Houghton Resigns (Confirmed by ZC)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Houghton Resigns (Confirmed by ZC)

Post by zimfan1 »

Confirmed by ZC. Resignation accepted.

However he is going to be reassigned to a new role.
Houghton said he had “lost the changeroom” after 18 months in charge and felt that a “new voice” was needed to take the team forward.
After the Board accepted his resignation, ZC Chairman Mr Tavengwa Mukuhlani said: “Dave will always be a legend of our game and it is with regret that he felt the changeroom needed a new voice. “While the past few months have been disappointing as we failed to qualify for both the 50-over World Cup and the T20 World Cup, they should not obscure all the work he has done over the past year to rebuild the foundations for long-term success. “Dave leaves the team with our sincerest thanks for his tireless efforts and we are looking forward to working with him in a different role as we seek to change our on-field fortunes.”
With Houghton gone, an interim technical team to be announced in due course will be in charge of Zimbabwe during their tour to Sri Lanka in January for a white-ball series.
During its meeting on Wednesday, the Board appointed a three-member committee chaired by Mr Lloyd Mhishi to probe the World Cup qualification failures as well as to review ZC’s cricket affairs structure. The committee, whose other members are Mr Godfrey Nyadongo and Mr Blessing Ngondo, has been given three weeks to accomplish the tasks.

secretzimbo

Re: Houghton Resigns (Confirmed by ZC)

Post by secretzimbo »

Significant that they aren't laying any vocal blame at his door and want him to stay on in some capacity.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

End of an era anyway. We've had a horrid 2023 but 2022 was fantastic and he gave us some of the best moments we've had in decades. Beating Bangladesh, beating Pakistan, beating Australia in Australia, qualifying for the T20WC and then getting into the second round. Can't forget those great moments and the feel-good factor he and his team brought.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I'm not even going to get started on the committee and 3 weeks to work out what's wrong. A big pass from me, I'll end up on life support.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Who the fuck is Lloyd Mishi and what qualifies him to be the lead on reviewing our entire cricket structures?!?!?

Lord give me strength

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

I mean it's not like the review will do anything significant; oh well :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Box ticking exercise and they own the box.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

If I was Hamilton I'd be having cold sweats right now.

From the statement they clearly aren't pinning any blame on Dave. They won't pin any blame on the MD, Chairman or the board. So who else is there?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:24 pm
If I was Hamilton I'd be having cold sweats right now.

From the statement they clearly aren't pinning any blame on Dave. They won't pin any blame on the MD, Chairman or the board. So who else is there?
I was about to say this. He is also a perfect replacement for Hami. Chances are Hami will be demoted.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Somebody has to take the fall