Vermeulen Cleared

Participate in discussion with your fellow Zimbabwe cricket fans!
maehara
Administrator
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Vermeulen Cleared

Post by maehara »

Probably no surprise here, but former national-side cricketer Mark Vermeulen has been cleared of arson charges relating to the burning down of buildings at the Zimbabwe Cricket Academy and ZC offices at Harare Sports Club. Vermeulen admitted to both incidents, but had pleased not guilty to the charges on grounds of psychiactric illness. After both defence and government medical reports confirmed his mental state, provincial magistrate Mr Mishrod Guvamombe has now ruled in Vermeulen's favour.

Vermeulen has been on rare form this season for his club side, Old Hararians, who he also captains. He's also never made any secret of his desire to play for the national side again. One wonders if ZC will be able to put this incident behind them, and give him another chance...

Cribbage

Re: Vermeulen Cleared

Post by Cribbage »

ZC looking beyond politics and personal grudges, and picking teams purely on merit? Huh! He might get a run for the Provinces team, but I doubt even that.

I don't think this is the last we'll hear of him, though, and sadly I doubt that'll be because of his cricket..

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

I'm surprised. I thought he would get jail time for this, but it seemed that may not be the case since the government psychiatrist helped his cause. Well, I hope everyone gets on from this incident and I hope Vermeulen can stay out of trouble.

I don't think he'll play for Zimbabwe again to be honest. ZC are filthy with him for destroying the academy.

Kopje
Supports: Mashonaland Eagles

Post by Kopje »

I am glad he has been accquitted, but i dont think he will play for Zim as well.

eugene
Supports: Matabeleland Tuskers

Post by eugene »

I am glad Vermeulen has been cleared. I have no idea how he would have lasted in Zimbqbwe's hellish prisons.

I doubt he will ever play for Zimbabwe again. Personally I am in two minds about the issue. I know he was suffering severe psychological issues, but on the other hand he did considerable damage to Zimbabwe Cricket and has a poor disciplinary record. Also someone in a fragile mental state is probably not fit for the rigours of international cricket. What would happen if he was dropped again?
Neil Johnson, Alistair Campbell, Murray Goodwin, Andy Flower (w), Grant Flower, Dave Houghton, Guy Whittall, Heath Streak (c), Andy Blignaut, Ray Price, Eddo Brandes

CrimsonAvenger
Supports: Mountaineers

Post by CrimsonAvenger »

I am glad for Vermuelen too. But as far as him playing for Zimbabwe again is concerned, I think it will be a distant dream.

If I am not wrong, he has had run ins with the establishment even before that head injury. They might just choose to look beyond him, which, in this case, might be a better option for Zimbabwean Cricket too.

brmtaylor.com admin
Administrator

Post by brmtaylor.com admin »

http://content-www.cricinfo.com/zimbabw ... 36722.html

I hope he is allowed to play for Westerns (if he plays, Westerns will win all three competitions :mrgreen:). His experience is vital. The likes of Wishart, Carlisle and Streak are gone. Vermeulen is one of the few remaining from the better days, and would no doubt help the up and coming Westerns batsmen (and maybe from other provinces too, in the Zimbabwe Provinces team perhaps as he makes his way back).

aydee

Post by aydee »

I think it's highly unlikely that he will ever be allowed near the national team again. However, if he was to play domestic cricket, I think this would be beneficial, as he is comparatively a very experienced cricketer, who will also considerably raise the standard of the competitions.