a lot of the boys for many reasons. Some emotion in the change room at the end of the match yesterday I'm sure.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:12 pm
Raza is well and truly in the 'greatest ever zim cricketer?' conversation now. Also exactly the sort of captain we need right now.
He’s doing well but we don’t even know if he’s in the top 11 of all time.
The problem is the new Zimbabwe team only plays associates now.
Remember, Craig Wishart pumped almost a world record when he played Namibia 20 years ago.
We don’t know how much they would dominate.
Someone like Grant Flower for example would probably ton up every game against the associates.
We can’t tell.
IMO we can only truly judge them against top 7 teams.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Associates have improved big time also. Netherlands today and back then are night and day

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:24 pm
secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:12 pm
Raza is well and truly in the 'greatest ever zim cricketer?' conversation now. Also exactly the sort of captain we need right now.
He’s doing well but we don’t even know if he’s in the top 11 of all time.
The problem is the new Zimbabwe team only plays associates now.
Remember, Craig Wishart pumped almost a world record when he played Namibia 20 years ago.
We don’t know how much they would dominate.
Someone like Grant Flower for example would probably ton up every game against the associates.
We can’t tell.
IMO we can only truly judge them against top 7 teams.
Agree he's not in the same company simply because the opposition is not of the same quality.