ZC announce major restructure: Mhishi Committee

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Marshmallow

Re: ZC announce major restructure: Mhishi Committee

Post by Marshmallow »

55727835 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:46 am
just saw a post on some dodgy sports outlet that A. Flower has been approached to coach? does anyone have info on this? shrugging it off as clickbait otherwise
Adam theo's April fool joke :lol:

kudet
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by kudet »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYB6z4Zdg1w&t=729s

unrelated but i thought this documentaryby brian goredema about the dilapidated cricket infrastructure could be an eye opener to a lost heritage that could have been tapped into in the quest to produce cricketers.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Thanks for posting. I loved the segment on Gweru and the interview with the coach and the youngster playing.
It was overgrown wasteland until about 3 years ago when 3-4 local cricket lovers clubbed together and have renovated the ground themselves, by hand, voluntarily. They still cut the grass themselves, prepare the pitch, paint the clubhouse and coach some youngsters - boys and girls. The ground is decent enough for the Midlands League to now play there weekly. Unfortunately water is a huge challenge as always. It's a shame there aren't more dedicated volunteers like this around the country. Also, of course, after all that effort the city council is now trying to forcibly evict the club to build new housing in place of the sports club. Sigh.

The one in that video that really breaks my heart personally in Kwekwe Queen's. Absolutely tragic. That was an amazing place - so much of my young life was spent there. There is no way back from it's current state. I knew what had happened there but seeing those pictures has really upset me.
Last edited by secretzimbo on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kudet

Post by kudet »

The Gweru part was quite interesting, heard about how they started and the battles with the land barons who were eying that land, but what really struck me was that the girl couldn’t even name one female cricketer in Zimbabwe after Brian asked her if she knew any. Surely the powers that be need to do a lot better in as far as spreading the game is concerned

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Matsi is the head coach for the Bangladesh series :lol:

Crastle_cog

Post by Crastle_cog »

Can't be surprised if it turns out that Kriterion's the one who is throwing orders left, right and centre at ZC :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

I know I'm in the minority, but I believe Matsi is a really decent coach. The players say good things about him. Unfortunately our players need a talisman because they have zero self belief.

We've had loads of coaches over the years and only Houghton has stemmed the bleeding for any length of time.
It's the system that's broken.

I find it hard to believe Makoni that they've had a big response to the vacancy.
Ideally they need a renowned coach and if in fact they are talking to anyone of that calibre they will know exactly what the problems are, the main one being interfence, particularly in selection processes, but guys here are also good at undermining people and basically hamstringing and isolating them.
If they are talking to someone in particular that person is either ending a prior commitment (IPL?) or if they have any sense they'll be wanting their own people around them. That would be a big commitment from ZC if they're also having to stump up for an outside batting and bowling coach.

What I have heard from a number of sources is that they're also looking at bringing in outsiders for franchise coaching slots. Again I'm skeptical. Now ZC are talking really big money for 5 coaching spots. Mr H is supposed to be bringing coaches up to speed. Are they saying our coaches are uncoachable? I'd have to say most have a very low ceiling.
If that's the case then there's going to be more sideways movements because some of the incumbents are related and they're not going anywhere in the family business.
I also don't see 5 white franchise coaches being employed either, that will cause massive problems. Assimilation and integration is work in progress and literally only skin deep. Does that mean they'll look South of the border? Those black guys there are like oil and water with us. We just don't get on. I don't see that working, but it is a cheap option because they'll be grateful for the USD.

Once again they've missed the boat by not hanging onto DH and GB in coaching roles. Both top tier, live here, know the ropes and are old school, take no shit type of guys.
They're the absolute Acid Test for me, If those two don't wish to engage or if ZC are overlooking them it's basically all still window dressing and all the existing problems are being more carefully hidden.

I want to know what cushy job Masakadza is going to be given next. 10 players could probably live off his salary.
Is Mutendira still going to be the convener? He's the third least accountable person in ZC. Been fucking it up for years and hangs onto his day job by pulling that trusty card with regularity.

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

Pretty evident that they are struggling to find good nominations. It has been a long time since ZC advertised for a HC position and there aren't even rumours about anyone being in talks.

They might as well have handed it back to Houghton.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Maybe..
I'd like to think it's someone good driving a hard bargain or seeing out an existing contract.
Take someone like Flower for example, he would negotiate to have nobody in his wheel house that can interfere, undermine or cause him problems. Total control.
That will be a 3 month discussion and ZC will be wringing their hands :lol:

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

zimbos_05 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:45 am
All of these recommendations are the bare minimum and do not really change anything because the people in charge of enacting these changes are the same ones who have been screwing up everything.
When does the Ipl season ends, maybe one of those coaches