Match Thread: Griqualand West v Zim Provinces

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Cribbage

Re: Match Thread: Griqualand West v Zim Provinces

Post by Cribbage »

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:I guess a night watchman will be sent in if there are less than 5 or 6 overs to go, probably Mahwire.
Mahwire has been batting fairly high himself in these games, though - so high that you'd almost expect him to require a nightwatchman himself if he was next in with a few overs remaining! I'd be backing Garwe to get the honours, giving his averages 36 balls per dismissal in FC cricket and only 9 runs. I've never seen him bat but it indicates a decentish defence and the right mindset.
Train Driver wrote:I think it is a major breakthrough this year that Zim sides are now able to regroup and fight back.
Agreed. Really, it's a byproduct of the younger guys getting some experience and backing themselves are these higher levels.

Cribbage

Post by Cribbage »

Cribbage wrote:Duffin's form is quite obviously shocking of late (how long has it been since he even got off the mark?!?) but I'm backing him to do well in this game. Place in the team under pressure, presumably good batting conditions chasing what will likely be a big first innings score - all tailor-made for a Duffin special of attrition, mental strength and technical bliss.
Well, so much for that. Duffin falls for 9. Not to a particularly good bowler, either.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Last bat T Duffin c Koortzen b C Pietersen 9 (18m 15b 1x4 0x6) SR: 60.00
Fow: 14/1 (4.4 ov); Partnership: 14 runs, 4.4 overs, RR: 3.00
:(

zulu

Post by zulu »

poor batting from Dufin once again :(...... I First watched him play in the westIndies series in 2006 when he was captain and he was very vunerable early on in his innings to qaulity pace bowling.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

Mawoyo out for 7 now as well, 28-2 in the 14th over :cry:

Cribbage

Post by Cribbage »

Ouch, 2/27. FFS Charl Pietersen owning us - his record indicates he's pretty much rubbish as a bowler, too.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

He certainly didn't do much when he was over here with Northamptonshire.

Left arm seamers do seem to have had a good amount of success in the last few years. Apart from Prosper Tsvanhu are there any others around Zim ?. I remember Allan Mwayenga from a couple of years ago, what happened to him and his brother ??

Cribbage

Post by Cribbage »

Waddy had the worst action ever so even if he was a decent FC player in Zimbabwe, I'm glad he's out of the picture. Alan did very well when he played for Zimbabwe A in a few series, so it's a shame he's off the scene.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Mujuru gone now as well, 61-3.

Chakabva has joined Kasteni so there will, hopefully, be no nightwatchman.

Train Driver

Post by Train Driver »

Could be better, could be worse, Zim finishing on 72-3 from 25 overs with Kasteni 24* and Chakabva 8*.

It seems an unusual decision to send Chakabva in with less than 5 overs to go but it worked and hopefully these two plus Nyamuzinga and Cremer can get fairly close to the Griqualand total.

Unless something strange happens in the GW 2nd innings I can't see that the Zim batting will be strong enough to get a win out of this game, but i'm more than happy to be proved wrong.

Another good fight back today, when GW were 242-4 things were looking a bit bad, but full marks to the bowlers, especially Garwe.