Matthew Bentley plans a career with Ireland

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
andrewn9

Matthew Bentley plans a career with Ireland

Post by andrewn9 »

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ ... 3285.shtml

Turning to his own future, Bentley is hoping to settle here in the long term and stake a claim to play for Ireland. “I know the Zimbabwe role will rule me out in the medium term but I hope to study here next year and work towards qualification for Ireland. I took a year out of college to prepare for and play in the under-19 World Cup in Australia but I expect to resume my studies shortly. I am also aware that the RSA Inter-Provincial series is happening this summer and I would obviously be thrilled if I did enough to earn a call up to the Warriors squad.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Re: Matthew Bentley plans a career with Ireland

Post by eugene »

Another one bites the dust.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

Not surprising.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

From reading this and other articles concerning young Zimbabwean cricketers leaving to play and qualify for European nations this must be a massive concern for the board and alarm bells must be ringing. Since Im not there can some one please explain to me why all these players would rather play for a non-Test playing nation like Ireland over their country of birth ??? Is it just about money ??? or are there other contributing factors ???
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

samedwards

Post by samedwards »

jaybro wrote:From reading this and other articles concerning young Zimbabwean cricketers leaving to play and qualify for European nations this must be a massive concern for the board and alarm bells must be ringing. Since Im not there can some one please explain to me why all these players would rather play for a non-Test playing nation like Ireland over their country of birth ??? Is it just about money ??? or are there other contributing factors ???
I believe it is a combination of a better quality of life with greater job security and reliable income, and the fact that Ireland with its huge leaps in their cricket programme and possibility of them becoming a Test nation,sooner or later provides a better sense of career progression.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

so what is Zimbabwe doing about this ??? The future looks bright with established stars like Taylor, Mawoyo, Jarvis and co still having plenty of years in them only if Zimbabwe could convince the likes of Lake, Burl, Moor, Bentley etc to come back throw in Kazusa, Musoko, Mushangwe, Mutombodzi etc and you have a strong side who could compete with the best !!!! Only if ......

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

jaybro wrote:so what is Zimbabwe doing about this ???
just enough for the ICC not to turn their back on us.

jaybro

Post by jaybro »

just enough for the ICC not to turn their back on us.

Well all the best local talent apparently are :(

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

jaybro wrote:Well all the best local talent apparently are :(
I'm not completely convinced about this ... not all and not necessarily the best; of those who have left, Ballance stands head and shoulders above all others (as Hick did) and may well have left anyway given the chance to play for a top level nation. Sean Ervine was also good and must have thought (after some sensational outings for Zim at a tender age) that he had a genuine chance of playing for England [and he had some justification in thinking that at the time].

I'm not blaming the guys who've left for going; it's easy enough (they mostly have ancestry, if not an actual passport) and it's more lucrative (even at club level from what we hear), I even think all of them would have added a lot to the strength of the franchises but I don't feel the "get him in" calls at all for the likes of Moor or Lake or Craig Ervine or ... when you have Jongwe's and Kasuza's who have every chance of filling the same boots with as much/little distinction. I would rather let them grow up in the franchises and if they stick that out... well, defo get 'em in!

Robin

Post by Robin »

Before there is a knee jerk regarding this latest 'defection' you have to consider the trend for the Zimbabwean Middle Classes trend in attending further education in Europe rather than South Africa.

England have a similar issue and there have been many instances of 'high fliers' following a business rather than a sporting career in there mid 20's. The Zimbabweaan issue is simply exagerated by the Uni students being in a different hemisphere during the domestic cricket season whilst in England the same lad will be on his Summer vacation during the English Domestic Season and free to play cricket.

Zimbabwe Cricket would do well to contract the best 3/4 players on their leaving school and encourage them to attend Zim Unis if appropriate. However there appears to be little money available for such as scheme and few players over recent years who would justify the investment:-

I list below the players who whould have fallen into this catogory over the last few years:-

90/91 Mushangwe/Mutumbodzi/Chatara/Mugava/Moor/Higgins
91/92 N.Waller/Price/Kaia/Sauramba/Jaure
92/93 Kazuza/Mayavo/ZImwa(where is he?)/Bentley
93/94 Lake/Musoko/Burl/Masirire
94/95 Jongwe/Chikomba/Geyle/Odendaal

Ironically the Franchise system is actually reducing the chances of youngsters getting a chance as there are more full time professional cricketers than there has ever been in Zim

Look at Jongwe he is immensley talented, but at his age (17) the likes of K.Davies, Olonga, Taibu, Masakadza, S.Ervine, Nkala, Coventry, Englebrecht were being fast tracked into First Class Cricket. Last season only 3 players under the age of 20 played first class cricket in Zim; Mayavo, Kasuza and Musoko.