Match Thread: Patrons XI v Zimbabweans (4-Day Match)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread: Patrons XI v Zimbabweans (4-Day Match)

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jimbo wrote:I think that Chibhabha will definetly have to come back into the squad for the 1st one day international for dabengwa and obviously utseya for Maruma.
I dont know why the selectors have perservered with Dabengwa for so long, He is a very Mediocre player at international level. If Feel that maybe the selectors have cottoned on to the idea that in a lot of international line-ups there is a healthy mix of right-hand, Left-hand batsmen as it puts bowlers off their lines if they rotate the singles effectively.
If this is the case why not give duffin a go, The man has done nothing wrong at first class level his last match playing for the provinces he almost got a century and was then dropped for the next game!!!!! :evil:
Sibanda though a good one day player has not exelled in first class matches and should be replaced in the four day games.
I feel that of the players coming through kasteni+ chakabva have a big zim future only not quite yet..They are still very raw and must have plenty of domestic games first.
In australia a lot of the newer test players have played around 150-200 first class games before they make their test debut
I agree with everything you've written. Guys like Michael Hussey and Chris Rogers are around for 10 years before debuting, unfortunately Zimbabwe doesn't have that luxury.

Chakabva really looks to be the class act, but I hope he doesn't play for Zimbabwe for quite a long time. It's been a long time coming, but Zim has finally got to the stage where we have a reasonably good first 15 or so, and the squad seems reasonably settled. This team, on their day, can beat anyone, they just need to concentrate more on their batting IMO. It seems that every time a batsman scores a century, the rest of the team tends to do well - so perhaps someone like Duffin (in FC matches) would be a good inclusion because he can really knuckle down and build an innings.

Back on Chakabva, the worst thing for him at the moment would be to expose him to international cricket. At the moment he is excelling against the South African teams. What needs to happen is he needs to be included in all Zimbabwe A teams, and perhaps in Zimbabwe XI teams against other "A" teams. Against the lower quality opposition, he can gain confidence. If we throw him in against the likes of Pakistan and Sri Lanka, it could damage his self esteem if he does badly. So, IMO he should continue to develop his technique and style against B grade opponents, and when he is ready for the step up he should be able to have a smooth transition. Regis Chakabva is the future of Zimbabwe cricket.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Looks like maruma is Showing the way to the batsmen with 59 not out :mrgreen:

Still have a lot to do to save the follow on but at least maruma is showing himself to be a capable batsman, It probably wont be enough for inclusion in the ODI series as maruma was picked as a spinner alone and got a tonking this match
Pricey and Utseya are the men for the ODI series but if zimbabwe keep on investing in maruma in zimbabwe A sides and domestically this boy will shine and he should be a regular within a couple of years

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I've said for a while Maruma is a good batsman. To put it one way, I am not worried if he is at the crease. He will have a FC hundred soon enough. He is a star in the making. I can't believe how many talented (mostly young) spinners Zimbabwe has: Utseya, Maruma, Cremer, Williams, Kamungozi, Price... if only one of them decided to become an express bowler. We could really do with a Brett Lee in the side, we do lack genuine pace, and it does leave us exposed on occasion (but not in Cape Town it seems).

He sure led the way today. If he can make 71, why can't the top order. Disappointing loss, but somewhat inevitable since the first innings. Let's put it down to acclimatising and hope for a better show in the one-dayers. Ray Price didn't seem to concerned in his interview with Cricinfo.

Looking forward to a good ODI series.