The John Ward column

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: The John Ward column

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

aydee wrote:Yes, but none of them would have been given a 3 year, full-time deal at any point.
Yes, if we look a little deeper, the English counties exploit talent and contracts very badly. Even at his promising best, Tendulkar got a single season with Yorkshire in early 90s, and Kumble too, at the top of his game, one season for Northants (taking bucket loads of wickets for fun in that season). They would mostly have per season contracts with even those regular Aussie visitors, but as soon as they see an opportunity of a Kolpak player, they are very keen to lock them up with multi-year deals. They most probably even actively pursue some folks like BRMT who is sitting on the fence of such decisions by dangling deals of that kind. But when it comes to promising youngsters / national discards of say, teams like Sri Lanka, even when it is clear that they may not get national gig regularly for a couple of years to come, no such overseas investment is made.

aydee

Post by aydee »

CrimsonAvenger wrote:
aydee wrote:Yes, but none of them would have been given a 3 year, full-time deal at any point.
Yes, if we look a little deeper, the English counties exploit talent and contracts very badly. Even at his promising best, Tendulkar got a single season with Yorkshire in early 90s, and Kumble too, at the top of his game, one season for Northants (taking bucket loads of wickets for fun in that season). They would mostly have per season contracts with even those regular Aussie visitors, but as soon as they see an opportunity of a Kolpak player, they are very keen to lock them up with multi-year deals. They most probably even actively pursue some folks like BRMT who is sitting on the fence of such decisions by dangling deals of that kind. But when it comes to promising youngsters / national discards of say, teams like Sri Lanka, even when it is clear that they may not get national gig regularly for a couple of years to come, no such overseas investment is made.
You're right, but I don't think you can blame the counties. They don't have any responsibility to look after anyone other than themselves. The whole problem with Kolpaks is that it doesn't count as "overseas investment". Kolpaks count as local players, and can therefore command lengthy deals like local players. Actual overseas players have only a fleeting involvement with counties in 98% of cases, as well as other commitments abroad, be that internationals, family, etc. In other words, there was no chance whatsoever that Notts would have considered Taylor worthy of a 3 year deal as an overseas player (his performance last year would vindicate this belief). Let's face it, these circumstances worked out well for Notts and Taylor. Just not Zim. Sadly. As normal.

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

I know this would have already been talked about and debated here but did Brexit have any effect on Kolpak deals ??
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

aydee

Post by aydee »

jaybro wrote:I know this would have already been talked about and debated here but did Brexit have any effect on Kolpak deals ??
Not yet, obviously. If it does change anything, it wouldn't kick in for a few years anyway. To be honest, nobody really knows, but for now, status quo.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

If Taylor doesn't get a new contract with Notts after this season, do you think he would come back to Zimbabwe given his main gripe was a lack of fixtures?
With Notts now in Division 2, I would expect Taylor to have a good season – as long as he is still enjoying county cricket — and be offered a new contract.

I think the main gripe that pushed him over the edge was his clashes with Stephen Mangongo, then the coach.

He could decide to return to Zimbabwean cricket after the next English season, if he can be satisfied it is being run well and there is plenty of international cricket, but really I have no idea what his thinking might be right now as I have no contact with him.

I think there will be certain people in Zimbabwe cricket, Heath Steak and others, who will be in contact and will encourage him to return, so we can only wait and see which way he will hop.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

jaybro
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by jaybro »

aydee wrote:
jaybro wrote:I know this would have already been talked about and debated here but did Brexit have any effect on Kolpak deals ??
Not yet, obviously. If it does change anything, it wouldn't kick in for a few years anyway. To be honest, nobody really knows, but for now, status quo.

Thanks mate
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

Googly

Post by Googly »

Are the players going to be paid in bond notes?
Will the coaching staff and the ZC hierarchy be paid in bond notes?

Will the incoming ICC funds be grabbed by the Reserve Bank and be converted into bond notes?
Does the ZC have an offshore account that receives the funds prior to them sending it to a local account?
It's not going to be easy for the cash strapped ZANU to ignore an inflow of $20 million, it will be too much temptation.

My guess is Taylor would consider a return but if he doesn't get paid in Usd it's a non starter. It may also make a few people consider a move or give up cricket altogether.

What's happened to Trenchard? He brought some spice to the table and was a good batsman.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Mr Ward had the following to say regarding bond notes.

The bond notes have apparently now run out. Salaries are paid into bank accounts, from which it’s virtually impossible to retrieve them in cash. The biggest problem of ZC will be in paying out all the match expenses.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

That's temporary shortage, one only has to press "print"
There's a word for people that do the same f%%* stupid thing twice and expect a different outcome!
The shit is neck deep.

eugene

Post by eugene »

Do people even use cash for transactions anymore?