Zimbabwe vs Sri lanka squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Pat_Bee

Re: Zimbabwe vs Sri lanka squad

Post by Pat_Bee »

Dave’s gone after Sri Lanka. Too much hassle getting a whole new system in place between now and then.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:13 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 am
Pat_Bee wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:53 am
They’ve nothing left to play for.

The England test is 18 months away, the 2026 World Cup is over 2 years away and the 2027 World Cup is 3 or 4 years away.

That’s a long time in cricketing terms.
But no one ever seems to mention that these guys get paid handsomely to go for it.
They have every reason to go for a home World Cup send off
True. But on the other hand we are now seeing their bodies struggling with very frequent injuries. Add that to the mental struggle of being part of this setup. It’s inevitable that Dave goes either after this series or after SL - do they really want to start again with a new coach and setup again?
Plus Williams seems to hate being away from home and both have young families.

We’ve been lucky they’ve stayed this long. Hopefully they stick around even longer but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if they called it a day very very very soon.
Zimbabwe don’t play that much. Not compared to many other teams.
I reckon in his mind there is a fair chance he just sees it as an easy 15k a month for the next three years and a grand send off in a home World Cup.
You’ll also see plenty of missed games since he’s half over it. Any small niggle and he will pull out against ‘meaningless’ assoc games.
He will be playing for the paycheque the next couple years of he stays. Which is still good for us as he is needed.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Gumbie will keep his place. Personally I’d give Kaia a run as opener again partnering him, but I’m not sure they will. They seem to like dropping him at every opportunity. The guy looks shot of confidence. But I think if you back him he’ll do well. He’s a solid player.

I’d give Welch another go in the squad but then he’s hardly in good form either. They might well stick with Kaitano as I think he did relatively well in Sri Lanka last time?

We have to hope that The big three are all available.

Burl and Madande have shown glimpses.

There’s probably space for one more bat - one of the middle order youngsters so either Shumba, Madhevere or Munyonga.

Then it will be Mavuta and Wellington. I still think it’s brutally unfair and unjust to keep excluding Mufudza but I don’t expect them to change course now.

Jongwe, Ngarava and Muzarabani. And one more seamer - I doubt Evans will be fit so probably Chivanga again. Hopefully not Mumba or Faraz.

For me it’s;
Gumbie, Kaia, Welch, Ervine, Williams, Raza, Madhevere, Burl, Madande, Mavuta, Wellington, Muzarabani, Ngarava, Jongwe, Chivanga.

I know it’s a similar squad to the one that’s been failing but I promise you none of the guys waiting in the wings are significantly better. These are pretty much our best players. It’s sad but true, we need to accept it and get behind them I suppose. We don’t have lots of better players waiting to be selected.

There will almost certainly be a new coaching team and selectors and a big overhaul after the SL series so I reckon stick with the experienced guys for this series, especially with it being an away tour against difficult opposition. One of the few destinations we’ve been to a few times recently so experience will help.

When the new coaches come in later in the year that will be a better time to give younger or newer guys more of a chance.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Ya might as well stick with the same squad injuries permitting. There literally is nobody better whom it could be argued is being done over with an imaginary quota or other such nonsense.

Given the situation of each innings when he came in, ponsonby has shown he’s solid this series. Improve on his batting and he’s future big three material.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Sri Lanka are going to slaughter our guys. I hate to say it but it's the truth. It will be a real moment of truth for guys like Joylord. A proper step up. I will still watch and be hopeful. I agree with that squad. As it stands that's what we have

CholeZimbo
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by CholeZimbo »

Pat_Bee wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:11 am
ZIMDOGGY wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:57 am
Pat_Bee wrote:

The England test is 18 months away, the 2026 World Cup is over 2 years away and the 2027 World Cup is 3 or 4 years away.

But no one ever seems to mention that these guys get paid handsomely to go for it.
They have every reason to go for a home World Cup send off

Ya agree with your sentiments bro completely. It’s an easy pay day for them. I just wonder how long they could stick it out being losers. Getting beat every game for the next 4 years must be extremely depressing.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Pat_Bee wrote:

I'm calling it here first: Come 2025, England will "postpone" the ZIM test. There's no point playing a Test that will be over in 2.5 sessions, factoring Bazball into play. As for the 2027 WC...come 2026, the ICC will probably reason that if Namibia have to qualify, ZIM will too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Old emmerson behaves and there’s no need for them to play the sanction card. Bazball will be old news in 2025, BTball will be the new craze fresh from his ban. Jimmy Anderson is hanging on for it.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Congrats to secret on singlehandedly getting Mufudza into the ODI squad

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

pillowprocter wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:25 am
Congrats to secret on singlehandedly getting Mufudza into the ODI squad
lineup
klong