Zimbabwe Players Unhappy with Mangongo

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Zimbabwe Players Unhappy with Mangongo

Post by zimfan1 »

. "We have eight other bowlers so I am not worried about who comes in or who goes out; we have heavy competition in the bowling department," he said. "There are not vast differences between the bowlers we have. We are not going to be missing Dale Steyn. Tinashe conceded more runs in Harare than he did in Bulawayo."

While some of the bowlers Mangongo referred to are already in the XI, the other options to replace Panyangara are uncapped Cuthburt Musoko, teenager Luke Jongwe, Neville Madziva, who made his debut last week or Shingi Masakadza and Brian Vitori, who are both struggling for form. Even that reality does not bother Mangongo. "We are a work in progress and we are playing against the big operators in world cricket. We are determined to improve so that is what we are working on," he said. "And we are working very hard."

Zimbabwe had a rest day on Tuesday but four members of the squad reported to practice, which Mangongo took as a sign of their commitment. "Brendan Taylor was at the head of that group so that was pleasing to see," Mangongo said. "Everybody is working hard and trying to improve. We cannot fold our arms and do nothing; if we do that, we are not doing our jobs."

Mangongo's sunshine outlook is overshadowed by the mood in the team camp. Insiders have revealed morale is floundering and the unhappiness with Mangongo's strict methods growing. "He is abusing his power beyond comprehension," an insider said. "There is every chance the players will protest at some stage but for now, they are just waiting to see whether anything will change."
Looks like the wheels are starting to turn, wonder if any of Mangongos boys will be brave enough to lead the revolt

jaybro

Re: Zimbabwe Players Unhappy with Mangongo

Post by jaybro »

This hasn't taken long has it .....

The sad thing is SM seems very strict and likes discipline which is good, but he also seems to be a physicopath with the things he does ......

I wonder what Conat and Hhm think .....
Chairman of the Neville Madziva fan Club

Originator of the #mumbamania movement

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Not speaking for Conant and HHM (HHM being a sh*t stirrer and Conant being pretty intelligent) but what i find in general with zimbabwean black people is they will support people of their colour for a long time before getting fed up. They get a few extra chances and a few free passes but i think that cats on its 9th life.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Xlife
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Xlife »

jaybro wrote:This hasn't taken long has it .....

The sad thing is SM seems very strict and likes discipline which is good, but he also seems to be a physicopath with the things he does ......

There you go again Zimdoggy, banging on about race... Can you even go a month without mentioning colour? People like you that see everything literally as black or white are what's wrong with this country and the world in general.

zimbos_05

Post by zimbos_05 »

This may not be the thread, but i thought i would just post it here as i didnt want to create a new thread, and felt it was more relevant here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2xv9N3DKsE

I think it is rather telling that this was after the T20, yet Waller was nowhere in sight. It was clear that Mangongo was probably the one calling the shots. He doesn't fill me with much confidence in the way he speaks. His body language as well when he is coaching the players in the nets is rather weak, useless. His technique is atrocious.

Also more telling is the players. Viljoen speaks volumes when he talks about the players desire, passion, and commitment. Taylor has always had it. Always spoke properly, put in the extra effort, and loved what he does. The others just dont seem to be the same. They just play because they feel they have no choice, collect their pay check, if their is one, then bugger off.

ZIMDOGGY

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

Xlife wrote:
jaybro wrote:This hasn't taken long has it .....

There you go again Zimdoggy, banging on about race... Can you even go a month without mentioning colour? People like you that see everything literally as black or white are what's wrong with this country and the world in general.

Aaaah beware tha dogg!

But seriously you brought up the same point I just did.
Except I'm pointing out how black zimbos do it.
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Conant
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by Conant »

ZIMDOGGY wrote:Not speaking for Conant and HHM (HHM being a sh*t stirrer and Conant being pretty intelligent) but what i find in general with zimbabwean black people is they will support people of their colour for a long time before getting fed up. They get a few extra chances and a few free passes but i think that cats on its 9th life.
I found that the white okes here pretty much turned a blind eye to Alan Butcher useless tenure as coach here; in fact if ever Zimbabwe were at its lowest ebb, it was when the Englishman was in charge. I painfully remember our total crush to ignominy in the T20 World Cup in West Indes four years ago. Butcher! Couldn't even lead off the field. Mangongo should never have been replaved as coach after that Bangladesh tour while we were waited for Waller.

We could have led with continuity and some bold decision making but the much (perhaps rightly maligned) ZC executive was to busy trying to be politically correct and getting a white man as coach to do the right thing: elevate Mangongo!

With due course they realised Snr Waller shortcomings with player discipline and rightly given him alternative work. Has anybody not noticed Zimbabwe excellent work on the field in the last month or are we all too blind to see?

Zimdoggy is right about: I have defended Mangongo from the word go and will continue to do so: there is nothing to suggest any worse than the pretenders we have employed in the past. However this has nothing to do with race, even as I despair with his own inate (sometimes obvious) prejudices.

Fellow Forumers will note how I have been Malcom Waller's number one fan, up until he couldn't buy a run from his granny's tuckshop by the last three tours. Even today, I thought it would be one of those days when Waller Jnr would seize the game by the scruff of the neck and win our love back. Target 232, 6 wickets in hand: easy!

Much work awaits us and all of it has to do with batting. Grant Flowers dogged work and direction with the batters is much missed and sadly, all fault and egg throwing will be directed at Mangongo who is otherwise an excellent manager. More is the pity.

jimmylesaint
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by jimmylesaint »

Hmm not sure
Has anybody not noticed Zimbabwe excellent work on the field in the last month or are we all too blind to see?
i have. Perhaps they have improved from very poor to poor, but still poor in my eyes.Though most is to do with fitness .
I spoke regularly with Alan Butcher and he was expected to work miracles with tissue paper and chicken wire as back up. ZC gave him little to nothing in support. I agree that to have an Englishman in charge is bordering on smacking my head against the wall when we have the quality of Flowers/Fletcher/Strangs etc etc etc
Let's just hope Mangongo is given what he asks for and may he and the ZC admin be the first to cut their wages or work for free before they expect us players to dig into our nationalism.

I agree Mangongo should have been raised to Head before Waller came in. This would have given him a chance to prove himself or fail. I worry about the stress of the job and how it will affect his health. Especially since he has no first hand knowledge of stress and pressure of making a national side and staying in it, let alone trying to manage 15 stress balls. I still feel he has been set up to fail- if so they must replace him at the latest October but better still he should see the world cup through as i am sure he would want that knowledge of tenure(hope he can understand this, and empathise with his players who seem to face the knife daily-it sucks morale like a hooker with no teeth on an empty stomach.)