Name your Test XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Name your Test XI

Post by eugene »

I figured I would start a dedicated thread to test XIs as they will be popping up all over the place after the Bangladesh tests. What is your XI with the Bangladesh test series now behind us? Mine is as follows:

1. Tino Mawoyo
2. PJ Moor
3. Sean Williams
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Hamilton Masakadza
6. Craig Ervine
7. Richmond Mutumbami
8. Elton Chigumbura
9. Shingirai Masakadza
10. Ray Price
11. Kyle Jarvis

Elton as the third seamer is a bit of a risk, but Hamilton is becoming quite a useful part-timer so I think it is ok.

Reserves:
Malcolm Waller
Vusi Sibanda
Kevin Kasuza
Graeme Cremer
Keegan Meth
Tendai Chatara
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Name your Test XI

Post by Jemisi »

Ok, I'll play, for this home season -

Sibanda
Mawoyo
Masakadza
Taylor
Williams
Chigumbura
Mutumbami
Cremer
Meth
Shingi
Jarvis

Waller and Rainsford as batting and bowling reserves.

Conant

Post by Conant »

Williams would never survive at three, not with that angled bat he plays against the quicks. Fodder for slip fielders. Should swop him for Hamilton Masakadza. why would you want to move Masakadza anyway?

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

eugene wrote:I figured I would start a dedicated thread to test XIs as they will be popping up all over the place after the Bangladesh tests. What is your XI with the Bangladesh test series now behind us? Mine is as follows:

1. Tino Mawoyo
2. PJ Moor
3. Sean Williams
4. Brendan Taylor
5. Hamilton Masakadza
6. Craig Ervine
7. Richmond Mutumbami
8. Elton Chigumbura
9. Shingirai Masakadza
10. Ray Price
11. Kyle Jarvis

Elton as the third seamer is a bit of a risk, but Hamilton is becoming quite a useful part-timer so I think it is ok.

Reserves:
Malcolm Waller
Vusi Sibanda
Kevin Kasuza
Graeme Cremer
Keegan Meth
Tendai Chatara
PJ Moor?
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

eugene

Post by eugene »

Yep, PJ Moor. I have decided to start Moor-mania, similar to Meth-mania, Ervine-mania, and Matsi-mania. Whenever a bandwagon starts at ZCF the selectors seem to listen. PJ Moor needs to be thrown in at the top to see where he is at and should open in all domestic matches.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

No Chigs for me in Tests..He is simply too unreliable. Hami is a better seamer than him.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Is Ervine coming back?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Based on what is available in the near future (which rules out Craig Ervine), I would go with eugene on the Masakadza demotion. He can more and more get into the Guy Whittall mould. For this, Sean Williams will have to man up and commit himself to the nation's cause.

I would stick with Regis Chakabva. I don't seem to be getting too much support on this one. And we seem to be littered with examples of technically good players not going on to do well (Matsi, Vusi), but I just hope Regis does not go that way. He has the patience to grind it out, and the technique to take the bowling on, as we saw in the two knocks in this test. Unlucky to be given out in first, and out to a gem in the second. Couldn't have done much different. He is my choice to partner Tino at the top of the order.

we are certainly not playing musical chairs, so Chigumbura stays on at 7 for me as of now. So, here goes:

Tino Mawoyo
Regis Chakabva
Sean Williams
Brendan Taylor
Hamilton Masakadza
Richmond Mutumbami
Elton Chigumbura
Keegan Meth
Shingi Masakadza
Raymond Price
Kyle Jarvis

Vusi Sibanda replaces Sean Williams at 3 if Williams is unavailable or doesn't agree to play higher up the order. Ervine also vies for no. 3 spot if he comes back. Cremer comes in for Meth on spinning wickets.

Yorker
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Yorker »

I believe the future Test XI will depend upon ZC's decision regarding the substantive coach position. But if the current format is follwed then the likes of M'Shangwe, Chatara and Ed will be net bowlers for some time due to their Mpofu-esque batting averages.

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:

I would stick with Regis Chakabva. I don't seem to be getting too much support on this one. And we seem to be littered with examples of technically good players not going on to do well (Matsi, Vusi), but I just hope Regis does not go that way. He has the patience to grind it out, and the technique to take the bowling on, as we saw in the two knocks in this test. Unlucky to be given out in first, and out to a gem in the second. Couldn't have done much different. He is my choice to partner Tino at the top of the order.
I would like to give Regis another chance for sure. He certainly impressed me but I am not sure where to give him the opportunity in the batting order. I couldn't watch Richmond bat so won't be making comment on his batting.
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu