Match Thread: Griqualand West v Zim Provinces

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
Cribbage

Re: Match Thread: Griqualand West v Zim Provinces

Post by Cribbage »

I'm very excited to see how Cremer will go in Franchise cricket when it comes around. He's conquered all comers in levels lower than that, but it'll be his first real test outside his stint in Test cricket which was quite some time ago now. Spinners typically haven't done very well in SA Franchise cricket, but that could just be because they aren't very good - we've seen the national selectors pick Petersen, Adams and Boje in recent times, along with Botha just a year or two after he converted from medium pace, so it might be the quality of the bowlers rather than the pitches.

Cribbage

Post by Cribbage »

Bossenger goes as well now and Mahwire has 3. Big wicket as both set batsmen depart. Hendricks is highly rated in South African circles though - still a real danger.

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Mawhire's having a great run of form at the moment. Definitely one to watch.

Cribbage

Post by Cribbage »

Hmm. Kasteni comes on to bowl his straight breaks despite Rainsford only having bowled 9 overs. I hope he's okay. Kasteni getting belted as well, it's worth noting.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

Cribbage wrote:Kasteni comes on to bowl his straight breaks
LMAO, thanks for that. I really laughed out loud when I read that :lol: :lol: :lol:

maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by maehara »

Last bat RR Hendricks lbw b Garwe 47 (73m 57b 7x4 1x6) SR: 82.45
Fow: 281/6 (71.5 ov); Partnership: 39 runs, 6.3 overs, RR: 6.00

And another one. I could have sworn I saw someone predict a 400+ innings for GW, but I can't find the post now.. Looking unlikely at this point, I think...

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

brmtaylor.com admin wrote:Duffin kept his spot. I'm shocked.

Well, it looks like GriqW are going to make at least 400, let's hope our batting holds up. Funnily, I've got more hope in the performances of Chakabva and Cremer with the bat than Duffin, Mawoyo, Kasteni and Mujuru combined.

3/172

Welcome to the forum Utseyalitharan :D
I think at 6 down 400 is still possible. 350+ would be likely I think?

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

I guess not :P

Griqualand West 293 (79.2 ov)

Great spell by Garwe at the end, ended the innings with figures of 4/49. Cremer ends with a respectable 2/94 considering he bowled 27 overs. 22 overs until the end of play, ideally Mawoyo and Duffin will bat out the overs, but realistically speaking we would be in a decent position to be about 1/50 by stumps.

I guess a night watchman will be sent in if there are less than 5 or 6 overs to go, probably Mahwire.

Train Driver
Supports: MidWest Rhinos

Post by Train Driver »

I think it is a major breakthrough this year that Zim sides are now able to regroup and fight back.

It has seemed in the last couple of years that when the going gets hard they have tended to give up, the players are now toughing it out and showing themselves to be worthy opponents.

A few wins can make a lot of difference, I know it's a long shot but if they could actually win this SAA series people may actually begin to notice how cricket is improving in Zim, long may it continue.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Duffin's off the mark. In fact he's going hell for leather with 8 runs from 8 balls including a four :P

Zimbabwe Provinces 12/0 (2.5 ov)

Just under 20 overs to go until stumps, or about an hour and a half. I'm not sure if they play the extra half hour in the SAA competition, but at this rate we might get up around 75-85 by stumps, which would be nice to take off the lead considering it is a 3-day match. If we have wickets in hand, I suppose we will try and get a lead of 75 or so, and declare mid way through tomorrow, hopefully giving us enough time to knock them over and score whatever we need to secure the win.