Name your Test XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Name your Test XI

Post by sloandog »

PJ Moor Eugene ? Really dude ? I often agree with you on most matters, but swapping Moor for Sibanda is a strange one. Every time I've seen Moor bat, I seem to pull a :arrow: :| face, because he looks average. Okay he scored a couple of half centuries at FC level, but that doesn't warrant opening the batting for the test side.

I know it's all our own subjective choices, and the thread is your test XI, but I don't see the logic in throwing in Moor at the deep end like that. Sibanda may blow hot and cold, but he's just one big score away, honest when he gets that score I reckon he'll be hard to stop. We've seen him in full flow in the past, and it's wonderful to watch. He has a crackin' eye and all the shots, he just needs to be stuck with for the home season I think. Then, if he keeps failing, ask him to go away and work on his game.

I love it when we bat first because I get to see Vusi Sibanda open the batting. Love seeing those cover drives, back punches and pulls he has. So I'd stick with Sibanda at the top, and give him the home season to prove his worth.

My 11 would be:

1. Tino Mawoyo
2. Vusi Sibanda
3. Sean Williams
4. Brendan Taylor (Cpt)
5. Hamilton Mazakadza
6. Richmond Mutombami (Wkt)
7. Elton Chigumbura SO tempted to bring in Sikander Raza
8. Graeme Cremer
9. Shingrai Mazakadza
10. Ray Price The man has to be in surely.
11. Kyle Jarvis

12th man: Keegan Meth

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Waller is now worth his place in the side, Chigs earned a reprieve but I still don't rate his bowling, I am concerned about Vusi but it took a long time to find unearth the Vusi-Mawoyo partnership and they need a vote of confidence, we have no other choice. Cremer is too expensive and easy to target, without the corresponding wicket howls but he too needs another vote of confidence (I really like Mushangwe to have a look in but not permanently yet, let him play 'A' games for a while). So, not many changes for me.

1. Mawoyo
2. Vusi
3. Hami
4. Taylor
5. Waller
6. Mutumbami
7. Chigs
8. Cremer (Price in a heartbeat if Cremer loses form in the one day series)
9. Shingi
10. Jarvis
11. Chatara

Robin

Post by Robin »

1. Mawayo
2. Sibanda
3. Hamilton
4. Taylor
5. Williams
6. Chigumbura
7. Chakabva (How much difference a return to cricket by Taibu would make)
8. Cremer
9. Meth
10. Shingi
11. Jarvis

Also centrally contract; M.Waller, Mutumbodzi, Mushangwe, Mpofu, Chatara and Vitori

Try and identify some potential test openers - Maruma

Try and indentify test talent very early and fast track the development of the chosen players; Kazuza, Lake (is he still in Zim?) and Jongwe would be good options.

eugene

Post by eugene »

I am identifying new talent by selecting PJ Moor. Brendan Taylor was thrown in at an even earlier stage, so I do not see why Moor cannot be also. He has the talent, just needs the opportunity. No point trying to turn a journeyman like Maruma into a test opener. Maruma would have more chance of success in the middle order.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:I am identifying new talent by selecting PJ Moor. Brendan Taylor was thrown in at an even earlier stage, so I do not see why Moor cannot be also. He has the talent, just needs the opportunity. No point trying to turn a journeyman like Maruma into a test opener. Maruma would have more chance of success in the middle order.
It's a fair point, but not opening. Taylor was thrown in opening because he'd some some kind of 'experience' opening the batting at FC level in the 2003/04 season, Moor bats at 4, 5 or 6 when he does play, which isn't every game I might add.

Of what I've seen of Moor, he bats a lot like Taylor did in 2004, not a lot of footwork and minimal bat lift. But hey, if Cephas Zuwayo can break the side, im sure Priestly can

eugene

Post by eugene »

Moor-mania has begun.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

I'm beginning to suspect this mania has something to do with making him ineligible for Ireland. ;)

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

eugene wrote:Moor-mania has begun.
:lol: I wonder if the ZC officials looks at this

Robin

Post by Robin »

Both Sean Williams and Kazuza appear to be more natural compilers of runs. From the very little I've seen of Moor and Kazuza the later appears to have the tighter technique.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

Robin wrote:Both Sean Williams and Kazuza appear to be more natural compilers of runs. From the very little I've seen of Moor and Kazuza the later appears to have the tighter technique.
Yea I have to agree on that part