Has Mangongo cooked his goose?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Re: Has Mangongo cooked his goose?

Post by betterdays »

Conant, i'm sure Googly's info is pretty accurate, even if there seems to be a certain glee in the bearing of bad tidings (considering the lack of posts when Zim do actually "pull a rabbit out of the hat").

... what Zimbos are very quick to do is criticise (the internal 'them' and 'us' is a well-worn, well-rehearsed theme), what they are seriously slow at is self-criticism.

I love Anton Ego's take on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gjT9ujNOm0

Just filter the information out of the presentation! 8-)

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

sloandog wrote:
Conant wrote:No, I don't think Googly is a credible source at all - he's already shown himself to be barely partial; and if he really cared about this, surely e would provide us with a name. He "cannot remember it?" There's only two leg spinners there, which one is it? Oh wait, they all look this same don't they...?

Easy fella', the guy's just giving the information he knows, and I for one am very appreciative of it, as are most of the forumites.
I haven't dismissed his story, just sceptical. And yes, am deeply appreciative too when information is true and correct

Googly

Post by Googly »

Conant, u really have got issues. Firstly why would I invent something with such far reaching consequences? Secondly I was told the guy's name but felt it inappropriate to mention him. The real truth may never come out because it's going to be in a few people's interests, and possibly even Zim cricket for this not to hit the headlines. The guy may be persuaded, intimidated or even paid not to take this further, who knows? Suggesting that all black guys look the same to me is really not cool. I have not written a post in the past that suggests in any way that I am racist so not sure where you are coming from. Granted, it seems apparent that I am probably a white guy from the gist of a few of my posts, but even this may be a surprise to you!! This race thing cuts both ways every time, you have the luxury of shouting "racist" from the roof tops at the slightest provocation, even if there is absolutely no racial undertone whatsoever, and 1000 people will heed your call, the white guys on the ground however, just have to suck it up ad nauseum. It's actually people such as yourself (and there are many whites with your same crap attitude, before you start shouting) that prevent whites and blacks working more closely, your reply to my post illustrates my point. I'm not having a go at him or Mutindira because of their color but because of my many past personal experiences and verified stories that I have heard.

The rest of you suggesting that I only derive enjoyment from something bad happening is not great either. I am desperate for Zim cricket to succeed but have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the current administration or structures and their numerous shortcomings which have proven over and over not to work, yet we keep repeating the same mistakes with the same people and there is absolutely no accountability from anyone. Every time someone steps out of line someone needs to blow the whistle. Why are people that need to be actively policed actually in office anyway, when there are good people capable of running the show having to sit back and watch the whole thing collapse? I did not derive enjoyment from my post, on the contrary, it's really bad news for us on most fronts. It may be that Steve is not the right guy for the job, not because he is black, but simply because he is not the right guy for the job. How difficult is that to grasp? I attempt to judge people only on merit, not by skin color or by political or religious belief. That's not easy living in Zim, I have to tell you, but if one does not attempt to rise above the daily crap you get dealt out here then one should make every effort to leave. It's still a good place though, with great people of all colors. We live in a multi-cultural society and I live in the present and not the past and am not going anywhere. Where do you live, Conant, as a matter of interest?
The fact is that most of the guys in charge are just beyond hopeless. They lack leadership and business skills, they have no work ethic nor integrity, they do not respect, are not respected in turn, most are duplicitous beyond anyone's wildest imagination and need to be replaced. Are people not allowed to have their say because some racist will mistakenly view it as racist? I think not. That's the point of anonymity on this forum isn't it? Were we required to state our names, the Zim based white guys would not breathe a word out of a very real risk of immediate reprisals. Pretty sure that's not hanging over your head.

betterdays

Post by betterdays »

I think you're probably taking this a little too seriously Googly .. but that is your right too
Googly wrote:The rest of you suggesting that I only derive enjoyment from something bad happening is not great either.
I think that was me and you will notice I put italics on the 'seem' - I would have been more prudent if I had noticed you express any pleasure when Zim actually did well in the ODIs despite your predictions. Like you, I call it like I see it.

anyway, keep up the info - it IS much appreciated by all!

Googly

Post by Googly »

I am there at the grounds watching all the matches, being Harare based we only got to see the Tests unfortunately. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than watching a Zim cricket team win, and it's a rare event. What I particularly enjoy is watching the black crowd really get so into it and defy a bit of old-school convention. When I see how they support any player who is doing well for Zim I know that one day maybe things will come right a bit. It fills me briefly with patriotic pride and I know I can never really deep down be anything other than a Zimbo. Same goes for the rugby and the soccer. Then I watch the behind the scenes machinations and the rest of the crap we have to deal with and lapse back into shaking my head in despairing disbelief. We can't expect any of our teams in any discipline to succeed under the current administrations.
It is true that I don't join in the online revelry, partly just me and partly because we are not fielding the strongest teams, which I feel strongly about, so choose to keep quiet.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Oh, and on the upside I heard (this is only a rumor!!) that India may yet come, and if they don't, will compensate ZC to the tune of around $6 mill!! Obviously the folk that have cricket at heart would like to see them here, even with a second string side (and a couple of stars), but sure that there are a few that would just like to see the compensation and subsequent disbursement of funds. Maybe our ex-leader will make a brief return to handle such a large sum?

bayhaus
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by bayhaus »

Googly wrote:Every time someone steps out of line someone needs to blow the whistle.
Yup! just do what you doing man don't get worked up by any negative comments glad there is someone with some inside info. I heard about it this evening and when I came here you already had the scoop! Nice! Aluta Continua till the establishment falls!
POVOAfrika = Arts + Culture + Sustainability
Follow on Twitter
My Blog

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I'm saddened,

When i knew Googly was a white zimbo forumite (a rarity these days, him cock and zimdan, the latter gone missing lately) i knew it was only a matter of time till someone would throw the race card at him.

I think he said it best with racial attacks or backlash always hanging over the white guys heads. The true victims of racism today.
Name one white zimbabwean whos spoken out at something...anything without being accused of racism at some point in some obscure form? Campbell,Coltart, Flower, Bennett,googly, I think unless white zimbos just keep quiet and praise black players at any given opportunity they are going to cop some mindless lazy race accusation at some point.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

betterdays

Post by betterdays »

ZIMDOGGY wrote: I think he said it best with racial attacks or backlash always hanging over the white guys heads. The true victims of racism today.
Lol ZimD ... You continue to be the ZCF comedian. It's not only the leaders who step out of line...we all have access to the whistle ... :). When these guys (coltart, Flower...) get brow-beaten it's racist...when Morgan "falls" out of his office window it's political...who's using the race card. Let's enjoy the fact that Zims' player base...and therefore, options, have increased.
Last edited by betterdays on Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betterdays

Post by betterdays »

Googly wrote: It is true that I don't join in the online revelry, partly just me and partly because we are not fielding the strongest teams, which I feel strongly about, so choose to keep quiet.
Fair enough ... You may forgive the perception though...considering how vocal you are on the faults! You may be surprised but we cannot all agree on the 'strongest' team...surely that is opinion. The strongest player (bar Ed) represented this series. You cannot stop migration so we deal with what we have