Name your Test XI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Name your Test XI

Post by betterdays »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote: Cremer: 7 wickets at 26, 99 runs at 33. That's a pretty good series and I can't see any of the other spinners doing better than that.
oh dear, stats going askew again. :) I'd leave him in the next two series but only because a good leggie is a massive plus in a side and a good leggie can learn defense, certainly not on the basis of his bowling returns the past couple of series. he also bats a bit:)

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Hamilton needs to be given a go down the order. Vusi needs to have a chance to carry the drinks. Sean Williams has a good technique and can survive at 3. PJ Moor as the stroke-playing opener in combination with Tino 'the wall' Mawoyo and our top order woes are solved.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

Jemisi wrote:
takleg wrote:Cremer for me has to go. He drops catches, leaks runs and takes no wickets. His bowling speeds are too slow for international cricket, averages 1 long hop every 4-7 balls, definitely not good enough.

Elton. A bits and pieces alrounder whose game is better suited to limited over cricket. He's a NO for me in Tests. In his place comes Sean Williams and I believe Hamilton is a better bowler than him so that's that.

Waller. He sticks around, but will probably never really excel. I like him, I really do, but, I'd rather have somebody with a much better technique and ability than him. So Craig Ervine replaces him.

Mawoyo
Sibanda
Hamilton Masakadza
Taylor(c)
Ervine
Williams
Mutumbami(wk)
Meth
Shingi Masakadza
Price/M'shangwe
Jarvis
But with Ervine unavailable this winter you'd keep Waller?
Only if Craig is unavailable.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

Jemisi

Post by Jemisi »

Yeah, I'd swap Waller for Ervine too.

Boundary
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Boundary »

Kriterion_BD wrote:Sibanda has been underperforming for a while, but I think he should be persisted with because he has obvious talent. Only if a better player presents himself should he be replaced. If Sibanda can hit a quickish 50 every few innings at the top, with Mawoyo grinding all the shine off the new ball, it puts ZIM in a good position, say 75 or 80-1 by lunch or the first session.
Funny enough I agree with this. He sets the mood for the others, if he gets bogged down (he doesn't do singles well) then somehow mentally the whole team feels the pressure. I like Vusi in full flow but he doesn't have the brakes once he starts, that's why he gets out cheaply. The question is: Hamilton coming in at 50-1 in the 15th over OR at 25-1 after lunch?

Similarly, I liked Chigs quick fire counter attack when the team needed him but when he reached the 80s the following day he started getting cautious and he got out. If he can play his natural game at 7 late in the innings, he can take the game away from the opponents the way Sammy did for WI against us in the first test. That can mean the difference between a loss and draw, that's why I'd keep Chigumbura in.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

betterdays wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote: Cremer: 7 wickets at 26, 99 runs at 33. That's a pretty good series and I can't see any of the other spinners doing better than that.
oh dear, stats going askew again. :) I'd leave him in the next two series but only because a good leggie is a massive plus in a side and a good leggie can learn defense, certainly not on the basis of his bowling returns the past couple of series. he also bats a bit:)
What was misleading about those stats? I just took them off the Cricinfo page for the series.

betterdays

Post by betterdays »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
betterdays wrote:
brmtaylor.com admin wrote: Cremer: 7 wickets at 26, 99 runs at 33. That's a pretty good series.
oh dear, stats going askew again. :)
What was misleading about those stats? I just took them off the Cricinfo page for the series.
I wasn't suggesting you were being misleading but the 4/4 (obviously he still needed to get those wickets) were from a situation Zim won't be in very often at all and massaged those figures no end.