Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Durham tour of Zimbabwe

Post by Googly »

We've seen every time there's a bit of rain the pitches in Harare become really tricky, even if they get the covers on in time.
Mpofu and Makoni will do well to survive the first ten overs.
New Kookie on a tricky pitch is not easy.
If they want to have a look at Makoni then surely drop Mpofu? A blind man can see Welch is the better of the two.
One ends up wanting people to fail when they do stuff like this, and I hate that feeling. I wish no ill of players 99.999999% of the time. If Makoni wants half a chance at a genuine career he should use his considerable influence to bat middle order, it's a lot easier.
He's actually not a bad bat to be fair.

You'd think the Indians would have produced a knock-off Kookaburra by now for 5 bucks. I can't think of any piece of sporting equipment that costs 80 bucks and basically lasts for 45 minutes. Use the same cork, the same string, the same stitching and the same leather, how hard can it be?

Donald

Post by Donald »

Googly wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 pm
We've seen every time there's a bit of rain the pitches in Harare become really tricky, even if they get the covers on in time.
If they want to have a look at Makoni then surely drop Mpofu? A blind man can see Welch is the better of the two.
One ends up wanting people to fail when they do stuff like this, and I hate that feeling. I wish no ill of players 99.999999% of the time. If Makoni wants half a chance at a genuine career he should use his considerable influence to bat middle order, it's a lot easier.

You'd think the Indians would have produced a knock-off Kookaburra by now for 5 bucks. I can't think of any piece of sporting equipment that costs 80 bucks and basically lasts for 45 minutes. Use the same cork, the same string, the same stitching and the same leather, how hard can it be?
Yes agreed. This is like a massive subplot to the Zimbabwe cricket saga where we see good potential players get screwed over and almost almost hope the inferior players fail.
Not a great feeling

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Hamid is one who is hiding down the order when he shouldn't be. Has long been an opener in school and then in senior club/NPL cricket and he is pretty good against pace and the new ball. He's hiding.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Absolutely. He doesn't bowl and the middle lower order is for all-rounders and keepers. Spin was always his Achilles heel but he's improved.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Someone has to bat down the order.

Hamid has got most of his logan cup runs batting down order so don't see what issue is.
Welch and Gumbie would make a great future opening partnership but that won't happen. The long rope is given to the special ones.

Googly

Post by Googly »

In our set up anyone past 4 has to bowl as well.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Jack of all trades and a master of none. Would rather players choose a path. Burl needs to focus on one more than the other as useful as it is to have all rounders.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

Donald wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:52 pm
Googly wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 pm

Yes agreed. This is like a massive subplot to the Zimbabwe cricket saga where we see good potential players get screwed over and almost almost hope the inferior players fail.
Not a great feeling
I absolutely hope the inferior players fail. Forget about coaching , fascilities, academies etc . Zim cricket will never improve because of the corrupt selection process it's as simple as that.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

If I was Matty Welch I'd be absolutely fuming. The selection of Mpofu and Makoni over him baffle me, as I've already said. Thinking of longevity and an opportunity to develop these boys against good bowling should have been a major thought process when selecting this side.

Does anybody know why Dane and Jayden Schadendorff stopped getting selected for the mountaineers by the way?

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

sloandog wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:15 am
If I was Matty Welch I'd be absolutely fuming. The selection of Mpofu and Makoni over him baffle me, as I've already said. Thinking of longevity and an opportunity to develop these boys against good bowling should have been a major thought process when selecting this side.

Does anybody know why Dane and Jayden Schadendorff stopped getting selected for the mountaineers by the way?
Think Dane was injured. Jayden has been at the Rocks, to be honest he just hasn't shown that he is good enough in what has been a strong Rocks batting line up.