Mark Vermeulen pleads not guilty

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Mark Vermeulen pleads not guilty

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Ex-Zimbabwe international Mark Vermeulen admitted guilt to setting fire to the Zimbabwe Cricket headquarters, but pleaded not guilty to arson. His claim of innocence is on the grounds that he was suffering from psychiatric problems at the time of the incident.

Vermeulen stands accused of arson at the ZC headquarters and the national training academy in 2006. He pleaded not guilty at the start of his trial.

Backing his claims of mental problems, psychiatrist Vladimir Rajkovic stated that his client had suffered from partial complex epilepsy and impulsive behaviour disorder at the time. He linked the conditions to an incident where he was struck by a cricket ball whilst playing in Australia.

"The illness causes loss of impulse control and compromises anger management," said Rajkovic. "Mark needs lifelong medication to prevent any stress or causing an epileptic discharge because of that injury."

Government psychiatrist Munyaradzi Madombiro noted: "The damage that has been caused causes this behaviour." He stated that condition is incurable but could be controlled by medication.

Vermeulen played 8 Tests and 32 one-day internationals for Zimbabwe. If convicted, he faces 25 years in prison with hard labour. The trial has been adjourned by magistrate Mishrod Guvamombe to January 30.
Both the independent psychiatrist and the government psychiatrist support Vermeulen's case. He doesn't deserve 25 years, obviously he has a mental problem as a result of his blows (I think he also injured his head in a car accident?). Rajkovic said this affects a persons control of anger management, which would explain the incident in England as well :(

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Mark Vermeulen pleads not guilty

Post by Kopje »

True i think they should give him a break on that. I don't think he deserves to be sent to prison, he suffers from a mental problem which he is not in control of. If he goes to prison, i think it would only make it worse, given the current state of prisons in Zimbabwe :roll: . I hope they acquitt him and let him walk away free, this man needs medical attention.