Match Thread: 3rd T20 Zimbabwe v Bangladesh (7th May 2024)

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Kriterion_BD

Re: Match Thread: 3rd T20 Zimbabwe v Bangladesh (7th May 2024)

Post by Kriterion_BD »

3 games, this series is honestly a red flag for both sides, and I'll explain why.

From a Bangladeshi perspective, although they might be up 3-0, the series has been closer than that scoreline suggests, and they could still very possibly lose two games to finish 3-2. I fully expect them to lose one game at least, regardless of whether they test some bench strength or not. The 2nd and 3rd games ended up kind of close, and one or two decent knocks from a top order batter sees ZIM over the line. Last game one more half decent knock sees ZIM win. Bangladesh's top order has not impressed...the middle order has done OK with Tawhid and Jaker and Mahmudullah but the top 3 haven't contributed, and Tamim's 67 required two or three sitters to be dropped.

For Zimbabwe the negatives are losing to a rather mediocre 9th ranked side thats still quite a ways away from being competitive with the top sides. Had this been an ODI series it wouldn't be as bad since Bangladesh are a solid ODI side. The top order is non-existent, and while the bowling has been disciplined, its lacked bite. The fielding has also been less impressive than it could be. The bright spots are of course Campbell and Bennett...but the key will be maintaining that consistency in the series and seasons ahead.

Still two games left so either side can still change my views, but that window is closing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtuZBykSzM (Noreaga - Blood Money Part 3)

TapsC2

Post by TapsC2 »

Kriterion_BD wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:49 am
3 games, this series is honestly a red flag for both sides, and I'll explain why.

From a Bangladeshi perspective, although they might be up 3-0, the series has been closer than that scoreline suggests, and they could still very possibly lose two games to finish 3-2. I fully expect them to lose one game at least, regardless of whether they test some bench strength or not. The 2nd and 3rd games ended up kind of close, and one or two decent knocks from a top order batter sees ZIM over the line. Last game one more half decent knock sees ZIM win. Bangladesh's top order has not impressed...the middle order has done OK with Tawhid and Jaker and Mahmudullah but the top 3 haven't contributed, and Tamim's 67 required two or three sitters to be dropped.

For Zimbabwe the negatives are losing to a rather mediocre 9th ranked side thats still quite a ways away from being competitive with the top sides. Had this been an ODI series it wouldn't be as bad since Bangladesh are a solid ODI side. The top order is non-existent, and while the bowling has been disciplined, its lacked bite. The fielding has also been less impressive than it could be. The bright spots are of course Campbell and Bennett...but the key will be maintaining that consistency in the series and seasons ahead.

Still two games left so either side can still change my views, but that window is closing.
Liton Das has been the biggest worry for me from your perspective. The last dismissal was a very bad sign for me. Completely out of form

Googly

Post by Googly »

Ya was about to say the same thing. That third same shot in a row was wither him being stubborn or he was out of ideas. Such a good player and in terrible form.

It's like Raza. If this was Raza's debut for Zim, or Ervine's or Williams for that matter, they'd join all our other batters on the musical carousel. Or banished forever.

We've got this problem of having about 12 batters that are all fairly similar and none quite making the grade. The "selectors" and I use that word loosely just keep chopping and changing and everyone's nerves are shattered.

Honestly we need someone who knows what they're doing and these guys need to go into some sort of camp for a month and at the end of it the guy needs to come up with a short list and say- right these 5 are the best, I'll work with these dudes and persevere with them coz they're all you've got in the meantime.

There are two other guys we're also going to see-
Mupfudza, whom I've mentioned and is somebody's favourite, and Musekiwa who can hit a long ball. Both guys are decent enough, but they'll struggle against international bowlers. As a fact they're going to become part of the merry-go-round.

Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

This has to be the team for the 4th T20

Raza (c)
Campbell
Williams
Ervine
Bennett
Madande (wk)
Burl
Akram
Masakadza
Ngarava
Muzarabani

zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

Mr Twig wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:39 am

Raza (c)
Campbell
Williams
Ervine
Bennett
Madande (wk)
Burl
Akram
Masakadza
Ngarava
Muzarabani
Shuffling the deckchairs on the Titanic.

Supports: Southern Rocks

Post by 55727835 »

Mr Twig wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 11:39 am

Raza (c)
Campbell
Williams
Ervine
Bennett
Madande (wk)
Burl
Akram
Masakadza
Ngarava
Muzarabani
Pretty strongly agree with this lineup. Absolutely insane that I want Akram in an XI, but here we are. I'm imagining Marumani will get another go over Burl or Ervine. Please for the love of fucking christ leave Gumbie out.

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Raza opening :lol:

Everyone knows it makes sense

Donald

Post by Donald »

South African former cricketer HP ackerman has made the statement that Zimbabwe has all the pieces of the puzzle but in all the wrong places.

Maybe adds some weight to bizarre selections and people like Raza and Burl not moving up order.

ZIMDOGGY
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by ZIMDOGGY »

I cant fault a Raza/Burl opening combo.
Raza especially. You need your best T20 player to open with the powerplays, espexially when surrounded by dregs.

Burl can hit early 6s and be of use
Cricinfo profile of the 'James Bond' of cricket:

FULL NAME: Angus James Mackay
BORN: 13 June 1967, Harare
KNOWN AS: Gus Mackay

'The' Gus Mackay.

Hero.
Sportsman.
Artist.
Player.

Q. VUSI SIBANDA, WHERE DO YOU HOP?

A. UNDA DA ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE*

Pat_Bee

Post by Pat_Bee »

Absolutely need your best players opening, this isn’t like 2009 anymore where you build a platform and your best guys come in down the order. We’re not good enough to build a platform anyway :lol:

Ponsonby is a senior man nowadays, he should be up the order. He should be up the order anyway tbh but especially if he ain’t bowling.