Logan cup round January 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Logan cup round January 2024

Post by Googly »

Once the two umpires have agreed that the light levels are unacceptable they will then measure that level and from that point on will have a reference mark for the rest of the game.

There is no "accepted bad light" value. It will vary from game to game, and indeed it does at Test Level.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

I didn’t realize that game ended up being that close. A few years ago the teams would have just had a friendly agreement and played for a draw. The fact that one team was trying anything possible to win and Naqvi’s “time wasting” probably saved the game makes me happy a bit because it was a competitive game.

The problem is someone can’t be allowed to complain for more than 5 minutes on an issue where time is important.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I wasn't there nor did I watch a livestream, but it would appear Naqvi's antics were not in the spirit of the game.
The issue for me though is that the umpires allowed the delays and I'd hazard a guess had no idea how to deal with it all. Bad light is the sole discretion of the umpires, and they should have had the benchmark. Allowing players to influence decisions is the order of the day and needs to stop.
I don't think Rocks were doing anything they could to win above and beyond just trying to get the other side out and knowing the light was not that bad at all.

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's common knowledge amongst the players here that if you keep appealing vociferously you'll eventually get a decision going your way. They also know that if an umpire gives a shocker thru ineptitude its likely he'll try and make up for it with a decision in the other direction shortly thereafter. Maybe give them ear muffs?
The umpiring here is horrendous. It's high time it was addressed.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

They certainly usually have light meters. I’ve seen them use them on streams before

aydee

Post by aydee »

One interesting thing to add to this...

I wasn't watching the Naqvi incident, and hadn't been aware of it until reading this. I did watch some of the stream later that day... and Jalat Khan was bowling non stop bouncers at Mayavo, who was hooking away wildly. In fact, he hooked his first 2 balls for 4.

Clearly this would have been after this "light" incident, and Rocks were bowling short and fast, and Mayavo was looking a bit ungainly but managing to survive and score.