African games Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Re: African games Zimbabwe vs Namibia

Post by zimfan1 »

Most important thing about today. We had players called Wallace and Rodney playing for Zimbabwe, amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:51 pm
Most important thing about today. We had players called Wallace and Rodney playing for Zimbabwe, amazing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't forget Brian, Clive, Tony and Trevor too. Sounds like a 1970's England line-up.

secretzimbo

Post by secretzimbo »

Bertus de Jong wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:14 pm
Howdy all, a rare post from me here as this is very much in my wheelhouse.

The rankings qualifying contest is very much a five-horse race as it stands. Important to remember there's a May 1 rollover happening before the WC too which will shake things up a bit, most significantly bringing the Dutch into the race. All five of the teams involved are, to the best of my knowledge, currently utterly oblivious to the situation. Namibia and Zimbabwe especially have made what is on the face of it a baffling blunder sending development squads to this ongoing tournament, which would otherwise have been an absolute godsend in terms of rankings-boosting. The other three teams have a tri-series scheduled in May, and any of the three dominating that could also put them in a very strong position ahead of the WC.

Zimbabwe's particular position is somewhat precarious, but if you get through this tournament with just one loss or fewer could be in with a decent shout. The Bangladesh series is an (almost certainly accidental) smart play IMO. ZIM will likely only need to win one of five to break even on rankings, anything more a potentially decisive bonus. A sweep of remaining scheduled matches would get you over 200 and odds-on for direct qualification, but even 3rd at the AGs and 2-3 loss to Bangladesh would leave you at 194-5ish, and in with a real shot.

Still lots of relevant cricket to be played of course, and fairly sure the May 1 refresh will take a point two off ZIM, but very much in the hunt right now.
Great post, thank you!

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:01 pm
zimfan1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:51 pm
Don't forget Brian, Clive, Tony and Trevor too. Sounds like a 1970's England line-up.
:lol: Back in the days when Durham were minor counties.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Really good to see young Bennett getting a good score. Kid's got talent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:48 pm
Maybe Welch in for Marumani as a straight swap.

Balance of the team was perfect. It’s a great batting deck and boundary sizes so we need multiple bowling options.
Nelson wrong, as always.
Death, taxes, etc.

mnelson68

Post by mnelson68 »

mnelson68 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:42 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:48 pm
Maybe Welch in for Marumani as a straight swap.

Balance of the team was perfect. It’s a great batting deck and boundary sizes so we need multiple bowling options.
Nelson wrong, as always.
Death, taxes, etc.
There are already multiple bowling options , they have Campbell and Bennett that didn't even bowl. Set up for disaster just like the qualifiers 🤣

pillowprocter

Post by pillowprocter »

Bertus de Jong wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:14 pm
Kriterion_BD wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:44 pm
Donald wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:11 pm
We are now ahead of namibia in rankings.

Be good to beat Uganda and also South africa should we meet. Couple of wins against Bangladesh in May will seal us automatic qualification hopefully for 2016 World cup.
Namibia and Scotland are right at your heels. If Namibia were ahead, 1 game will only put them marginally behind.

It all comes down to who wins more games in the warm ups for the WC and then in the actual WC itself. if Namibia upsets just one of the top 10 teams they will go back on top. Then there is Scotland who's always there and about an upset.

The Irish looking at the moment for a series win vs Afghanistan which will net them a few important points towards auto-qualification.
Howdy all, a rare post from me here as this is very much in my wheelhouse.

The rankings qualifying contest is very much a five-horse race as it stands. Important to remember there's a May 1 rollover happening before the WC too which will shake things up a bit, most significantly bringing the Dutch into the race. All five of the teams involved are, to the best of my knowledge, currently utterly oblivious to the situation. Namibia and Zimbabwe especially have made what is on the face of it a baffling blunder sending development squads to this ongoing tournament, which would otherwise have been an absolute godsend in terms of rankings-boosting. The other three teams have a tri-series scheduled in May, and any of the three dominating that could also put them in a very strong position ahead of the WC.

Zimbabwe's particular position is somewhat precarious, but if you get through this tournament with just one loss or fewer could be in with a decent shout. The Bangladesh series is an (almost certainly accidental) smart play IMO. ZIM will likely only need to win one of five to break even on rankings, anything more a potentially decisive bonus. A sweep of remaining scheduled matches would get you over 200 and odds-on for direct qualification, but even 3rd at the AGs and 2-3 loss to Bangladesh would leave you at 194-5ish, and in with a real shot.

Still lots of relevant cricket to be played of course, and fairly sure the May 1 refresh will take a point two off ZIM, but very much in the hunt right now.
Thanks for the info

Googly

Post by Googly »

The baffling blunder part is weird.
Is it possible that ZC and Namibia 0 didn't realise the importance of this tournament? That would be a huge oversight.
It's going to make the Uganda and SA games very interesting.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Yes it is very interesting. To be honest I don’t think anybody picked it up. We need to beat Uganda at all costs and push the South Africans. The game between SA and Uganda will tell us what we need to know about both sides.

Now with so much on the line will Raza play against Bangladesh? I have my doubts. I still think we can win a game or 2 against them.