Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
jw2
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Post by jw2 »

Yorker wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:47 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:51 pm
Durham land in the country on Monday for three weeks. They will play two 3 day games against a Zimbabwe "A" side and them play in the round robin domestic T20 competition.

I think each side plays each other once then the finals/qualifier.

Very interested to see the make up of the Zimbabwe "A" side. Hope it reflects the guys who have done well this season and who are on the fringes of the national side.
Does anybody know the year county sides started visiting Zim during their off season?
Since 1980/81, on and off! First season after 'independence', Middlesex and Leicestershire came, three matches each against the national side.

jw2

Post by jw2 »

Actually, I forgot, Surrey were here late fifties, Worcestershire 1964/65,

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

Donald wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:59 pm
Ainsley you fkin hero 😃😃😃😃
With Ainsley Ndlovu , Wellington M has completion again..

Donald

Post by Donald »

Ali hamid has to come in for next match. I mean he has a first class average of almost 50, 3 100's in past 5 games. Not sure what they see anymore in marumani.

The biggest prize out of the last batch of under 19s is Dion Myers. Give him a good run and he will pay back with interest of that im sure. Hopefully in summer 2024.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Donald wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:41 pm
Ali hamid has to come in for next match. I mean he has a first class average of almost 50, 3 100's in past 5 games. Not sure what they see anymore in marumani.

The biggest prize out of the last batch of under 19s is Dion Myers. Give him a good run and he will pay back with interest of that im sure. Hopefully in summer 2024.
If you are wanting to go off Logan Cup stats then Marumani averaged 70 this season and Hamid 48.

There's a high chance that Hamid and anyone else will have the same issues against top quality world-class opposition as Marumani and co for exactly the same reasons. You are expecting miracles from guys that are woefully underprepared for this level of cricket.

As for 'Not sure what they see in him anymore' with regards to Marumani. Jeez. :? Literally everyone and anyone who has watched the kid bat close-up knows theres a hell of a player in there somewhere. He needs some quality 1-to-1 coaching for a chunk of time and like all of our players he needs to be playing in a significantly higher quality system that will prepare him and others for international cricket.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Interesting they are playing these games with a Test-standard Kookaburra ball. Presumably Durham rightly insisted they didn’t use the $10 chikombas

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yorker wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:47 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:51 pm
Durham land in the country on Monday for three weeks. They will play two 3 day games against a Zimbabwe "A" side and them play in the round robin domestic T20 competition.

I think each side plays each other once then the finals/qualifier.

Very interested to see the make up of the Zimbabwe "A" side. Hope it reflects the guys who have done well this season and who are on the fringes of the national side.
Does anybody know the year county sides started visiting Zim during their off season?
There are some wonderful tour reports and photos on Cricinfo from those county tours in the early/mid 1980s. A great resource if you are interested in that period of time and cricket in Zimbabwe.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Googly

Post by Googly »

I believe these pre-season county tours are vital to our cricket. Its entirely probable they contributed to our improvement in the 80's and hopefully it will be the same again. We need more. No reason why more county teams shouldn't come in future. Great weather, great country.

Donald

Post by Donald »

secretzimbo wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:31 am
Donald wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:41 pm

If you are wanting to go off Logan Cup stats then Marumani averaged 70 this season and Hamid 48.

There's a high chance that Hamid and anyone else will have the same issues against top quality world-class opposition as Marumani and co for exactly the same reasons. You are expecting miracles from guys that are woefully underprepared for this level of cricket.

As for 'Not sure what they see in him anymore' with regards to Marumani. Jeez. :? Literally everyone and anyone who has watched the kid bat close-up knows theres a hell of a player in there somewhere. He needs some quality 1-to-1 coaching for a chunk of time and like all of our players he needs to be playing in a significantly higher quality system that will prepare him and others for international cricket.
Jeez there is lots of bile this morning.
Somebody has woken up on wrong side of bed.
I'm not expecting miracles from anyone just think that Marumani has had lots of chances and maybe it was time to put in someone like Ali Hamid who may have more of a ceiling.
I have seen Marumani in full flow and when he connects he is a joy to watch. We can't discount the amount of chances that he has had comparable to other players.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

100 % he's had more chances than others get that's for sure .