Zim cricket’s positive problem

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
zimfan1
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by zimfan1 »

By Makomborero Mutimukulu

NEWLY appointed convenor of selectors Alistair Campbell and his team must be having sleepless nights amid intense competition for national team shirts ahead of the five-match ODI series against Bangladesh next month.

As The Tigers were riding on cloud nine with a historic Test win over a depleted West Indies in the Caribbean, a provisional 19-member Zimbabwe squad was drenching Harare Sports Club in sweat.

Vusi Sibanda, Hamilton Masakadza, Chamunorwa Chibhabha and returnee Mark Vermeulen spent the week making strong cases for the opening batsman’s slot.

Walter Chawaguta, the national team coach who also sits on the selection committee, disclosed that he is yet to make his mind on the opening partnership he will trust with doing battle against Bangladesh in Bulawayo.

"I am having a positive headache with regards to the opening partnership," said the national team coach.

"We have four good batsmen in Vusi, Mark, Chibhabha and Masakadza, who are striking the ball well and pushing hard for that opening slot.

"Vermeulen has been working hard since his return and will definitely be in the top three, but I am not sure as to whether he will open the batting or will come in at number three," added Chawaguta.

The return of Vermeulen and Charles Coventry seems to have scared some national team players who were of late floating in the comfort zone.

Despite putting up some shoddy performances, some lads continued to put on the national team shirt due to a thin player base.

"The time for us to play someone because he is the only one available has gone. Every member of the 19-man squad we will be taking to Victoria Falls for a team-bonding session next weekend appreciates that they will only take to the park against Bangladesh on merit.

"So intense has been the competition that we are yet to decide whether to name a 15-man squad or just stick with 19, which is something we can afford to do as we are having a home series," said Chawaguta.

Chawaguta added that with the Bangladeshi visit drawing closer, attention has now turned to working on some parts of his team’s game that need perfecting.

On Friday the national team coach spent an extra hour on the park "perfecting" the art of effecting run-outs with all-rounder Graeme Cremer.

Meanwhile, captain Prosper Utseya, fully aware that only a series victory over Bangladesh will suffice, has implored his troops to be "hungry for success and have the killer instinct".

Over the years Zimbabwe have carved themselves a reputation of playing well in one session and horribly losing the plot in the next, something Utseya wants addressed.

"We cannot continue hiding behind the fact that we are young and learning, it’s about time we started delivering," the national team captain reportedly told his teammates during behind-door meetings.

Utseya, in an interview, disclosed that they would be looking at slogging the Bangladeshi spinners, who have always given Zimbabwe nightmares, out of their rhythm.

"It is imperative that we play their spinners well because on a number of occasions we have lost to Bangladesh because we failed to deal with their spin attack.

"I believe everyone who is in camp now appreciates that we have to be hungry for success, have the killer instinct rather than be content with playing well without winning," he said.

With most players having averaged over 50 ODIs, the nation expects Walter Chawaguta’s side to do the business against Bangladesh, who will be jetting into the country on a high after their exploits against the troubled West Indies.

The return of players such as Vermeulen and the good form of some Zimbabwe A lads has given the selectors options and increased competition for places in the final squad.

All eyes are now on former opener Campbell and his committee as they finalise the selection of a team that has no option but to get an emphatic series win over the Tigers.
http://www.sundaymail.co.zw/inside.aspx ... 996&cat=18

zimfan1

Re: Zim cricket’s positive problem

Post by zimfan1 »

Wow so lookers like Vermeulen will defiantly be making a return in Zimbabwe co lours, all i can say is well done to the chap as there is a guy who has never given up as has got what he deserves.

Not sure about the ploy of SLOGGING the spinners though, sounds a very unprofessional phrase to say, wouldn't "attacking" the spinners be a better choice of words?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Not good news for Taylor, if he's not in that 19 man group at Vic Falls it's pretty hard to see him making the team.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Not good news for Taylor, if he's not in that 19 man group at Vic Falls it's pretty hard to see him making the team.
Hmmm yeah i'm a little worried here but hoping that Taylor and Williams are penciled in at four and five but remember Taylor may end up keeping which may mean they want to bat him at five or six

But we need to remember that Campbell will pick the sqaud and not Chawaguta, and it is a 5 match series so there is always room for changes

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Could end up happening that Taylor isn't selected in the squad, but plays in the warm-up match against Bangladesh.

If he plays well, maybe then he would be a late addition.

zimfan1

Post by zimfan1 »

I think this whole Taylor situation could get very messy indeed, if you look from the players who have been in the training camps point of veiw, will they be happy about working hard for a month preparing themselves for this must win series and then seeing Taylor fly in for the UK and take his place in the team?

Detective RDS

Post by Detective RDS »

zimfan1 wrote:I think this whole Taylor situation could get very messy indeed, if you look from the players who have been in the training camps point of veiw, will they be happy about working hard for a month preparing themselves for this must win series and then seeing Taylor fly in for the UK and take his place in the team?
Sensible thinking! I'm also worried about Brendan Taylor. It's also a factor that Alistair Campbell is the selector not Chwaguta. So, what he says doesn't really matter. But it can't be also denied that the coach also participate in the team selection, I mean he says about his choices as far as I know...

Talking about Chwaguta's top order choice he is thinking about Sibanda, Masakadza, Chibhabha and Vermeulen. If form comes into play, I think Sibanda will be axed anyways. But I don't find any room for Chibhabha if both Waller and Mutizwa is selected. (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=696)

There is also Williams and Coventry. Their recovery from injury will also be a fact. But I guess they both will be available for selection.

No mention of Taibu and Matsikenyeri also.

Brendan Taylor, I think if he appears in the warm up match and plays well as brmtaylor.com admin mentioned, will be seleted. He is an automatic selection although.

Tinashce Ruswa

Post by Tinashce Ruswa »

well well what do you know finally the team is not cast in stone anymore..prayed would see this day whilst we still playing, I know also Maregwede is there so I do wish the selected team all the best and would not be to quick to pencil in a team yet coz all that matters is how good the people are NOW relative to all these comeback kids

I hope everyone is true to their word selectors and Walter included and professionalism reigns supreme such that FINALLY they select on merit, ability and stats, no need for dead wood now they are my boys n all but you cannot be still be on a learning after 50 ODI's, great that Prosper is telling errone to be hungry and ready coz now they know if you slip up you gone....Wish them all the best and I know whoever plays in the starting 11 will play for their life coz it ain't automatic anymore.all the best we will be watching