Shona/Ndebele and other player names

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
foreignfield
Supports: Mountaineers

Re: Shona/Ndebele and other player names

Post by foreignfield »

As you can tell my prior knowledge of Shona has been zero. Now it's about on par with my understanding of Chinese, that is extremely rudimentary. :) But I would have thought we have a few more members who really speak Shona, like bayhaus or gargamel

tailender

Post by tailender »

Correct shona is madhadha gumi. Makumi is used from twenty onwards when its 'makumi maviri, makumi matatu, etc.'
Success is a journey, not a destination

takleg
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by takleg »

herb wrote:'madhadha gumi' . 'madhadha makumi' is like saying 'tens ducks' . You only use makumi if its a number in the 20s or above, not for the teens. 'Kusakadza ' (verb)means 'wearing out' . Masakadza is past tense . Not so sure about Mutumbami, Mawoyo or Taibu though. As a matter of interest, how many of you speak shona? From the looks of it i wld say Takleg and Conant and maybe Jemisi. Im shona, by the way
yes kusakadza does mean "to wear out". I think I got it wrong when I said Masakadza means "to destroy". "Kuparadza" is the shona word for "to destroy". However kusakadza could still mean "to destroy" in some contexts, but it usually means is "to wear out"

And yes, herb, I understand Shona very well. However, speaking it, not so good.
Vusi, Mawoyo, H.Masakadza, Taylor, Ervine, Williams, Mutumbami, S.Masakadza, Meth, Price, Jarvis

Jemisi
Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by Jemisi »

herb wrote:'madhadha gumi' . 'madhadha makumi' is like saying 'tens ducks' . You only use makumi if its a number in the 20s or above, not for the teens. 'Kusakadza ' (verb)means 'wearing out' . Masakadza is past tense . Not so sure about Mutumbami, Mawoyo or Taibu though. As a matter of interest, how many of you speak shona? From the looks of it i wld say Takleg and Conant and maybe Jemisi. Im shona, by the way
Ndiri kuedza kudzidza chivanhu asi ndine still crap! I've got about 400 words. Enough for greetings, names, shopping, blessings, but not for deep cricket conversations.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Once scored a whopping 4% in a Shona exam. Languages are not my thing (I also have failed attempts to learn Afrikaans, German and Japanese under my belt...). Know an insult or two but that's about it.

Can't deny this thread is rather interesting, though - origins of words and names are fascinating. So carry on... :D

(And since it's related to players' names, it's on-topic for this section - sorry, Doggy!)

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

I just stumbled over this:

Bhasikoro apparently means "Bicycle".

Kudakwashe Denga Bhasikoro -> God's will Heaven Bicycle

Rhinos could have a bicycle and a buffaloe (Nyathi/nyati?) bowling in tadem later on today :D

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Neville Madziva -> lakes

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Mupunga -> rice

Mufudza -> in (into) shepherd

Maruma -> You bit

http://vashona.com/translator/

auszim

Post by auszim »

If u want to know any other let me know. I speak shona n hv lots of friends that speak ndebele as well.

Happy to help.

foreignfield

Post by foreignfield »

Family names so far:

Bhasikoro -> bicycle
Garwe -> crocodile.
Hondo -> war
Hove -> fish
Jongwe -> rooster
Kaia -> It was kua -> kua meaning: to (at) him (her)
Kondo -> hammerhead (or bagworm)
Madondo -> bushes.
Madziva -> lakes
Masakadza -> "you have worn out"/"you have destroyed" or something along those lines.
Maruma -> from "kuruma" a verb which means "to bite". So "maruma" literally translates to "you have bitten"
Matambanadzo -> "kutamba" means "to play" so matambanadzo means "you(plural you) have played with...(an unspecified object)"
Mufudza -> in (into) shepherd
Mujuru -> mound
Mupunga -> rice
Njanji -> rail (or railways)
Nyathi -> buffalo
Tiripano -> We're here
Watambwa-> You have been played or tricked.

Chigumbura- this is a tough one. "Kugumbura" means "to p*ss someone off", so I'm guessing it means "p*ss them off". I'm not so sure on this one someone will have to help me out here.
Last edited by foreignfield on Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.