Logan Cup 10th-13th Jan | Mountaineers Vs Eagles | Tuskers Vs Rhinos

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Logan Cup 10th-13th Jan | Mountaineers Vs Eagles | Tuskers Vs Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Adelaide (South Australia) has a weak comp too.
Kid I went to school with who didn’t make out high school side in Sydney rode to 2nd grade in Adelaide. That told me all.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

300 is 300, he can have a day off these questions about his pedigree today :lol:

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

The best way for us to see if he is good enough is for him to be included in the u25s/Zim A tour to the UK. Then we can see if he is good enough. I’m sure Myers will be there too and that’s how he will probably kickstart his career for Zimbabwe. If Naqvi succeeds there then I think we should all agree that they need to do whatever it takes to get him playing for us

Are any counties touring this year ? That’s another way.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

My concern is that if he performs well there and keeps playing like that, he will get a better opportunity and leave. That is a real possibility and why I’m not 100% invested yet. We have had our fair share of heartbreaks and this is a very delicate issue.

“Imports” like Goodwin, Johnson and Ballance(even though he grew up in Zim) have shown they can jump ship very quickly. They at least had solid ties to Zim. If Naqvi gets a better opportunity I wouldn’t blame him for taking it. That’s just the reality of life.

So ZC has to play their cards wisely and get him to commit if they are going to put all that effort. Maybe even give him some type of contract as a sign of their own commitment to him. I think it’s within the rules to give someone a contract even if they haven’t played for the national team. Rather give him than some guys who haven’t played for the national team for years allegedly

Googly

Post by Googly »

Unless he's got a Brit passport no opportunities await him in England.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

Isn't he belgian though?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Kolpak is long gone. You need a Brit passport.
If the Counties they play put some good bowlers out he'll find it tough, just as every good player has before him.

Ballance, BT, Jarvis, Raza, Ervine and Williams have all been able to negotiate decent liveable deals which have enabled a couple of the others to get 3-5k deals I would imagine.
Everyone else has to be grateful they're playing international cricket and pray they become brilliant or that everyone else becomes so shit that they become indispensable as well.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:13 am
Kolpak is long gone. You need a Brit passport.
If the Counties they play put some good bowlers out he'll find it tough, just as every good player has before him.

Ballance, BT, Jarvis, Raza, Ervine and Williams have all been able to negotiate decent liveable deals which have enabled a couple of the others to get 3-5k deals I would imagine.
Everyone else has to be grateful they're playing international cricket and pray they become brilliant or that everyone else becomes so shit that they become indispensable as well.
I’m thinking more in terms of grade cricket in Australia or being given a fair chance in Pakistan. Money wise I think he will make more playing for Zim relatively quickly but I don’t know if money is his main motivator. Those opportunities can come if he gets a freakishly high score against some county 2s. He has the ability to convert so I’m not putting that completely past him

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Put it this way. If there was a Zimbabwean breaking records, scoring 300s in Uganda would you not be interested to see how he does in our domestic stuff?

Scoring 300 is now part of his CV. Shit bowling or not. He can use it

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Dion Myers is good. Surely better than the ones getting their chances now. Madhevere is talented, I have no doubt about that. He has scored against quality bowlers , he needs to sort out his attitude and put in more effort.

If Naqvi can get eligible then this trio is the closest they can get to having a somewhat reliable middle order.

Now we have to see if Welch brothers, Bennett, Campbell, Curran and some others can push for a spot or two. They are good players. Unfortunately again I'm talking about white players, but my intension here is not to differentiate, genuinely I'm not seeing enough talent in Kaitano, Marumani, K-Long, Madande, Munyonga, so I'm not having much options. The two I'd still continue to persist with would be Gumbie and I Kaia, and amongst bowlers I'd be very much interested in Maposa, he is a genuinely quick bowler and I'd love to see Kirby investing some time in him. Amongst spinners, surely I'll invest in Mavuta over wellington or mufudza or anyone else.

Then we have to hope from the U19s we can unearth some talent. Schonken, Taruvinga, Ronak, Kamwemba, Nyamhuri... All of them I see have done quite well, so we have some hope here... May be even Kohl Eksteen , he has also done well.

It's going to be a long road to the rebuilding process, everything from here on should be done keeping 2027 WC in mind. I'm sorry to say but it's time we slowly move away from Ervine and Williams... I'll stick with Raza... However the future has to takeover NOW. We are not going anywhere with the old lot.