Match Thread: Pakistan v Zimbabwe, 1st ODI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread: Pakistan v Zimbabwe, 1st ODI

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Kopje wrote:How many half centuries do we need to break the record?
Just one I believe, so if Williams gets his, that is the record.

Yes that was a great 6!

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:
Kopje wrote:How many half centuries do we need to break the record?
Just one I believe, so if Williams gets his, that is the record.

Yes that was a great 6!

I think we will get it! Better luck in the 2nd ODI, this one i will take it as a warm up.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

And that's the record! Good 50 for Williams. His ODI average is now 29.12, the previous highest in the team was Brendan Taylor's (28.00).

Disappointing match, we have to treat it as a warm up really. To be honest, 243 isn't a terrible score. It's respectable, one of the gooses in the commentary box says he would have preferred Zimbabwe went for the slog and got out for 180 rather than 7 down for 240 or so. Yeah, right, I bet the players will get a lot of confidence about being bowled all out :roll:

Sibanda, Chibhabha and Williams all scored in the 50's. Williams really is a class act (even though his runs came against the quality spin of Misbah-ul-Haq and Younis Khan).

Oh well, they have to improve for the next match. Commentators included. :mrgreen:

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Vusi Sibanda won something. Most boundaries I think.

Did anyone catch how many thousand dollars he got?

Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic)
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Dr_Situ(ZimFanatic) »

The players who made the WR

Nasir Jamshed 61
Younis Khan 79
Mohammad Yousuf 72
Shoaib Malik 63
Misbah-ul-haq 55*
Vusi Sibanda 59
C Chibhabha 52
S Williams 52*
Zim Rules
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Satendra Singh, Delhi, India
Twitter: @drsitu

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

A disappointing result but, to be fair, considerng the gulf in experience between the two sides 243-7 is not a bad score.

The main difference seems to be the control that Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik had over the batsmen, if one or two Zim bowlers had managed to keep the scoring under control then it could have been a much closer contest.

Gary Brent may well have been able to control the run rate and I am still at a loss as to why Tawanda Mupariwa can't get a game. He is 3rd only to Brent and Prosper Utseya in the number of ODI wickets taken of the current players available and I always thought he was considered better than Christopher Mpofu.

Hopefully every game played is a lesson learned and they can make the 2nd game a lot closer.

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Vusi Sibanda won something. Most boundaries I think.

Did anyone catch how many thousand dollars he got?

I am not sure, i think i heared something like 11,000 (correct me if i am wrong)

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Train Driver wrote:A disappointing result but, to be fair, considerng the gulf in experience between the two sides 243-7 is not a bad score.

The main difference seems to be the control that Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik had over the batsmen, if one or two Zim bowlers had managed to keep the scoring under control then it could have been a much closer contest.

Gary Brent may well have been able to control the run rate and I am still at a loss as to why Tawanda Mupariwa can't get a game. He is 3rd only to Brent and Prosper Utseya in the number of ODI wickets taken of the current players available and I always thought he was considered better than Christopher Mpofu.

Hopefully every game played is a lesson learned and they can make the 2nd game a lot closer.
To be honest, I think Mpofu is better than Mupariwa. I think with the right training, he has the ability to become a real spearhead bowler. If he could become like Chigumbura, that would be perfect.

As you said, 7/243 isn't bad. Especially considering Zim don't often play on Asian pitches.

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Watched the Zim innings yesterday. The target was too much, but the firworks by Sibanda, grafty knock of Chibhabha and the elegence of Williams stole the show. Somebody as accomplished and talented as Williams cannot bat at no.6. He must be getting the maximum number of overs as he is the most talented Zimbabwean batsman. No.3 or 4 would be great. He never looked like getting out yesterday. A solid knock.

My batting order for next match would be:

Vusi Sibanda
Brendan Taylor
Chamu Chibhabha
Sean Williams
Tatenda Taibu
Hamilton Masakadza
Prosper Utseya
Elton Chigumbura
Gary Brent
Raymond Price
Chris Mpofu

If the opening partnership is a fairly big one (say 70-80), then I would promote Williams to 3.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

CrimsonAvenger wrote:Watched the Zim innings yesterday. The target was too much, but the firworks by Sibanda, grafty knock of Chibhabha and the elegence of Williams stole the show. Somebody as accomplished and talented as Williams cannot bat at no.6. He must be getting the maximum number of overs as he is the most talented Zimbabwean batsman. No.3 or 4 would be great. He never looked like getting out yesterday. A solid knock.

My batting order for next match would be:

Vusi Sibanda
Brendan Taylor
Chamu Chibhabha
Sean Williams
Tatenda Taibu
Hamilton Masakadza
Prosper Utseya
Elton Chigumbura
Gary Brent
Raymond Price
Chris Mpofu

If the opening partnership is a fairly big one (say 70-80), then I would promote Williams to 3.
I agree with that lineup. Depending on the situation, you might want to play Chigumbura at 7 though. Utseya is technically quite a good batsman, he should bat at 4 in the FC games.

I'm not really sure what Matsikenyeri was doing in the team yesterday, he looks horrible at ODI level. I'm wondering if it is a psychological thing after failing to secure the win against Ireland at the WC. He needs to be relegated to the Zimbabwe A team for a year or two, just to get confidence if nothing else.