Your first XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jimbo

Your first XI

Post by jimbo »

If zimbabwe resume tests this year i would pick an alternative side for the ODI squad

Jimbo's Zimbabwe test Squad

1.Duffin
2.Taylor
3.Chibhabha
4.Taibu
5.Williams
6.Mazakadza
7.Chigumbura
8.Brent
9.Utseya
10.mahwire
11.Price
On a seaming wicket i would be tempted to drop price and play rainsford

ODI Squad
1.Sibanda
2.Taylor
3.Cibhabha
4.Taibu
5.Williams
6.Coventry
7.Chigumbura
8.Utseya
9.Brent
10.Price
11.Rainsford

Mpofu is not far from displacing rainsford in my ODI 11 but i think rainsford is marginally the better bowler, Also Sibanda has earnt his place in the ODI line-up nowaday with terrefic form over the past two years. Matsikenyeri and dabengwa would not come close to my 11

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Your first XI

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

This is a great post, so I have split it into a new topic.

Here are my Test and ODI elevens:

Test

It was very tough to pick this, to be honest. Zimbabwe have such a strong tail, and unbelievable strength in spin bowling (well, as much as you can expect for Zimbabwe). Any of Utseya, Price, Cremer, and Maruma could make the first eleven, but obviously you can't play 4 spinners. Even playing 3 is overkill, but in my lineup, Prosper Utseya is playing as a number four batsman. I don't think this is an unrealistic move, and it opens up a spot for another bowler, as does the presence of allrounder Elton Chigumbura.

I went with Cremer because I think he is the one most likely to perform at Test level. He's played, what, 6 Test's I think? And he did pretty well considering the circumstances. He has developed into a bloody good batsman too. Maruma would have to be very close to making the team, he just seems to have so much potential. Perhaps like Regis Chakabva, he should play in Zimbabwe A matches for a while to build confidence. Over the past few years, Zimbabwe haven't had the luxury of developing players, maybe now is a good time to start doing it again rather than throwing young kids in the deep end. Blessing Mahwire would also be very close to a spot as the 3rd quick, but I think Mpofu should be first choice. Under the playing eleven I've included my "next in lines".

1. Terrence Duffin
2. Brendan Taylor (wk)
3. Tatenda Taibu
4. Prosper Utseya (c)
5. Hamilton Masakadza
6. Sean Williams
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Ray Price
10. Gary Brent
11. Chris Mpofu

Reserve spinner: Timycen Maruma
Reserve quick: Blessing Mahwire
Reserve batsman: Chamu Chibhabha

ODI

This was a bit easier to pick. I think for consistency, Taibu should bat at 3 in ODI's too. That's where your best batsman plays. I think it is time Williams moved back to number 4. In one-dayers, that is where he performs best. In fact, I think in the domestic games he bats at 3? Chibhabha is good enough to be in the eleven, but there is no room for him in the top order, so he could be moved to 6. Maybe he could bat at 5 and Masakadza at 6, I suppose it depends on the situation. Obviously, Sibanda is back as opener.

1. Vusi Sibanda
2. Brendan Taylor (wk)
3. Tatenda Taibu
4. Sean Williams
5. Hamilton Masakadza
6. Chamu Chibhabha
7. Elton Chigumbura
8. Prosper Utseya (c)
9. Ray Price
10. Gary Brent
11. Chris Mpofu

Reserve spinner: Timycen Maruma
Reserve quick: Tawanda Mupariwa
Reserve batsman: Stuart Matsikenyeri

While we're at it, here's my first XI for the Zimbabwe A side. Some of the players are already in one of the above squads, but I've included them here because they are not "core" players so to speak - ie. they might be in and out of the side on occasion. Friday Kasteni close but needs more domestic experience. If Coventry was around, I'd say he should be in here too, maybe in place of Matsikenyeri.

