Zimbabwe tour of Bangladesh 2024 | Pre series discussion

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Zimbabwe tour of Bangladesh 2024 | Pre series discussion

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Now that the ZIM side has officially been declared its a good time to start discussing specifics. Firstly, its gonna be a toughish tour with the heat in Bangladesh this time of year. This week in Dhaka as the DPL List A tournament is going on, scorching temperatures are topping out in the low 40s. Used to never be this hot in Bangladesh. Northern India and Pakistan surely, but not in Bangladesh.

My series prediction is not straightforward. My heart says 4-1 to Bangladesh, but my brain says 3-2. Either way, I think the series is going to be very close and will be decided by small margins.

My take on the ZIM squad:

Obviously it begins and ends with Raza. He will be captaining, he'll be relied on with bat and ball, and needed in the field as well. Next biggest wicket is Williams of course. I would actually stick Willy and Raza at 3 and 4 in the T20 lineup, because you want your best batters to face the most balls in all formats, and especially so in T20. I would put Bennet at 5 as I think he's got a load of potential. Ngarava is the spearhead now, and did very well in the BPL this past season, so he will be licking his lips to bowl here. Blessing is clearly the next best seamer and can win a match on his day. I think the spin department is the weakest part, but perhaps they will enjoy bowling in subcontinent conditions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Re: Zimbabwe tour of Bangladesh 2024 | Pre series discussion

Post by TapsC2 »

I was also thinking that Raza might be better playing up the order. I think for his career to reach the absolute peak he also needs to bat higher up. Raza in a powerplay can win us at least 1 game alone. We have to back the other guys to do ok if he gets out early.

I hope they try out different combinations but I’m hoping for something like this

Ervine
Bennett
Raza
Williams
Burl
Campbell
Madande
Jongwe
Wellington
Ngarava
Blessing

2 wins should be our minimum target

Donald

Post by Donald »

That's a very competent looking side.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Competent looking on paper, sadly the game is played on grass.

Mueddie28

Post by Mueddie28 »

TapsC2 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:30 pm
I was also thinking that Raza might be better playing up the order. I think for his career to reach the absolute peak he also needs to bat higher up. Raza in a powerplay can win us at least 1 game alone. We have to back the other guys to do ok if he gets out early.

I hope they try out different combinations but I’m hoping for something like this

Ervine
Bennett
Raza
Williams
Burl
Campbell
Madande
Jongwe
Wellington
Ngarava
Blessing

2 wins should be our minimum target
Marumani wk
Ervine
Bennett
Williams
Raza
Burl
Campbell / Faraz Akram
Jongwe
Wellington
Ngarava
Muzarabani

2 games for Marumani and if he is struggling Gumbie can finish the series as a opening bat..
Madande has to open or be benched, hiding him at 6 or 7 is just taking up space and forces Zimbabwe to play a bowler light..Jongwe does the job Madande is doing and if you put Campbell too we are fine..

sam_ahm

Post by sam_ahm »

On the heat part as mentioned by Kriterion, this is one of the hottest summers I've experienced in my life here in India, and I'm from Hyd which is in the southern part. It is probably the El Nino effect, most of the games I see are evening games so it should probably be a bit better by that time but yeah this has been a scorching hot summer this year in the subcontinent.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

El Niño :lol: :lol:

Always looking for excuses and blaming something you Indian guys :lol: next it will be the Pakistani’s fault.

Kriterion_BD

Post by Kriterion_BD »

Its just climate change...the new normal now. Last year was also the hottest summer in Dhaka in recent memory...similar temps in the high 30s and touching 40.

Anyone see the massive floods in Dubai last week? Hotter temps causes the atmosphere to soak up more water and drop torrential rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

sam_ahm wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm
On the heat part as mentioned by Kriterion, this is one of the hottest summers I've experienced in my life here in India, and I'm from Hyd which is in the southern part. It is probably the El Nino effect, most of the games I see are evening games so it should probably be a bit better by that time but yeah this has been a scorching hot summer this year in the subcontinent.
My family in Kolkata is having the same experience. Gosh it was 44 at one point, if it goes like this in the coming years I'll find it increasing hard to return home during the summer XD.

Crastle_cog
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Crastle_cog »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm
Its just climate change...the new normal now. Last year was also the hottest summer in Dhaka in recent memory...similar temps in the high 30s and touching 40.

Anyone see the massive floods in Dubai last week? Hotter temps causes the atmosphere to soak up more water and drop torrential rain.
The things in Dubai are more for their artificial weather meandering systems though.