In the wings

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
sloandog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

In the wings

Post by sloandog »

Followed silently from the sideline of late, especially the Logan Cup.

I'm curious now who should be realistically ear marked for the national side in our next series. We don't have a great deal of cricket to look forward to when looming at the FTP, and the fact we are going to be playing a lot of T20 cricket is sometbing we need to consider.

For me, I've been extremely impressed with Johnny Campbell. His consistency in scoring hundreds (something Houghton said our players should be doing domestically) has what's made him stand out. His direct competition is Ryan Burl and if I'm honest, I wouldn't be against a swap. It would send a rocket up Burls ass and make him probably pay more attention to his bowling, which has slipped dramatically.

Brian Bennett looks like he has the mental capacity to succeed but I'm still unsure on his technique. I feel a rapid bowler or a bit of analysis from a big side would figure out that he loves the off side. Still, its great to see him doing so well and scoring daddy hundreds.

You've then get the welch brothers with the bat, chari too has had a great season and Tony Munyonga is somebody i really rate.

I'm just very wary of throwing matty welch into the lions den as he's clearly got as much natural talent as anybody we have at the moment. Brother Nick is in the same bracket, although his scores haven't ammased to much. I agree though, that he's a dangerous white ball player. I watched him against Lancashire in a County 2's game and I was just gob smacked at how ferocious he was, especially against Liam Hurt

Donald

Re: In the wings

Post by Donald »

Don't forget Ali Hamid as well and Dion myers who should be back in summer 😃😃😃.

Future is looking brighter.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Sorry for repeating myself for the 10,000th time but there is absolutely no realistic chance of this current group of talented youngsters doing any better than the previous group of talented youngsters unless there are vast structural changes in our system at every level.

sloandog

Post by sloandog »

secretzimbo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:16 am
Sorry for repeating myself for the 10,000th time but there is absolutely no realistic chance of this current group of talented youngsters doing any better than the previous group of talented youngsters unless there are vast structural changes in our system at every level.
Yea I know that (sadly), but I'm more posting this out of curiosity as to who the next player or two would be.
It's such a shame that they have all the natural talent to succeed, yet as a nation we have such little expertise in coaching. I hope we manage to hold onto Dave Houghton. He's an absolute diamond in an unprecedented rough right now and could make a huge difference structurally.

Googly

Post by Googly »

There's a massive difference between batting 1-3 and middle lower order. Its a different game completely.
Granted middle order you now have to focus on the scoreline, a couple more boundary riders, but the ball is easier to deal with.
1-3 against the new ball and a good attack is different gravy.
Durham is in 3 days time. If they're serious they'd have someone like Houghton or Taylor working with the young batters for the next 3 days, particularly the top order, but I doubt that's happening. They're going to go in cold against a serious bowling attack and of course they're not ready. They may well have Carse running in at 90 clicks. Maybe someone should at least warn them to wear a chest guard :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

The message on the group should read- look we've been a bit slack but come on Thursday with a gum guard, a chest guard, elbow guard and make sure your medical is paid up.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Small mercies that Mark Wood is still with England test squad and stokes ain't playing.

Nah man we should revel in playing quality players like carse. Do reasonably well against them and you are a shoe in for zimbabwe side 😄😄.

Donald

Post by Donald »

Scott Boland is durhams overseas player for first half of season.

Liam trevaski the really tidy bowler for Durham has left to go to leistershire

andrea lanzoni

Post by andrea lanzoni »

Pardon my question from an outsider living some thousands kilometres away.

Until last year I saw in the national squad a promising lad named Brad Evans.

Then he apparently got injured. After that I haven't seen him playing in the national squad for several months.

What is he doing now?

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Injury rehab. Outside chance of playing the domestic T20’s in a couple of weeks apparently.