Zimbabwe Vs Sri Lanka| 2nd T20 |16 Jan 2024

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Zimbabwe Vs Sri Lanka| 2nd T20 |16 Jan 2024

Post by Googly »

Off the back of one decent game this is your conclusion?

T20 has never been his strong suit. He did well yesterday, but let's dissect that a bit. 25 off 20 is decent and he batted smartly and most importantly looked like he belonged there, but SL haven't seen him yet and there's no footage on him.
Pretty sure the clearing to leg they've picked up and if he does that every time he's not going to find it so easy. He was taking it off the stumps and punching off the back foot thru the offside and did it damned well, but they kept feeding him. The answer to that is to follow him or bowl it wider and fuller or just fuller, which they're going to do this time around, they wont let him settle into that again. I'm sure he'll know that and hopefully have some answers. He just mustn't be too predictable with his foot movements. A big trigger outside off once in a while would get the bowlers thinking. He's got a good pull shot as well.

They'll be back in time for the franchise T20 and hopefully he bats up the order and gets some time in the middle.

My question mark is why you'd put a guy you haven't seen much of at 3 in a must win game. He didn't get pushed down the order because we lost an early wicket and needed to consolidate. In the Zim u25's they had him at 7 or 8, but in the national side they try him at 3. :lol: :lol:
This is what we're dealing with here. Nobody questions those coaches as to what theyre thinking, theyre no amswerable. He might find himself opening, or keeping or batting at 11 at some point.

Googly

Post by Googly »

What I would like to see is Bennett get some early overs when they're not looking to pull the trigger. He's a decent bowler and they need to get him used to it. He tends to fire it in and it won't get much turn, but he's got a cricketing brain and if he's what we're looking for he'll adapt quickly.
I think the captains often will or won't pick a guy like Shumba/Bennett/Madhevere to bowl based on how they went in the previous net.

Googly

Post by Googly »

The one thing that alarmed me a little was Madande being determined to hit that ball out the stadium when we needed 2 from 2. His go to is that jump to off to access the leg side. All ended well so don't jump down my throat, but had he missed that very low percentage shot we'd have been in deep shit. He gets the fever.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't get our franchise schedule. They play 8 four day games on the trot. Waaay too much long cricket all in one go. If they played 4 games when it was dry and the last 4 at the back end of the season and then the white ball stuff in between it makes a lot more sense.
They need to mix it up. Part of being a pro cricketer is being able to switch easily been formats and they need to adjust the schedule. Plus there's only 6 or so T20's. They need at least 12, if not more. They bunch those T20's into one week I'm guessing to cut costs, but its absolutely not the answer.

PommiePom

Post by PommiePom »

TapsC2 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:27 pm
The Sri Lankan coach will die from stress one day. I remember in the qualifiers too. He was extremely nervous
He coached England, he’s used to it :lol:

PommiePom

Post by PommiePom »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:58 pm
Clive and Luke you beauties omg
Clearly took offence to members of the forum doubting their place in the t20 side - awesome hitting from them!

Googly

Post by Googly »

That won't go away. Doing it once a year is hardly time to celebrate. But good on them. Let's see more.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Googly wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:54 am
Off the back of one decent game this is your conclusion?

T20 has never been his strong suit. He did well yesterday, but let's dissect that a bit. 25 off 20 is decent and he batted smartly and most importantly looked like he belonged there, but SL haven't seen him yet and there's no footage on him.
Pretty sure the clearing to leg they've picked up and if he does that every time he's not going to find it so easy. He was taking it off the stumps and punching off the back foot thru the offside and did it damned well, but they kept feeding him. The answer to that is to follow him or bowl it wider and fuller or just fuller, which they're going to do this time around, they wont let him settle into that again. I'm sure he'll know that and hopefully have some answers. He just mustn't be too predictable with his foot movements. A big trigger outside off once in a while would get the bowlers thinking. He's got a good pull shot as well.

They'll be back in time for the franchise T20 and hopefully he bats up the order and gets some time in the middle.

My question mark is why you'd put a guy you haven't seen much of at 3 in a must win game. He didn't get pushed down the order because we lost an early wicket and needed to consolidate. In the Zim u25's they had him at 7 or 8, but in the national side they try him at 3. :lol: :lol:
This is what we're dealing with here. Nobody questions those coaches as to what theyre thinking, theyre no amswerable. He might find himself opening, or keeping or batting at 11 at some point.
I don't have an issue with him batting at 3 at all , he has a much better chance of succeeding there than at number 7 or 8 and has shown twice now in t20 cricket he can do it at 3.

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Raza has been signed for the T20 Blast in the UK. Going to play for Northants. Good on him.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

What I observe with Craig, Sean, Brian and a few others is they look like they really struggle to clear the fence unless it’s sitting perfect for them.
I don’t rate Jongwe as a bat at all but what he did in the last over, which many batsman could do in those conditions, I couldn’t see Sean doing despite being a quality bat.
They need to eat more steak I think.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*