1. Terrence Duffin (c)
2. Gregory Strydom
3. Regis Chakabva (wk)
4. Ryan Butterworth
5. Stuart Matsikenyeri
6. Keegan Meth
7. Keith Dabengwa
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Prosper Tsvanhu
10. Blessing Mahwire
11. Ed Rainsford

Reserve spinner: Tafazwa Kamungozi
Reserve quick: Taurai Muzarabani
Reserve batsman: Tino Mawoyo

Great topic, I had fun making those lists!

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Im sure that coventry has made a rod for his own back by late night drinking in the carribean tour 2006 and in general falling out with the coaches.
Nevertheless he did play in the logan cup and any batsman with a modicum of talent ( lot of talent in this boy's case) should be perservered with. Coventry's beef was with curran who is no longer in set-up

Could ZC coax this wonderfull talent back into the squad? I sure think so. With a strike rate of 94 ZC should be nurturing talent whatever colour and he has too much to merely jettison

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

It's good to see where we came from since the overhaul of the side in 2006 (remember that series against Kenya early in the year?)

This was the ODI team then (with the supersub)

P Rinke
T Duffin
H Masakadza
B Taylor
E Chigumbura
C Coventry
K Meth
G Strydom
N Mahwire
P Utseya
A Ireland
E Rainsford

Now:

V Sibanda
B Taylor
C Chibhabha
T Taibu
H Masakadza
S Williams
E Chigumbura
P Utseya
G Brent
R Price
C Mpofu

We have gained Sibanda, Chibhabha, Taibu, Williams, Brent, Price and Mpofu since early 2006!! It was remarkable that we were even able to compete against Kenya with the likes of Meth and Rinke and Duffin making their ODI debuts.

iwantmore

Post by iwantmore »

My first XI

1. Taylor
2. Rinke
3. Strydom
4. Taibu (wk)
5. Williams
6. Strydom
7. Coventry
8. Meth
9. Utseya (c)
10. Payanganara
11. Nicholson

farhan

Post by farhan »

well my test team for zim be like this
1- Sibanda
2- MASAKADZA
3- CHIBHAHBA
4-TAYLOR
5- TAIBU
6- WILLIAMS
7- CHIGUMBURA
8- UTSYA
9- PRICE
10- MPOFU
11- RAINSFORD
while,BRENT,MARUMA AND MATSKENRYE CAN BE BAKC UP.
i wil stick with the same team for ODI though brent can be in first 11 for ODIS.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

iwantmore wrote:My first XI

1. Taylor
2. Rinke
3. Strydom
4. Taibu (wk)
5. Williams
6. Strydom
7. Coventry
8. Meth
9. Utseya (c)
10. Payanganara
11. Nicholson
I see you really like Strydom :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

iwantmore

Post by iwantmore »

Haha thanks boet.

The team I've selected is a bit pro-white, but I just think that that team would probably be Zim's most competitive.

Greg Strydom, this guy has been a colossus in the first-class competition. I can't see why he hasn't been selected. Nicholson tore up a few batting line ups, and I've heard he's got some genuine pace. I've heard great things about Keegan Meth too. Keegan probably has the most hardcore name I've ever heard. haha

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

ODI Team

1.Taylor
2. Sibanda
3. Williams
4. Taibu
5. Coventry
6. Masakadza
7. Chigumbura
8. Utseya
9. Price
10. Brent
11. Rainsford

Test Team
1. Duffin
2. Taylor
3. Sibanda
4. Taibu
5. Williams
6. Coventry
7. Chigumbura
8. Price
9. Cremer
10. Brent
11. Rainsford

Probably the biggest surprise is the omission of Utseya from the Test side. I am not yet convinced of his effectiveness in the longer formats. Also notice Keith Dabengwa is absent. He would be lucky to make my 3rd XI.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

eugene wrote:Probably the biggest surprise is the omission of Utseya from the Test side. I am not yet convinced of his effectiveness in the longer formats.
It's true that historically Utseya's been economic but not good at getting people out - a fairly fatal flaw in Test cricket. But if you look at his figures for the SuperSport Challenge - across the 3 matches, he took 18 wickets at an average of just 16 & a strike rate of 29.1 - his effectiveness is something he's been working on. Means I'd be reluctant to leave him out of a Test side...