Africa Games squad

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Andy31
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Africa Games squad

Post by Andy31 »

So is the above squad for those African matches or just those under 25 matches.

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

South African squad is similarly inexperienced

Dylan Bester (UFS), Hardus Coetzer (NWU), Lehan Botha (SU), Ethan Frosler (NMU), Maahir Joseph (SU), Raps Motlhoaring (CUT), Lifa Ntanzi (UJ), Mini Ntobela (NWU), Heinrigh Pieterse (NWU), Jesse Prodehl (UWC), Jason Raubenheimer (CUT), Nathan Roux (UFS), Lwando Tywaku (UWC), George van Heerden (Captain) (SU) and Aphiwe Yako (UP)

via CSA website

Both countries are prioritizing their domestic cricket ahead of playing the likes of Ghana, Nigeria and Tanzania, which is fair enough. Although I feel we could see Uganda win this if they send their full squad.

Googly

Post by Googly »

secretzimbo wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 am
zimfan1 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:41 pm
Zim U25 team in South Africa: Rodney Mufudza (C), Tawanda Maphosa, Tashinga Makoni, Ashley Mufandauya, Tashinga Musekiwa, Spencer Magodo, Aisha Chibanda, Chris Masike, Prosper Mugeri, Arinesto Vezha, Wallace Mubaiwa, Tony Munyonga, Owen Muzondo, Christopher Masike, Kuda Macheke.
Oh the app was wrong then!

That’s a poor squad.

Tashinga Makoni ffs. I mean really
Which of the Makoni lads is the better one?
One in this squad and one in the Zim A.
The best thing is to give them both a run in the Zim A and national side for 18 months and see if one of them is a Brian Lara in waiting and if not then give them top admin jobs at 20k a month. Admin is not performance based and is loaded with highly paid people answerable to nobody and nobody will mind. Why would anyone want the pressure of playing and perfoming when they can get a 30 year desk job at 20 times the pay and not even really have to go to work?
What we need are guys with potential getting exposure. We need a team that can compete as soon as.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Apparently this is the squad for the T20 Africa Games in Ghana. ZC are calling it 'Zim U25's again, despite multiple of the players not being U25 at all. Mangongo is head coach.

Clive Madande (C)
Tadiwanashe Marumani
Brian Bennett
Alex Falao
Tony Munyonga
Nick Welch
Johnathan Campbell
Owen Muzondo
Takudzwa Chataira
Trevor Gwandu
Ashley Mufandauya
Wallace Mubaiywa
Tashinga Musekiwa
Kuda Macheka
Rodney Mupfudza

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Random point but I just found myself on the ZC official website and noticed a new 'Zim cricket history quiz' and was amused to see multiple references to Rhodesia, a question advertising the black arm band protests and no questions about any prominent black players or recent 'success' by our current overlords. ZC outsource their website to a cricket blog company in India and it shows :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

Really don't get why Nick Welch is there. Granted he's had a shit red ball season, but if this is where he's at in their plans he'd have been better off staying in UK, he's a serious cricketer.
Plus either he or Campbell should be captain, they are very very knowledgeable.
Theyre going with one opener from what I can see :lol:

Googly

Post by Googly »

It's time they looked at Curran as well.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

It's T20 so Marumani is probably considered an opener. Along with Mufandauya and N Welch in this format?
Mupfudza has only ever played 1 official T20 match in his life, 3 years ago, but that was as an opener.

Googly

Post by Googly »

Why would they not select Matt Welch and Ali Hamed?

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Googly wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:37 pm
Really don't get why Nick Welch is there. Granted he's had a shit red ball season, but if this is where he's at in their plans he'd have been better off staying in UK, he's a serious cricketer.
Plus either he or Campbell should be captain, they are very very knowledgeable.
Theyre going with one opener from what I can see :lol:
I actually think this is a perfect opportunity for Nick Welch to show he is better than the rest. It’s a good opportunity for all of them.