Match Thread: Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 1st T20 (3rd May)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Googly

Re: Match Thread: Zimbabwe vs Bangladesh 1st T20 (3rd May)

Post by Googly »

It occurred to me that they were/are hoping Matsi has a good showing as head coach and they'll make him permanent. Not the start he or we wanted. We're no closer to even hearing a rumour who the new coach might be, if there even is one.

Unless Williams is on the slippery slope you can't compare Williams and Burl.
I know they bat in different spots, but Williams is different gravy when he's playing well.
They still need to play what they perceive is their strongest team. I wonder if there's a selector present? I think the only change will be Ndlovu for Masakadza who has a concussion. Another failure from Ervine or Burl and then we might see Maru or Campbell. Jonno will struggle against Taskin, he doesn't like pace, getting better, but he needs to work on it.

The problem in our side is 16-19 gets you another start. Bennett started well, but then got himself into trouble with the pace and swing. He's good though, let's see if he adjusts. I'm still not quite understanding how he's almost cemented the 3 spot when it's not really his format. He seems to have a really good temperament for the big stage, and that's half the battle.
Also the Bangladeshi seamers bowled particularly well against us. Seems bowlers get a lot of confidence against guys who they deem fragile.

What will be annoying is if Ervine and Williams are actually on the decline and they take up valuable games from the younger blokes. If they're in the side they need to perform fairly consistently or they're really hamstringing the players in waiting. They could conceivably chew up another 2 years and then retire, that puts us in an even more precarious position.

Gumbie looked decent- told you! He'll get a high percentage of his runs behind square.

Does anyone know why Nepal was cancelled? We so badly need more internationals. I hope ZC aren't up to their old tricks of not playing the lesser sides in case we lose.
We're likely to lose actually. Something is very wrong with our psyche and not playing is not going to fix it. We need to play as much as we can and hope a couple of guys start to get going. After this series and the likely failures we're going to see another extended run for Madhevere and Myers will get a long run as well.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Correct yo; Williams is totally different gravy. That earlier post saying he’s no great shakes is the most ludicrous thing I’ve ever read on here, my own posts excluded. He’s low key better than sikandar when he’s firing and never makes it the Williams show as befitting a murungu who knows his place.

Ya the head coach gig is a concern and seems to have been quietly swept under the carpet after they were advertising on facebook of all places :lol: :lol:

Old Ponsonby will be feeling it soon. Now Jono is sticking his hand up there is a bit of competition. He’s not quite there yet but give it a year or two and Ponsonby will be looking over his shoulder.

The suits should be honouring every fixture arranged, win or lose, who cares?! You’ve got to play to improve.

Wez :lol: he’ll be back in time.

What’s the word on old Knackerville? Barely hear about him these days. Old zubair stumped up the readies for the green mamba yet or what? Does he need to do 3 and a half years residency or whatever the ICC regulations are?

Googly

Post by Googly »

Who knows what his intentions are. They're rich and I'm sure cricket is one of many options for him. I guess he'll reappear for the NPL and then the franchise season again. He had a few mediocre innings and lost hero status. He doesn't strike me as someone who's prepared to grind, if it doesn't come easy he'll change tack, he's a good player though. If you have options ZC is not the place for you. :lol:
Theyre slippery and still incredibly poorly run, despite some positive moves recently.
This u25 drive they've got going is the right idea, but as usual they don't know how to execute.
There's a showdown coming between Mangongo and Chigumbura, hence them sending some u25's to Bulawayo and others remaining in Harare. Not sure how they allow two employees to flex like this. Neither of them bring much to the table, Mangongo edges that, he's at least the harder working of the two. The telling will be which of them takes the squad to UK. We don't have time for this, the clock is ticking.

secretzimbo
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by secretzimbo »

Naqvi was playing a Club league in Pakistan last month and I believe is now home in Australia. He’ll be back in August for the NPL I’m sure.

If he wants to do residency then it’s 3 years consecutive so as far as I understand he is now back at 0 days.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 am
Naqvi was playing a Club league in Pakistan last month and I believe is now home in Australia. He’ll be back in August for the NPL I’m sure.

If he wants to do residency then it’s 3 years consecutive so as far as I understand he is now back at 0 days.
He’s done too much to just throw it away like that, surely?

There has to be something happening in the background.

Donald

Post by Donald »

I think the post has been misunderstood.

Googly

Post by Googly »

I don't know the local residency rules, but UK basically you have to be in country for 6 months and one day to keep it going. I know of one SA cricketer that stayed one extra day in SA attending his uncle's funeral and they zeroed him.
Theyre absolute c"%&*s
If he'd paddled across the channel in a tractor tube he'd have gotten a council house and residency status on arrival.
The world has gone mad.
Europe is finished. Overrun by people hell bent on making it into the place they ran away from. It's fun and sad to watch all at the same time.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Googly wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:37 am
If he'd paddled across the channel in a tractor tube he'd have gotten a council house and residency status on arrival.
The world has gone mad.
And a red carpet rolled out with a place in the Kent team and a clear pathway to the England side established with the ECB going so far as to say he’ll play for us in 3 years despite him being average at best in the Champo right? :lol:

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Mr Twig wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 2:24 am
secretzimbo wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:03 am

He’s done too much to just throw it away like that, surely?

There has to be something happening in the background.
Ya there would be some percentage of residency I would think within a year, not like 365 days solid. So he’d still need to do the 3 year residency even if he got his green mamba in the mean time was my question I guess. Like the sudden becoming a citizen wouldn’t make him immediately eligible?

Maybe that anashes fella involved with Rhinos can give us an update on things :lol: :lol: he seems to have the lowdown.

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

To be fair they might just replace Wellington and go with the same team. We all know how these guys play. Don’t be surprised to see a masterclass by game 3 :lol:

I questioned why they played Craig and Gumbie upfront but it made sense when I saw the quality of fast bowling upfront. It was serious. It’s a game of fine margins at the highest level. Had Gumbie pulled that flick off we might have had a completely different game. Marumani wasn’t surviving that kind of bowling, Campbell would have had his work cut out too.

What we need to do is pay attention to Craig and Sean. if they are showing signs of decline then the England test has to be their last game at the very latest. It would be hurting us more than helping us if they keep playing when they won’t be good enough by 2027.