How fast do the Zimbabwean "quicks" bowl?

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

How fast do the Zimbabwean "quicks" bowl?

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Following on from the brief discussion we had in the match thread about this, I compiled a list of the speeds the so called "quicks" bowl at :lol:

Feel free to view the page if you want to see more information, but I will include the meat of it here.

http://www.brmtaylor.com/players/bowler_speeds.html - Bowler speeds
brmtaylor.com wrote:Elton Chigumbura (max 135 kmh · avg 127 kmh)
Gary Brent (max 115 kmh · avg 110 kmh)
Chamu Chibhabha (max 120 kmh · avg 115 kmh)
Raymond Price (max 90 kmh · avg 85 kmh)
Hamilton Masakadza (max 110 kmh · avg 105 kmh)
I wasn't able to get Utseya as he didn't bowl, nor could I get Sean Williams because it the stream was cutting in and out (although at a guess I would say ~100km, he looks to be quite quick as far as spinners go).

Brent is exceptionally slow. The guy cannot bowl fast. I thought maybe he would be mid 120's, but not at all the case. Most of his balls are 105-115, his slower balls are mid 90's.

Chigumbura is decent. I wish he could bowl 5 or 10k's faster. At 135 kmh he is the only bowler we have that you could call fast-medium. He is our only spearhead. I haven't seen what Mpofu or Mupariwa clock at, but I imagine it might be 125-130.

These figures highlight the urgent need to get a genuine quick bowler. I'm against fast tracking players unless it is absolutely necessary, but personally, I think if there is a bowler anywhere in Zimbabwe, regardless of age or background or games played, that can bowl 145-150 he should be put into the Zimbabwe Provinces squad immediately.

jimbo

Re: How fast do the Zimbabwean "quicks" bowl?

Post by jimbo »

May is suggest either mahwire or rainsford. I have criticised mahwire at ODI level before but he's the only one who can swing the ball at good pace.Might be able to unsettle the pakistani batsmen rather than the gentle pace they've been offered thus far
Rainsford is also a good bet for me i am wondering how he gets categorised by the selectors because of the quota system which people have spoke about. Rainsford is mixed race but the whole quoto system is abhorrent and offensive if it is being used

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

jimbo wrote:May is suggest either mahwire or rainsford. I have criticised mahwire at ODI level before but he's the only one who can swing the ball at good pace.Might be able to unsettle the pakistani batsmen rather than the gentle pace they've been offered thus far
Rainsford is also a good bet for me i am wondering how he gets categorised by the selectors because of the quota system which people have spoke about. Rainsford is mixed race but the whole quoto system is abhorrent and offensive if it is being used
I know, I don't think anyone agrees with the quota system. zimdan in Bulawayo said both white and black cricket fans called up to a talkback radio saying that quotas should go. Williams, Taylor, Brent and Price all played today, and that has been the case for a few matches now, so it appears they have done away with the 3-8 quota which we believed was going on before.

As far as Mahwire and Rainsford go, unless Utseya is out for the series, I doubt they will fly in any reserves. And even if they do, it is more likely than not going to be a spinner (Graeme Cremer is next in line I would think).

Is Rainsford better than Mpofu or Mupariwa? That is the question. The last time I saw Rainsford was the World Cup I think. In all honesty I can't remember too much of him, but I think he deserves a chance rather than the occasional match for Zimbabwe Provinces. Maybe we will see him in the South African domestic one-day competition next month.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

I believe he is better yes. When i saw him in the first couple of matches against west indies 2006 tour he was making gayle,sarwan and co hop around and was getting appreciable bounce. He also has an excellent yorker. Dont think Mpofu has aquired one of those yet. Mupariwa is more a brent style type bowler without brents variations and lower order batting ability

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Your view on Mupariwa sounds pretty spot on. I remember him in the Twenty20 World Cup, but if I recall he was a touch quicker than Brent.

You don't happen to have an idea of Rainsford's speed do you?

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

135-140k ithink the speedometer set him 2006 in the carribean on occasions.

We need a spearhead and a good first change. Its unfair on chibhabha to bowl first change. With an economy rate of over 7 runs an over i dont even think some intercontinental sides like Bermuda or U.A.E would bowl him first change if he was in their side

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

jimbo wrote:135-140k ithink the speedometer set him 2006 in the carribean on occasions.

We need a spearhead and a good first change. Its unfair on chibhabha to bowl first change. With an economy rate of over 7 runs an over i dont even think some intercontinental sides like Bermuda or U.A.E would bowl him first change if he was in their side
:lol: True. I think Chibhabha should be used sparingly, as Andrew Symonds of Australia is used. Bring him on for a spell here and there, but don't use him as a front line bowler. Chibhabha has a knack of getting a wicket or two, but he can be so, so expensive.

As for Bermuda, if Chamu Chibhabha was in their team he'd open the bowling, open the batting, captain the team, and keep wickets when his bowling spell was over.

If he could get to 140 kmh that wouldn't be bad. Because with good training and coaching, maybe that could turn into 145+.

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

If think there are unrealistic expectations put on chibhabha thats all in terms of the next all-rounder. He is a good batsman thats for sure but let him work on that alone without added pressure of first change. Recently he has exelled in his batting, I think it will knock his confidence going for so many runs....
We saw today that masacadza did a good holding job before afridi came in..He's the andrew symonds type bowler that we need.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

And Masakadza is a lot more experienced - he's been playing Tests since 2001, so maybe he can afford to have the added responsibility of bowling the occasional spell.

zulu

Post by zulu »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:And Masakadza is a lot more experienced - he's been playing Tests since 2001, so maybe he can afford to have the added responsibility of bowling the occasional spell.
Watched the game today it was their seam bowling aswell as their lower batting order that let them down. They need rainsford back in the side hes the quickest bowler in the country for me, but for the next ODI id get Mupariwa in because hes the most accurate bowler while the other seamers spray it around and thats what they need someone to put the ball in the right areas, Pricey was amazing today bowled with brilliant control.

Zimbabwe need that 135-140 kmh bowler if they are goin to play test cricket all this military medium isnt gonna challenge most test teams