ODI Squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

ODI Squad

Post by zimfan1 »

Via Bet 365
Zimbabwe: Vusi Sibanda, Regis Chakabva, Sikandar Raza, Hamilton Masakadza, Brendan Taylor, Malcolm Waller, Sean Williams, Elton Chigumbura, Natsai Mushangwe, Shingi Masakadza, Kyle Jarvis, Brian Vitori, Prosper Utseya.
Two spots up for grabs, Raza v Regis at the top and whether to play one or two spinners.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: ODI Squad

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Interesting. We have only 5 front line bowlers. Of them, Vitori hasn't bowled for ages in a match situation, Jarvis and Shingi have been on the expensive side in ODIs (although I expect Shingi to correct those numbers this time around) and since it is a slowish pitch, both Mushangwe and Utseya are certainties. No spin backup. Does not look like a good plan. At least batting wise, we have everyone available close by.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

Only 13 players and 3 front line quicks ??? will probably draft in others if need be ..... side would be alot stronger with Ervine, Coventry, Rainsford etc Whats the status of Glen Querl surely he would make both ODI and Test teams ???
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

jaybro wrote:Only 13 players and 3 front line quicks ??? will probably draft in others if need be ..... side would be alot stronger with Ervine, Coventry, Rainsford etc Whats the status of Glen Querl surely he would make both ODI and Test teams ???
Mate Querl was never up for selection. He didn't want to, and he's now playing for Hampshire, probably in a bud to play for England no doubt. Plus, there was a question over the legitimacy of his action

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

sloandog wrote: Querl ... he's now playing for Hampshire, probably in a bud to play for England no doubt. Plus, there was a question over the legitimacy of his action
good luck to him ... has he made the playing 11 since his pre-season warm up outing?

aydee

Post by aydee »

sloandog wrote:probably in a bud to play for England no doubt.
I highly doubt this... He has played 1 friendly match for Hampshire, so getting a full-time county contract would be achievement enough, I think.

The fact is that he has a fairly cushty gig playing club/minor-county/Unicorns/2nd XI cricket in England. So even without a county contract, this is more attractive than making himself available for Zim. #sadbuttrue

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

betterdays wrote:
sloandog wrote: Querl ... he's now playing for Hampshire, probably in a bud to play for England no doubt. Plus, there was a question over the legitimacy of his action
good luck to him ... has he made the playing 11 since his pre-season warm up outing?
Yea mate he's played one FC game, didn't set the world alight. I personally think he'll struggle, but I don't want to say a Zimbo fail, so I hope he does well. Just a shame that more and more players are leaving. Within a decade, unless things change, Zim cricket won't exist. I mean for god sake we cant even get a sponsor to go on our shirts. They look dire, simply dire

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

sloandog wrote:
jaybro wrote:Only 13 players and 3 front line quicks ??? will probably draft in others if need be ..... side would be alot stronger with Ervine, Coventry, Rainsford etc Whats the status of Glen Querl surely he would make both ODI and Test teams ???
Mate Querl was never up for selection. He didn't want to, and he's now playing for Hampshire, probably in a bud to play for England no doubt. Plus, there was a question over the legitimacy of his action

Very disappointing, why is he in the 1st class setup then ?? Same with Sean Ervine, Ballance and all these ring ins from England surely these players are receiving wages which could be used on players who are actually interested in representing Zimbabwe. England got sick of players clogging up their County cricket so they brought in restrictions and made overseas players either choose to be Kolpak players or pack their bags ...... End result increasing number of Sth Africans, Zimbabweans and other international players pledging their allegiances to England making them a stronger nation ( Which as an Aussie pissess me off ).
Lets face it take out all the non-English players from England ( Compton, Trott, Pieterson, Prior, Morgan, Panesar and soon to be Ballance )and there is no way they would be as strong
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

there were whispers he was down to play but Heath didnt want to risk the headache of the icc getting involved since he was a chucker...

not sure if true- but if so. dumb dumb dumb.

Better to have had a king for the day then a fool for a lifetime.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

aydee

Post by aydee »

jaybro wrote: Lets face it take out all the non-English players from England ( Compton, Trott, Pieterson, Prior, Morgan, Panesar and soon to be Ballance )and there is no way they would be as strong
Some double standards here, I'm afraid...

Compton, famously English heritage. Not born in the country himself.
Panesar, Indian heritage. Born and raised in England.

By your standards, these guys would not be eligible to play for any country: Compton couldn't play for SA because of his English heritage. Panesar couldn't play for India, because (despite his heritage) he was not born in the country.

Cricket actually (thankfully) has fairly strict qualification criteria when compared to most sports. The UK is a very multicultural place. Surely it makes sense if their cricket reflects this...