Match Thread: Pakistan v Zimbabwe, 2nd ODI

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Re: Match Thread: Pakistan v Zimbabwe, 2nd ODI

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Unless Chigumbura can take a hattrick in his final 2 overs, I think this game is gone.

But wow, Zimbabwe have been very competitive, and it is good to see that their bowling was strengthened by Brend replacing Mpofu. Obviously, Utseya's injury (he injured himself when batting - at the time I didn't realise it was serious, but he was hopping around on one foot) has exposed the bowling depth, so I would expect to see Maruma play in the next match in place of Matsikenyeri (or maybe Maruma and Mpofu will both come in if Utseya has to be sidelined).

andy24
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by andy24 »

masakdza wont be hapy. two droped catches and he droped one. :(

andy24

Post by andy24 »

gess three droped catches. i was goin to say zim have fielded well. :(

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Code: Select all

45.1  	Chibhabha to Shahid Afridi, 1 run, Dropped: but a brilliant effort by Sibanda, Afridi slices uppishly on the front foot, Sibanda runs to his left, nearly catches it one-handed, he appears to have it in control but the ball slips out
That was a very very difficult opportunity. And our good friend Hugo says "you can't let those chances go, no excuses at this level". Give me a break Hugo, that was a bloody difficult chance. Go back to reading the news.

andy24

Post by andy24 »

even though zim lost, great effort by them. i still think they should of made more. i think they did great with the ball. without utseya. price was fantastic. i think the batting just needs to b little bit better. zim havnt humilated themselves atleast. they have been very competive

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

I agree. If we had made 270... wow, it would have been a whole different game. Perhaps next time we should bowl first.

I think these changes for the 3rd ODI:

In: Maruma, Mpofu
Out: Matsikenyeri, Utseya

The middle order is our biggest problem. It seems very simple to me... Masakadza moves into the middle order! He has proven he can bat well, so put him at number 5 or 6 so we have someone who can score in the last 20 overs. Likewise, Taylor batted well but is better suited as opener.

Sibanda, Taylor, Chibhabha, Taibu, Masakadza, Williams, Chigumbura, Brent, Price, Maruma, Mpofu

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Another disappointing result and yet another lost opportunity.

The frustrating thing about the Zim side to me, is that the individual players are there and they are turning in good individual performances but, and a very big but, when are they going to start putting these performances together as a team ?

If this side could start firing together they are more than capable of putting scores of 300 on the board and then give the bowlers a chance to relax a bit and bowl with more freedom and less worry. The more uptight and worried about the scoring rate a bowler is, the more likely he is to get knocked around.

Come on lads, lets see you turn in a good TEAM performance in game 3, you are definitely getting there.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

Yet again Zimbabwe blew the chance of winning a match. These batting collapses are becoming tiresome. This Zimbabwe ODI team has played too many matches for inexperience to be used as an excuse. Also the fielding als o let us down at times with too many dropped chances.

I see a few others on this forum have commented about the lack of fast bowlers. This is a real problem (not just for Zimbabwe). Whatever happened to Ryan Bennett and Ian Nicolson. I seem to recall they bowled rather quickly. Although their accuracy wasnt always the greatest.

Lets hope Zimbabwe can pull things together for the third match.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

I think Ian Nicholson went to South Africa to play for the Highveld Lions academy team. Not sure what Bennett is up to.