Has Mangongo cooked his goose?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Mangongo admits to pushing player

Post by zimfan1 »

Source: http://www.espncricinfo.com/zimbabwe/co ... 36429.html
Mangongo admits to pushing player
ESPNcricinfo staff

May 17, 2013

Be the first to comment | Login via | Text size: A | A Stephen Mangongo, Zimbabwe's interim coach during their series against Bangladesh, has admitted to pushing one of his young players in a moment of rage. Mangongo told Zimbabwe's Herald newspaper that he shoved 22-year old Natsai Mushangwe after the legspinner failed to deliver instructions to a batsman at the crease.

The incident took place last Saturday, during the first Twenty20 against Bangladesh. Mangongo asked Mushangwe, who was one of the reserves, to send a message to Hamilton Masakadza. Instead, he found Mushangwe having a meal.

"I was angry with him and I pushed him and asked the team manager to order him out of the dressing room and he went back to the hotel," Mangongo said. But, he insists there is no bad blood between the two and they will continue to have a good relationship.

Mushangwe played in the second T20 and Mangongo met with both him and his mother in their hometown of Harare after the series to clear the air. "We dealt with the issue to the satisfaction of both sides," he said. "I have groomed Natsai since his club cricket days at Takashinga and I cannot go out to inflict harm on him now when he has finally made it to the national team. I regret the incident that happened and I have gone out of the way to address it with the family."

Although Mushangwe has not submitted a written report of the incident, other members of team management were asked to furnish ZC with the details. Disciplinary action could follow after ZC examines the documents.

Mangongo, who applied for the job of head coach, has had to hand over the reins to Andy Waller but remains the assistant. He is known for his uncompromising approach and stern style, which is a complete antithesis to former coach Alan Butcher's gentle manner.

He has worked in coaching for two decades and was one of the founding members of Takashinga cricket club, known as the heartbeat of black African cricket in the country. Mangongo worked under Butcher for three years and will continue in the role under Waller.
Last edited by maehara on Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic and source link added.

herb
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Has Mangongo cooked his goose?

Post by herb »

Word on the facebook forums is that there was some kicking involved. And here`s what another guy had to say
Shelton Nyadundu:
this has always been him i remember
during my days kuchipembere pri sch
in highfield aitogogodza vana ne bat.
. a lose translation of that last part
during my days at chipembere primary school in highfield, he used to hit kids with a bat
. no doubt zc is giving us a watered down version of what happened. obviously trying to protect him. Still dont know what he does in the team thats more important than a bowling coach. (a racial balance in the coaching staff ,perhaps ??)

foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by foreignfield »

herb wrote:Word on the facebook forums is that there was some kicking involved. And here`s what another guy had to say
Shelton Nyadundu:
this has always been him i remember
during my days kuchipembere pri sch
in highfield aitogogodza vana ne bat.
. a lose translation of that last part
during my days at chipembere primary school in highfield, he used to hit kids with a bat
. no doubt zc is giving us a watered down version of what happened. obviously trying to protect him. Still dont know what he does in the team thats more important than a bowling coach. (a racial balance in the coaching staff ,perhaps ??)
Physical violence is unacceptable, everywhere. Full stop! And yes, I said the same thing about Peter Roebuck.

Googly

Post by Googly »

@Conant. No worries.
We all have different opinions and like it or not, all have varying degrees of racial bias. We come from different backgrounds and have all been subjected to racial crap in one way or the other. The trick is not to get rabies about it.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I told u guys what happened, he grabbed Mushangwe (there...said his name since it's now out in the open) by the throat and tried to kick/knee him in the family jewels. Why don't u believe me? Zimbabwe coaches are chokers!
It's not funny though. If they smooth this over it's just another black/white mark against ZC. There are so many, what's another one? Doubting there is the last straw that breaks the camel's back.
I think Flower should kick Petersen in the nuts.
Curious why Steve spoke to Amai and not Constable Mushangwe? I think Daddy would have handed out an ass-whipping.

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

Googly wrote: Curious why Steve spoke to Amai and not Constable Mushangwe? I think Daddy would have handed out an ass-whipping.
:D ... I think you answered your own question :)

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's disappointing but no doubt a deal has been struck. As a coach when u need a message to get to the batsmen and the messenger doesn't run on immediately with the obligatory gloves or water bottle surely u react forthwith by sending out someone else? It's T20 and things are unfolding fast. If u sit and stew waiting for him to come back from his supposed lunch the game's over Stevie Wonder. If Mushangwe really and truly slipped off for a quiet lunch in an exciting T20 international that we won by 6 runs he deserves to be kicked and choked to death. Not even the spectators slide off for lunch, never mind a player. Seriously, who believes any of this? Hehe

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

@conant

Mate comparing Williams to maruma anyone can see Williams is the better player pretty sure he is the only other batsman to average 30+ in ODI's apart from BRMT. That's not saying maruma shouldn't get a look in for the team but at the moment he is probably behind Waller, Williams and Ervine for a spot in the middle order. As for Carlisle he always averaged mid 20's I think and was dropped from time to time I believe ?? And Grant Flower was always capable of scoring hundreds against the best in the world pretty sure he is 2nd highest run scorer of all time in Zimbabwe ?? So comparing them to masti is not right he was given sooo many chances and never produced he's had his chance too many if u ask me
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I have often wondered why Matsi is held in such high regard. Enough to make someone suspicious. Keith Dabengwa is probably as useful with the bat.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

betterdays
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by betterdays »

eugene wrote:I have often wondered why Matsi is held in such high regard. Enough to make someone suspicious. Keith Dabengwa is probably as useful with the bat.
:) nice try ;) ... not high regard, but comparable regard to the Wisharts and Carlisles whose reputations nostalgia has massaged!