Best cricket commentators from Zimbabwe

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Best cricket commentators from Zimbabwe

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

Since I saw the criticism of the commentators in the ongoing Zim-Pak series, I thought of creating a thread for appreciating the best of Zimbabwean commentators.

For me, Pommie Mbangwa has established himself as one of the best broadcasters going around the world today. The clarity of thought, spontaneity and insight into the game which comes out in his commentary is simply superb. Although not an avid fan of South African cricket, I have recently started watching a lot of their home matches, just to listen to Pommie :). Pommie Mbangwa and Mike Haysman is my dream commentary pair.

Apart from Pommie, I really liked the deep insights of Andy Pycroft and crispy Alistair Campbell. Kudos to Dean Du Plessis. He is a special achiever.

Among others, I find David Houghton, Neil Johnson, Mluleki Nkala, Henry Olonga, and others, a bit too mild. They cannot create that excitement that is very much necessary in cricket commentary. But clearly, they are not the worst.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Re: Best cricket commentators from Zimbabwe

Post by maehara »

Houghton's good for post-match analysis - Sky in the UK make use of him for that quite a bit. But yes, not so good at live commentary.

How Dean du Plessis can tell as much as he can simply from the stump mikes amazes me - clearly very passionate about the game, and has a good depth of knowledge. Heard him during the Zimbabwe v India series a few years ago, and he did a few good commentary stints.

Pommie's head-and-shoulders above them all, though...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Pommie is world class.

Of the regulars, I've only heard Pommie and Pycroft (Pycroft in the Zim vs Ban 2006 series, and Pommie on various other occasions). I haven't heard du Plessis, Olonga, Hondo or Campbell. Hugo "Capt Obvious" is among the worst I've heard from any countries...

jimbo

Post by jimbo »

HUGO wont make the list then....The most subjective least Objective commentator there is probably!!!! :evil:

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

jimbo wrote:HUGO wont make the list then....The most subjective least Objective commentator there is probably!!!! :evil:
:lol: :lol: Great post

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I have always liked Andy Pycroft as a commentator. Mbangwa does a good job also.
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

Pommie Mbangwa and Dean Du Plessis for me, those guys know the game inside out. I loved their commentries and analysis.